$2.20 NLHE MTT Rebuy: Trips on the turn facing stack doubling action

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Awards
This tourney runs early and is one I play regularly when I'm able.

This event has four hours of late registration, with a starting stack of 35k.

We are about 2 hours in to this event. About half way through late reg but we are already starting to see the signs of players rebuying and jamming with sub 20bb Blind level is 1250/2500 and I have 49bb.

For the purposes of this review I will be using big blinds.

Folds around to the SB and he makes the standard aggressive move of limping.
I complete in the bb with K/9 off. No need to bluff here or inflate the pot with a marginal hand. SB has a stack that just covers me at 55bb.

Pot leading into the flop is massive - 2.5bb.

Flop comes 994 rainbow.

SB checks and I bet 1.98bb - lets get some chips in this pot - but I didn't want to go too big - overplaying my hand. To my utter surprise and delight, our opponent re-raises my bet to 6.85 - I happily make this call.

OK lets range him - he either has a 9 - or an over pair - or a 4. He could have A/9 sure - but I'm putting him on a hand that is probably worse than ours - something like 9/8 or T/9, or an overpair, however seldom do players at this level limp TTs+ in the SB. It does happen every now and then, but - seldom. He could also have a 4 which is another move some players think is good to make. I'm not in agreement with that - but some players do think a 4 is the nuts here. Does he have 44? Naw - - possible - but that never crossed my mind.

So we now have a pot - a - brewin. Going to the turn the pot is now 16.2bb

We have just over 40bb and the turn is the rainbow completing 3 of hearts. Our opponent leads out here for a pot sized bet. If we call here we will have about 25bb remaining and the pot will be 48.6.

Do you think we should just get it in here - or call - and call the river allowing our opponent to continue his charade?
I don't think folding here is an option - that would be just overly NITTY right?
FYI - folding never crossed my mind.

Looking forward to all your input.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Awards
'Folds around to the SB and he makes the standard aggressive move of limping.
I complete in the bb with K/9 off. No need to bluff here or inflate the pot with a marginal hand. SB has a stack that just covers me at 55bb.'

I have no idea what this means. If the small blind limps in, as the BB, you don't have to 'complete'. You either check and see a flop, or raise the limping SB.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Awards
Preflop
Against a SB limp we are supposed to raise very polarized with a lot of junk, that we dont mind folding, if we face a limp-reraise, and then some strong hands to balance it out and get value. K9o is definitely to in between, so taking the free flop is the correct play.

Flop
Great flop obviously, and its such a way ahead way behind spot, that I see no reason at all to put in a 3-bet. If he is somehow bluffing or overvaluing a worse hand, then by all means lets hand him the rope to continue hanging himself.

Turn
When he bet full pot, I am discounting bluffs quite a bit and putting him on probably trips or better. So I think, that if we get it in now, he is almost always calling us, and then we just need to hope, we have the best kicker. Its still a way ahead way behind spot though, so if we think, there is any chance, he might be bluffing, we should just call again and give him the chance to complete his suicide on the river.

The fact, there is no flushdraw on board, is the deciding factor for me, because it mean, there are basically no scare cards or action killers on the river. Its a call with intention to call on any river and also jam myself, if he check to me. If he has one of those few hands, that beat me, then he got me. There is just to much other stuff, he can show up with in a blind vs. blind situation :)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Awards
'Folds around to the SB and he makes the standard aggressive move of limping.
I complete in the bb with K/9 off. No need to bluff here or inflate the pot with a marginal hand. SB has a stack that just covers me at 55bb.'

I have no idea what this means. If the small blind limps in, as the BB, you don't have to 'complete'. You either check and see a flop, or raise the limping SB.

As far as I'm aware complete is a term used in place of - I check my option - I don't raise.

If I'm wrong about this sidetracked - I'm open to be taught/corrected. :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Awards
As far as I'm aware complete is a term used in place of - I check my option - I don't raise.

Completed is a term used for SB limping, when there are limps in front of us. In BB its called taking a free flop or knock our option. Or we could simply used the term "check", since this is technically, what we do.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Awards

Completing is a term used for SB limping, especially when there are limps in front of us. In BB its called taking a free flop or knocking our option. Or we could simply use the term "check", since this is technically, what we do.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Awards
Hi Animator.

Fund answered before I got to this, but yeah, 'completing' is used when the SB 'completes' the partial big blind that she already has in the pot.

If you then check as the BB, the term used is often, but not always, 'the BB checks his option'.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Awards
Thanks for correcting my poker grammer fellas. ;)

Now on to the hand - I felt pretty certain villain had a 9 here also - or he was just completely shoveling a big pile here and punting off with a 4.

Either way I wanted to get it all in here on the turn since I was absolute in my conviction that I had the best hand.

I jammed - opponent calls and turns over 8/9.

And the river kicks me in the teeth - 8 of whatever suit. :eek::eek:

I saw RED so it might have been 8 of hearts LOLOLOL

F

fundiver199

Legend
Awards
I jammed - opponent calls and turns over 8/9.

And the river kicks me in the teeth - 8 of whatever suit. :eek::eek:

I saw RED so it might have been 8 of hearts LOLOLOL

Well that obviously happen from time to time. But as long as we good it in good.... You know the drill.... ;)