$2.20 NLHE MTT: Final Table Facing shove with A8s from SB as big stack.

T

tohos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
20k/40k blinds with 5k ante

jananarama4 (BB): t509712 M = 5.10
La Colon (UTG): t874279 M = 8.74
A_JIGSAW_K (UTG+1): t374727 M = 3.75
Mega_Team91 (MP1): t3143168 M = 31.43
minipeps (MP2): t2270162 M = 22.70
No_U_Didn (CO): t575374 M = 5.75
anistunisien (BTN): t588507 M = 5.89
Hero (SB): t5290071 M = 52.90

Pre Flop: (t100000) Hero is SB with A
diamond.png
diamond.png

4 folds, No_U_Didn raises to t570374 all in, 1 fold, Hero raises to t1100748, 1 fold

I think its very close between a call and a fold. If I had A9 or AT here I feel its a much easier call. However A8 I feel is like at the bottom of my AX range for calling in this situation when the table has been letting me do as I want, this guy shoving represents fairly strong hand for a few reasons.

He's 2 seats to my right so he's not really taking the burnt of my aggression and its better for him to just let me knock out or chip down those on my left.
He hasn't been trying to steal too often since I was playing like quite the maniac and putting the pressure on and seen shoving pretty wide(Q9 shove got called a few hands back).

However, I had a big stack and losing this pot wouldn't do much damage to me. On the other hand, you don't want to double up this guy and give him a stack that can play aggressive when I'm in the blinds.

I was wondering what do you guys think of the call. In this situation I was so deep so it didn't really matter much but what if I had like 80bb 70bb 60bb stack(assume still chip leader playing same way)? Is it still a close fold/call? Or easy fold?

z28_RoadRage

z28_RoadRage

Road Warrior
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me it's any easy call with any Ace... He knows the Btn is going to fold unless he has a monster hand and he's hoping you would call with ATC (as chip leader) and BB would fold as he did.

I would say he showed two Broadway cards and sucked out.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Snap call and be very happy about it.

You're WAY ahead of his shoving range given his position and stack size + you're deep enough to the point where it doesn't effect you position at the table and you will be still the commanding chip leader.

Jostone6

Jostone6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In your situation, easy call. I believe the range villan shove is 50%.
But about your question in situation of 60BB, i believe its same.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy easy call... He can easily have JQ here... J10. My guess is also Broadway's that sucked out... It could also be a worse ace.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should be calling with a lot worse

D

donkmeaak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
easy call he has under 6 M i think he is shoving worse and any pair to J10 +

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
To me it's any easy call with any Ace... He knows the Btn is going to fold unless he has a monster hand and he's hoping you would call with ATC (as chip leader) and BB would fold as he did.
Not sure why we'd assume that Btn would be thinking that HERO is calling with ATC? Villain is shoving 14.5bb's & HERO is only getting 1.2 to 1

I just don't see how anyone could think HERO would ever be considering calling with ATC in that spot.

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure why we'd assume that Btn would be thinking that HERO is calling with ATC? Villain is shoving 14.5bb's & HERO is only getting 1.2 to 1

I just don't see how anyone could think HERO would ever be considering calling with ATC in that spot.

Correct - people need to realize the HH was m value, not BBs.

A8s is about the bottom of my call range here with these stack sizes and positions. I would say A8s+, 77+, KQs ... maybe a tweak or two but that is what I'm essentially calling off here.

hobonc

hobonc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me, I'd risk 10% of my stack in a guaranteed HU (possible)CF and with a good chance of being ahead going in. It's FT, pay jumps for a KO are high, you know it's all you'll invest, plus it doesn't cripple you relative to the other stacks. The worst is you drop back to average chips but best scenario you pad your lead and eliminate an opponent.

Last edited:

1bollywood1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
regarding your M and vilain M , easy call with AXs.

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
since your using M then maybe a reminder of the rules of M management

you shove lighter with M of 10 or less because you dont have a stack to play with, also your looking for a double up
from the SB it becomes profitable to shove any 2, as the BB can only call if he has a hand

the dilemma here is "you never shove into a monster stack as he can afford to risk more"
so you could very well be behind in the spot
but even if your behind you still have near enough the right odds to call, its not like this guy can damage you

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
unless villian is uber nit, think its a snap call

DevilMe03

DevilMe03

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think its a call here. He has about 14 BB and still plenty of play is left. I dont think he will be shoving light at this point of play and even if he is i dont think its your job to eliminate people calling with weak hands like A8.