$2.20 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked Rebuy: Facing Max Aggression on River with Bottom Boat

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$2.20 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked Rebuy: Facing Max Aggression on River with Bottom Boat

2.20 buyin 2000gtd on ACR. This is one of the 5 hour late reg events on ACR that runs daily at the micros.

This tourney is pretty unique with respect to structure. Players start the tournament with 200bb at the start of the event. A reasonable player can late reg. This event within the first 2-3 hours of play.
At the end of the first hour we will be somewhere around 150bb.
At the end of the 2nd hour we will have somewhere around 75bb.
At the end of hour 3 - a player is looking at 35bb starting stack - and the average stack is probably between 70-85bb.

Anyone regging this event beyond hour 3 is pretty much gambling - or trying to play a short stack game, which is not a bad strategy if you are confident in your ability to do that.

The last reason this event is quite unique is because when nearing the very end of late registration - this event will OFTEN be very near ITM.

About 35% of the time this event will have ONLY 10-20 left to bust until hitting ITM when late reg closes, so those max late reg folk can at least min cash in this one by registering just before late registration closes with 4.5bb, if they can fold for about one orbit - and avoid the blinds.

Anyway - that has nothing to do with my hand - I just wanted to point that out for anyone looking to play this event as a shorty, nearing the end of late registration.

This hand takes place during the 3rd hour of play.
I had registered between hour 2-3 of play. My starting stack was 55bb and I had identified a perpetual limper who's range was - weak to say it kindly, any 2 suited cards from any position, all the way down to 8/2 s from UTG+1, and ANY ace from any position.
It took about one full orbit for me to identify this player and get a hand that I knew was crushing his limping range.
He limped from CO - I jammed my 50bb with A/Q suited, everyone else folded and he happily calls my shove with his 85bb stack with A/7 off, and I miraculously held.
Yay!

Now on to the hand in question.

I'm roughly in the top 15-20 in chips now and there is only one player on this table that has me covered.

Unknown recreational player opens UTG 2.2bb. (65bb)
Table chip leader (unknown player) calls in LJ 2.2bb. (115bb)
I call on the button with pocket 44s (109bb)
BB also calls 2.2bb (41bb)

Pot preflop 10.8bb.

Flop comes KJ4 - rainbow.

UTG rec min-cbets 1bb.
LJ calls the min-cbet
I raise to 5.5bb.
BB folds, UTG folds LJ calls.

Pot pre turn. 22.8bb.

Turn is kind of ugly - it's the T of hearts, and there are now 2 hearts on the board.

LJ villain donk leads slightly over half pot. 13.5bb.
I'm concerned here because A/Q has come in - and I could also see this player having TTs,
Do we think A/Q and TTs "should" be a 3bet in his position? I don't think so when facing a UTG opener, so he can definitely have those hands.
K/J, K/T J/T are also considerable hands.

I reluctantly make the call.

Pot heading into the river is 49.8bb
My remaining stack is 90bb.

River is pretty gross - it's the Jack of hearts.

Final board is :kh4::jd4::4c4::10h4::jh4:

We have bottom boat, and a very wet board.
Reasonable hands we are losing to that villain might have K/J, TT, J/T.
Hands we are beating - a lot of flushes, and a couple straights - that would be very hesitant to bet this river.

Villain overbet jams the river.
A/Q hearts is the nuts. K/J is the reasonable 2nd nuts. J/T is the 3rd nuts, TT is the 4th nuts.
I'm discounting KKs and JJs because villain did not 3bet preflop.

Bluffs he could have A/Q of - not hearts, any 2 hearts, and K/T.

Would this unknown villain overbet jam bluff the river here?

Call or Fold ?

garibe

garibe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Quite difficult situation. Without information on the villain I assume NO hero call here.

The only thing I can mention is:

"
I'm concerned here because A/Q has come in - and I could also see this player having TTs,
Do we think A/Q and TTs "should" be a 3bet in his position? I don't think so when facing a UTG opener, so he can definitely have those hands.
"

Donk leads are usually a sign of "nuts" when it happens. Specially with that size. I cant say for sure but the "alert" would start there.

Pre-Flop: AQs and all the premium xTsuited are a call pre-flop if this guy knows what hes doing. So his range definitely has it (according to Odin.io). I don't have any other pre-flop solver to check. But they are not a 3-bet to UTG. They all just call.

The board is pretty much against you. If at least more info on the player the hero call could happen. But that is a huge pot with most of the odds going against you.

I fold.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Calling behind to setmine is totally fine here, since we are deep and have position.

Flop
Obviously we need to raise that min-bet, and I think, we can go a bit larger than this. But its a nitpick.

Turn
Dont think any other option makes sense here than call. Even if we are now behind to a straight, we have 10 outs to fill up, and we beat everything else. So we definitely cant fold, but raising would be an overplay.

River
This was actually a good river card for you, since you now beat a straight, and there is also a flush or trips, which you could potentially get paid by. This is more important than the fact, KJ and JT now made a bigger boat, because there are only 6 possible combos of each of those hands, while there are 16 combos of AQ and 16 combos of Q9.

The action is pretty gross though because by going for this massive sizing he is saying, that he also has a very strong hand, or he is bluffing. And its kind of difficult to come up with bluffs, when all the draws either got there or paired up. So answering your question, could he take this line as a bluff, I would have to say probably not, or at least its pretty unlikely.

You lose to AQ of hearts, Q9 of hearts, KJ, JT and TT, which is a total of 17 combos, and its pretty realistic, that all those combos might be played like this. So to justify calling an overbet, we need to find an almost similar number of combos, that he might overplay. It is a very low buyin, and sometimes people do weird things. But overall I lean towards a fold here.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Quite difficult situation. Without information on the villain I assume NO hero call here.

The only thing I can mention is:

"
"

Donk leads are usually a sign of "nuts" when it happens. Specially with that size. I cant say for sure but the "alert" would start there.

Pre-Flop: AQs and all the premium xTsuited are a call pre-flop if this guy knows what hes doing. So his range definitely has it (according to Odin.io). I don't have any other pre-flop solver to check. But they are not a 3-bet to UTG. They all just call.

The board is pretty much against you. If at least more info on the player the hero call could happen. But that is a huge pot with most of the odds going against you.

I fold.

Interesting perspective on donk lead Garibe. I agree, but it certainly depend on the villain yeah?
Donk leads from some = a weak vulnerable hand, like 2 pair. From a lot of level 1 players donk leads signify to a high probability top pair with a junk kicker, and from other - more thinking players it could be a wide range including da nuts. :)

I really felt this opponent was not a fish during the hand, I had a strong feeling the turn screwed me, regardless of the river - I felt pretty certain he was not chasing that flush and I was beat. See below for the reveal.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Calling behind to setmine is totally fine here, since we are deep and have position.

Flop
Obviously we need to raise that min-bet, and I think, we can go a bit larger than this. But its a nitpick.

Turn
Dont think any other option makes sense here than call. Even if we are now behind to a straight, we have 10 outs to fill up, and we beat everything else. So we definitely cant fold, but raising would be an overplay.

River
This was actually a good river card for you, since you now beat a straight, and there is also a flush or trips, which you could potentially get paid by. This is more important than the fact, KJ and JT now made a bigger boat, because there are only 6 possible combos of each of those hands, while there are 16 combos of AQ and 16 combos of Q9.

The action is pretty gross though because by going for this massive sizing he is saying, that he also has a very strong hand, or he is bluffing. And its kind of difficult to come up with bluffs, when all the draws either got there or paired up. So answering your question, could he take this line as a bluff, I would have to say probably not, or at least its pretty unlikely.

You lose to AQ of hearts, Q9 of hearts, KJ, JT and TT, which is a total of 17 combos, and its pretty realistic, that all those combos might be played like this. So to justify calling an overbet, we need to find an almost similar number of combos, that he might overplay. It is a very low buyin, and sometimes people do weird things. But overall I lean towards a fold here.

During preflop I thought of your (and Dara Okerney) rule of thumb regarding set mining. :)

I was a little upset with myself on the raise on the flop. I also felt like I needed to go bigger. Not tilted - upset, just really felt the sizing was off. This might be due to my bet sizing "issues" I've been wrestling over lately, but looking back now - I think the sizing was pretty good - when looking at how the turn changed the hand completely.

Great feedback on the river. I also felt like this guy was telling me he had one of those top 3 hands I had listed. The only logical bluff I think he may have done this was the nut flush, but not A/Q, but I really felt like that was even too much of a stretch with that board, and his bet sizing. To me the two real hands that made sense were A/Q hearts, and pocket TTs.

It took me a healthy amount of time but I finally ended up folding and showing my 44s and villain reciprocated by showing his pocket TTs.
And thanks to ACR for incorporating this very useful information gathering feature that mimics live play.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only logical bluff I think he may have done this was the nut flush

The nut flush would not be a bluff though, since nobody in their right mind would overbet jam the nut flush trying to get specifically bottom boat to fold. If he jammed the nut flush, it would be to get called by worse, which would obviously not have worked, since you folded 44, so it would have been an overplay by him. Overplays do happen like in this hand, but since he showed you TT, you obviously made a great fold :)