$2.20 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked Turbo: Did I play this correct?

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Playing at Bovada. 51 players left, 45 places pay. Ante 120, blinds 600/1200 I have 6280 chips. Short stacked at the table. Sitting at 42nd place in tourney.

UTG I get 7,7 I shove All In. I looked at how many players left in tourney and how many more to $. I could have held off for another round to maybe get into the money UTG +1 called with 9,9 and I'm out in 51st place.

I have made this move before in similar situations. Sometimes it has good results and sometimes not. Just wondering if this is a move I make which costs me? Should I have waited til after the blinds went by and in later position?
Wish I could post an actual HH from Bovada.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, firstly...playing MTT's and focusing on min cashing is NOT what you should be doing.

You pick up 77 UTG; 9 handed; effectively 5blinds left and ready to pay the blinds in the next couple of hands. There is like nearly 3k in the middle already!

You should be shoving much; MUCH wider in this spot.

The shove is totally standard and you shoulden't worry about it and certainly shouldn't be looking at how many players are left before min cashing.

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Ok, firstly...playing MTT's and focusing on min cashing is NOT what you should be doing.

You pick up 77 UTG; 9 handed; effectively 5blinds left and ready to pay the blinds in the next couple of hands. There is like nearly 3k in the middle already!

The shove is totally standard and you shoulden't worry about it and certainly shouldn't be looking at how many players are left before min cashing.

So basically, I should not be focusing on the cards but rather my chipstack? I waited too long before making a move. I get it.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

/thread

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So basically, I should not be focusing on the cards but rather my chipstack? I waited too long before making a move. I get it.
Yep. MTTs are inherently top heavy so much better to take a chance a little sooner to accumulate chips instead of just surviving to make a mini cash.
In this exact spot though you should be jamming super wide, so wide in fact that 77 is in the top half of your range.
Any pair, any ace, and broadways...

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea what these guys said. Do not start questioning a hand like this and think about folding it in the future just because you ran into an overpair.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This kind of makes me wonder how many other shoving opportunities you might have passed up between 15 and 5 BB (though at this stage I hope you are using M). Take a peek and ask about those hands as well.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This kind of makes me wonder how many other shoving opportunities you might have passed up between 15 and 5 BB (though at this stage I hope you are using M). Take a peek and ask about those hands as well.

i dont use m, i find bb much easier

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This ^

Have a look at some shoving charts ASAP