$2.25 NLHE: Checking reads

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2.25 NL HE: Checking reads

I basically just want to check my read on this with the group. We are deep, about 30 or so away from the money. I think I may have played this fairly poorly. UTG is from Romania if that helps any. I just got moved to the table - no reads.

Stacks:
* SB with 10675
* BB with 4670
* UTG with 9395
* UTG+1 with 22375
* MP1 with 9895
* MP2 with 6009
* CO with 12640
* BTN with 13451
hand.pl

Blinds:
Site: full tilt poker
* * Dealt to CO:A♣ J♥
* * Sklansky group 4
Preflop:
* * UTG calls [240]
* * 3 players fold.
* * Hero raises to 720 <-- standard raise.
* * 1 players fold.
* * SB calls [600] <-- unexpected call
* * 1 players fold.
* * UTG calls [480] <-- expected call
* * Total folds this street: 5
* * Potsize: 2400
Flop:
* * 2♥ 3♦ K♣
* * SB checks
* * UTG bets [240] <-- slowplaying kings? Aces?
* * Hero raises to 2,160 <-- Went pot-size to force the issue and get a read. This might have been bad...
* * 1 players fold. <-- SB folded (as expected)
* * UTG calls [1,920] <-- yep, he's got a hand.
* * Total folds this street: 1
* * Potsize: 6720
Turn:
* * J♦
* * UTG bets [240] <-- He's just playin' me now.
* * Hero calls [240] <-- Looking for help...
* * Potsize: 7200
River:
* * 10♣
* * UTG bets [1,200]

Looking at that river bet, I think he's trying to get value out of a big pair KK, or even two pair at this point. (K 10?)

I don't think there's any way I'm going to bluff him off the hand after he called my large bet on the flop.

Thoughts? Other than I should have play WA/WB on the flop and tried to minimize my exposure?

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

EDIT: After watching villian while typing this - he does a LOT of open limping and plays a LOT of hands loose.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raising for info is bad. You should really only raise for 3 reasons
1) You think you have it
2) You think he does not have it
3) You think you will have it later on, ie drawing.

I dont mind the raise because a min bet is usually just a stab at the pot. I just dont like your reasoning for it. However, you could raise a little less to say 1300. Does the same job.

I probably just fold the river unless I have a read, he has shown strength throughout and is unlikely to have worse than Jx

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i take it you lost the hand, all i say is too big a bet after the flop.
maybe reraise another blind, or even 50%.
if you were going to continue with the hand i think any raise would of told you if he was in it.
if opp min raises on me usually a reraise shuts them down if they don't have anything.
another lesson learned, i'm afraid the hard way.
better luck next time. :hello:

J

Johnnybmoto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I either flat or fold flop. You are plenty deep enough that you don't need to be trying to "make plays" at this point.

There is no shame in folding occasionaly when you miss flops. Just because you raised pre doesn't mean you have to continue after the flop.

Or, you can flat and see what he does on the turn. 240 into a pot that big is worthy of a call to spike an ace.

B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see how you can fold on the river when he is giving you 7:1 to call and you actually have a hand?

I agree with the consensus that your flop raise was far too large. I flat, or raise to about 700-850 here. That way it's still not too uncomfortable to fold to a reraise (which would be the most useful info you could get).

The villain's action has been so weird that there is no way to know what he might have. Open limp and call a raise pre-flop, then donk min-bet the flop, then calling an enormous raise, then min-bet the turn, then bet 1/6 pot on the river.

If he has a better hand than you he is playing it very weakly on the turn and river, and if he doesn't or is on a draw, his call on the flop is terrible. I don't know which mistake is more common, but I'm certain we're beating him enough times to call this one down especially at the price we're given.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the comments guys.

I folded the river. Just didn't think 2nd pair was good enough to risk even with 7:1.

If I had seen him play more hands, I probably would have called as the guy was a total donk. He was eliminated a level or two later. I did end up cashing.

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I either flat or fold flop. You are plenty deep enough that you don't need to be trying to "make plays" at this point.

There is no shame in folding occasionaly when you miss flops. Just because you raised pre doesn't mean you have to continue after the flop.

Or, you can flat and see what he does on the turn. 240 into a pot that big is worthy of a call to spike an ace.

Please don't go folding this when you are getting 9-1 and still have 2 cards to come. I agree that we do have to sometimes just give up our hands on the flop but with such a small bet like this we are getting enough odds to draw to our 3 aces so we should never be folding.

To the hand, I think it is fine to just call the flop. We have completely missed on this occasion and villain obviously has no clue about bet sizing etc so there is a good chance that we will only have to pay 2 bbs to see two extra cards. Although saying that I have seen a lot of this small bet on the flop, small bet on the turn, shove on the river kind of thing going on lately and I really don't know what to make of it. The couple of times that I have called them they have had very strong hands so I guess they were shoving to make it look like a bluff...

As said above, when we get to the river all the 'info' collected through the hand is just one big jumbled mess so I think we could go either way here. I would never be coming over the top of it though.