$2.25 NLHE Turbo: Intresting Turbo SnG Hand, + or - EV?

C

Chamaican666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2.25 NL HE Turbo: Intresting Turbo SnG Hand, + or - EV?

Ok here is an intresting situation/hand that i recently encountered and I want to know everyone else's thoughts on it. I will post my reasons and my ideas on the hand at the end of the Hand History.

full tilt poker Game #13700435900: $2 + 0.25 Sit & Go (Turbo) (101151955), Table 1 - 300/600 - No Limit Hold'em - 22:56:57 ET - 2009/07/29
Seat 4: Jrancor (4,080)
Seat 5: Chamaican66 (6,420)
Seat 9: Mahukusyapa (3,000)
Jrancor posts the small blind of 300
Chamaican66 posts the big blind of 600
The button is in seat #9
Jrancor: ty
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Chamaican66 [9s 4s]
Jrancor: got some now
Mahukusyapa: so u waited all that time for Q4
Mahukusyapa has 15 seconds left to act
Mahukusyapa: great play
Mahukusyapa raises to 3,000, and is all in
Jrancor folds
Chamaican66 calls 2,400
Mahukusyapa shows [As Jd]
Chamaican66 shows [9s 4s]
*** FLOP *** [Qc 9h 5c]
*** TURN *** [Qc 9h 5c] [7h]
*** RIVER *** [Qc 9h 5c 7h] [9c]
Mahukusyapa shows a pair of Nines
Chamaican66 shows three of a kind, Nines
Chamaican66 wins the pot (6,300) with three of a kind, Nines
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 6,300 | Rake 0
Board: [Qc 9h 5c 7h 9c]
Seat 4: Jrancor (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 5: Chamaican66 (big blind) showed [9s 4s] and won (6,300) with three of a kind, Nines
Seat 9: Mahukusyapa (button) showed [As Jd] and lost with a pair of Nines

Ok so here is the situation, I am a big stack at over 6k chips (10BB) as the Blinds are 300/600. Both Opponents have been tight and I have been taking quite a few blinds. The Opponent Pushed 3k into a 900 pot (from the blinds) the SB folds and I am left to a decision. I have 5k+ left and have to call 2.4K more, so close to half my stack. He is a tight player so I know he has a decent ace or better or any pocket pair. I look down at 94s. Well I am getting 1.5:1 on my money and unless he is holding a large pocket pair or A9 (he wouldnt do it with K9) then im most likely a 60%-40% dog. If I win the hand, I will be heads up with about a 4 to 1 chip lead on the other guy. If i lose the hand I will be about even with other guy and it wouldnt be hard for me to build my stack again (within 2 orbits, since they are playing fairly tight). So I made the call, won the hand, and went on to win the SnG.

However, the guy came back when we were in heads up play adn started raving about how that was such a donk call. I was fairly sure that It was correct when i made it but after he had talked to me, I wasnt quite sure if it was a +EV play since if he had a pocket pair (its almost always going to be better than my 4) then im a real underdog and not getting the correct odds.

What are your guys opinions on the hand? I think its a very intresting call, still leaning towards saying that it was a correct decision but not sure.

PS: If i had something like A2-A7 I would of layed it down. I would rly need A-9and better if i was gunna call with an ace in my hand.

Thoughts? Opinions? Comments?

A

abomb576

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not that good, but i would say it was a donk call. He has two overs and the only thing you have going for you is that you are suited.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can only make this call if you are 90%+ sure that opponent only has 2 overs and even then you are only 35% to win. With your read on your table advantage I'd prefer to just keep wearing them down instead of taking shots.

Implied Odds3

Implied Odds3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both Opponents have been tight and I have been taking quite a few blinds.

Why not keep taking the blinds..? Also, why would you risk evening out the chip stacks when you could fold and continue to push them around with a big stack.
You aren't sure he doesn't have a pocket pair, which, if he does, you are dominated. I just don't get the logic of calling half of you're stack knowing you are behind but hoping you are in a 60/40 situation where, in reality, you could easily be dominated.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands