* * shlomdog111 calls [505] [ all-in ]
* * BB shows : 8♥ K♦ Hero shows : A♥ 9♥
* * 1 players fold.
* * Uncalled bet of 710 returned to BB
* * Total folds this street: 1
* * Potsize: 1746
River: 3♥
* * BB shows two pair, Kings and Eights
* * Hero shows a flush, Ace high Hero wins the pot (2,250) with a flush, Ace high

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

notice that the villain check raised me on the flop with his 2pair. and i called feeling rather committed.
before the river i figured could have only a king a lot of times, and for that i considered the aces in the deck to be winners as well sometimes. of course at that stage i felt very committed and thus moved in. he gave the standard "this site sucks, all players are donks here" speech.

was he right? was i so wrong to move in?

thanks.

Juniorsdaddy

Juniorsdaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being short stacked, I don't see a problem moving all-in when you did. You were in a multi-way pot, and if another heart hits you win huge. If not, better luck next time. Your opponent made the right move, as did you. Luck was just on your side.

FatBasset

FatBasset

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess my question is why u just called the re-raise on flop? By calling you had nearly half your pre-flop chips in the pot. Was there something that might have come on the turn that would make you fold? If not might as well shove on the flop.

T

tonelise

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
what i don't understand is the bid on the flop?
trying to semibluff a bigstack is seldom a very good idea imo (unless you have some good readings on him). Actually he would have got what he deserved after slowplaying the flop.
and with those flush- and straightdraws, isn't the goal to get there as cheap as possible?
But then again i'm not very experienced myself.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree, don't limp preflop. Unopened pot, in LP, M=15, make you 3xBB or 3.5xBB raise. Then on this flop make your normal c-bet and with an overcard, nut FD and 2 BD ST8 draws I'd feel comfortable getting AI to a raise of my c-bet.

S

Shlomdog111

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for the replies, all, i really appreciate it.
jilly, as i don't have a tracking software of any kind, i'd appreciate an explanation for th LP, M=15 thing...

i guess u guys are right - i should've moved in on flop already and not flat call the raise.
i have a bit of reasoning for the other moves on this hand you addressed:
about the limping pf, dunno, i kinda started developing a small ballish style on those low buy in sngs, just because everyone there is pretty crazy and loose, and it's workin for me so far... plus i didn't feel comfortable commiting a big part of my stack on A9 suited that spot. because i wasnt the only limper it seemed reasonable to me.
the thought behind my bet on the flop was more defensive. wanted to see another card for my flush and then when the str8 draw came out i dropped that... not that i'm trying to justify myself here, had i known it was a good play for sure i would not've post it...
your thoughts?

again, thanks a lot :)

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
M comes from Harrington book. M=stack/(ante+blinds) in your case 905/60
LP=Late Position. You are in the CO (Cut Off) and the hand is folded around to you to start so the pot is unopened.

T

Tublecain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree, don't limp preflop. Unopened pot, in LP, M=15, make you 3xBB or 3.5xBB raise. Then on this flop make your normal c-bet and with an overcard, nut FD and 2 BD ST8 draws I'd feel comfortable getting AI to a raise of my c-bet.

^^^ +1

I've become a big believer in the "Never open limp" philosophy. You put yourself in a situation where at least one, if not all of your opponents, will be holding almost any two cards, meaning that unless you hit a monster you'll have no idea where you stand in the hand. If you're going to call, you're better off raising.

By raising you kill several birds with one stone: you have a chance at winning money, you have initiative in the hand, you gain information on your opponents, you show strength, you eliminate random hands that could otherwise "sneak up" on you, and if you do it in position all of this becomes even more of an advantage.

By flat calling, you are already showing weakness, have no information on your opponents' hands, have given away information on yours (it's weak and can be pushed around), are allowing the BB and the SB to basically see the flop with any two cards, have no initiative, and if you do it in the cutoff (as you do here) you let the button get in for cheap and give up a chance at having position on everyone for the rest of the hand.

Another point I'd like to make regards the hand history itself. It's considered good hand history etiquette to NOT post the final result of the hand, preferably NOT posting your final decision, or whatever decision it is that you have doubts about. (I.e., if you're wondering whether or not you should have called the AI on the turn, then cut the hand history off there and ask us: "what would you do on the turn here, call or fold?", etc.) That will help all of us have a more objective view of the hand, and help tell you where you might have made decisions differently.

Good luck at the tables, and keep the hand histories coming!
T.