$2.20 NLHE MTT Bounty: Early stages COvBTN - 3bet pot

A

andrestc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early stages of a $2.20 PKO. Unknown villan.

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/624LAwgax

[P] I think villans range here composed of high aces, suited aces and maybe 88/99+. Playing this deep I don't think it makes sense to start blowing up the pot with our hand, we are not comfortable get it in. So I opted to call the 3bet and play postflop OOP. Should we look into 4betting here since OOP we focus on equity hands (instead of blockers)? We might be able to get them off some of their hands with overcards. On the other hand, we are mostly 4betting our monsters at these stack depths, so calling might be the best option indeed.
[F] I think this is a flop where villan should take lots of stabs, so I opted to check. Leading here with a block bet might be a better option to protect our equity, but I dont think we can get much to fold. Is this a hand that we want to use as a X/R for protection? I'm not good at finding those spots yet (outside of BB).
[T] I dont think the 5 changes much here, so I decided to check once more. Again, maybe a lead here makes sense to protect our hand agaisnt overcards.
[R] I dont think we can get better hands to fold or worse hands to call, so I decided to go for showdown.

I don't think I like my passive line here, thoughts?

Ecolando

Ecolando

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
[P] I like the call here. Like you said, with the blinds and stack depths I would hesitate to commit more chips to the pot without a monster AA KK or AK, and even with AK I would probably still call.
[F] He should have a lot of Ks in his range, so I like the check call here. He should be able to reasonably make this bet with lots of Ax and lower pocket pairs, but also some higher pocket pairs.
[T] I agree not much has changed. His check makes me think he is backing off because it's likely you raised with a K as well and he could be totally beat
[R] Agree with your play here as well.

What did the villan have? or you don't know? you won the hand?

Chone2929

Chone2929

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played the hand fine that early and deep. His what 4.2bb 3bet over you is really large but it's early in a tourney and people are more carefree with those chips. I woulda put him on the same range you had him on and just been fine seeing a flop. Flop isn't our fav for you but not terrible. I woulda check called anything that wasn't pot size or over. On the turn is where I woulda differed. I woulda put out like 60% pot in my experiences he woulda either folded to that bet or jammed on you and you coulda got away from it if that happened. But he checked back the turn so he wasn't happy with his hand either. River was trash for you check for sure at that point.

Did he end up having trash and not showing down?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everything here seems fine to me. All the way through your hand is to strong to fold to that amount of aggression, which you faced, but at no point is it strong enough to bet or raise except for the first preflop open raise. Its all very standard frankly, and if you ended up losing to JJ, it just is, what it is. You lost the minimum, so just move on to the next hand and try to make a comeback later in the tournament. You are far from out of a tournament, just because you lost 20% of your chips in a 3-bet pot.

A

andrestc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback. Villan showed AQ for the rivered pair.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything here seems fine to me. All the way through your hand is to strong to fold to that amount of aggression, which you faced, but at no point is it strong enough to bet or raise except for the first preflop open raise. Its all very standard frankly, and if you ended up losing to JJ, it just is, what it is. You lost the minimum, so just move on to the next hand and try to make a comeback later in the tournament. You are far from out of a tournament, just because you lost 20% of your chips in a 3-bet pot.

Agreed to the fullest. Not much I can add here - wouldve played this hand the same way myself.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree in the large part with guys. I prefer bigger raise pre flop on very deep stack, on blind 15/30 I prefer at least raise 3x. I think that we call his 3bet pre flop, because we are on deep stack. The flop - the flop isn't good for pocket, but I think that we shouldn't escape and fold TT, so I think that we can call one time his cbet. On the turn opponent play check and it seems for me that he afraids of something, maybe he has higher pair like JJ or something like Aqo, so he decided play check. On the river I also play check and I hope that opponent will give up his hand. GL :)