$2.20 NLHE MTT Turbo: Did I make a loose call?

T

Think

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Guy lost a big hand and I know he shoved with air from the small blind (saying he was on tilt and site was rigged LOL) . However, it was very marginal since I called with A2 off suit. Turned out I was right but he was 500 chips deep at 20-40 blinds.

Did I risk too much?

My Logic: I like to make thin calls where I believe I am right in order to accumulate as many chips as possible early on. Having a big stack is always a goal of mine but I do need to know my risk reward ratio.

I am a beginner and I will appreciate your input.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok do he had like a little over 10 BB.... If you thought he was just a crazy tilter shoving any two cards then I think your play is fine. You need to be excepting that he will sometimes have you dominated lol

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats only 10 bb but I really am trying to avoid any flips because i am not lucky on flips even i am 70/30 ahead. And with A2 It is just a coin flip so, folding should be better for you this time :)

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Don't always believe what people say in chat, in fact you should probably never believe it.

I got scammed one time in an MTT when EP raised and said it was a misclick in chat so I shoved 76s from the BB, well well well come to find out villain had KK. I was pretty short so maybe it was or wasn't a good decision, but I certainly learned something there.

Also, when people shove the next hand after losing a huge pot don't rule out the possibility that they may actually have a monster, I've seen people fall into this trap a lot. People often do shove ATC on the next hand because they're tilted and are giving up on the tournament, but the challenge is to figure out when to call and when not to.

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you have enough chips over

if you are stack is bigger than the big blings, or if you feel confident h is very tight, no matter the stack size, then it was played but if the villain pays you is not a coin flip actually you will be behind because he only will pay with a bigger ace or a pair, puting you in 30/70 odds situation where you are the underdog

by the way i´m registered to play the 2.20 which is schedule to start in just a few moments, so i hope to have a deep run or at least enter itm,

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally like to ask myself different questions prior to making a thin call.

A) How many BB's will it cost me (In your example, villain had 12.5bb's).

B) How often does villain actually shove and/from what spots does he shove from?

C) How aggressive is villain?

D) How often does villain steal the blinds? Has he/she been looked up yet (and if so what did they have)?

Once I have an answer to these questions, then I like to make my decision based on those answers..

T

Think

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I forgot to mention my stack was 4000, and he turned out to have 68o. it was close to coin flip, but I was AHEAD.
Thanks guys..

magician, everyone thinks they are unlucky.. join the club.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, if your stack was 4000, it is good call, but it is only about 60%-40% situation. I don't like too much hand A2o, because it is the weakest ace, but here you have 100bb, so you can call. Besides you have read on him that he will be push almost always any two, so probably it is right decision.

T

Think

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone. Very marginal but correct at times!

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most regs are shoving any 2 from the SB so you can call A2 pretty comfortably. Also you are risking a tiny %age of your stack.