$2.20 NLHE MTT: 4bet jamming range on 23bb stack?

C

candide78

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

It's ITM of a 2.20 mtt, 160/4000 runners left. A small pay jump at 150.
9 handed.
Folds to...
CO (30bb) opens 2.2bb,
Btn folds,
sb (43bb) 3bets 6bb,
bb (23bb)

What is your 4 bet jamming range from the bb here?
And your calling range?
(No reads).

Thanks.

Last edited:
A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in or fold for me. Getting it in with 88+, AQo+, AJs+, possibly some suited broadways.

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me this would be TT+, AKs, AKo.
Jump coming in soon and it’s coming over a 3bet. I’d prefer to be tighter in this situation due to having near 25BB.
If you were under 20 then id be a little bit wider with no reads.

Calling would be 88+, AJs+, AQo+ with plan to check fold a miss or 2nd pair and under

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against most players this is a spot to just fold and get out of the way, unless we have a really premium hand like AK or a big pair. Especially at this stage of a tournaments its often not so much about, which cards we have. Its more about finding spots, where we can pick up a small pot uncontested to gradually increase our stack.

I will pretty much never cold call a 3-bet and certainly not with this stack size. That would have to be a very special situation, where I want to get tricky with exactly aces, because I think, I can induce more mistakes from either opponent that way. Other than that this is a spot, where I will always fold or jam.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all,

It's ITM of a 2.20 mtt, 160/4000 runners left. A small pay jump at 150.
9 handed.
Folds to...
CO (30bb) opens 2.2bb,
Btn folds,
sb (43bb) 3bets 6bb,
bb (23bb)

What is your 4 bet jamming range from the bb here?
And your calling range?
(No reads).

Thanks.

Thank U 4 posting

You state no reads but you have a read on the SB

The SB in the worst position, with a player (you) having a shove size stack yet to act.
That is a read. That should define SB range. It was the CO that raised so the CO also had 1 player in position to them so SB should have that as a read which should further define the SB range.
Also bet sizing, the SB raise is not large enough to get mostly folds from CO, so again SB should be defining their range.

Hope this helps:wavey:

C

candide78

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.
Judging from your responses I think my actual holding was probably borderline and an argument can be made for all actions.

I had AQs.

Folding

The sb 3bets oop knowing not only that the cut off has yet to respond, but also that I in the bb also have to act with a re-jamming stack. This suggests a very strong range of 10+ AK, maybe AQ. With my specific hand I am at best flipping. I could fold and play a lower variance style and still have time to wait for a better spot.

Call

I can call, with AQs I have TPTK, Nut straight, nut flush potential. If I whiff the flop I can check/fold and strategically wise, in terms of stack size, still be able to generate fold equity against the avg stack of around 35bb. My issue is if the CO jams behind us we're in a tough spot.

Jam

With 23bb I generally have a lot of fold equity against most ranges, if sb is 3betting a little lighter than previously mentioned, say 88+, A10+ we are probably doing fine. The CO range should be quite wide as he should be trying to steal a fair amount. Also, with AQ we block some combos of strong hands like AA, QQ, AK, AQ etc.

Without reads I suppose it comes down to whether you want a higher or lower variance style on the day.

Is my logic sound here?

Thank you for your thoughts.
John.

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank U 4 posting

The SB in the worst position, with a player (you) having a shove size stack yet to act.
That is a read. That should define SB range. It was the CO that raised so the CO also had 1 player in position to them so SB should have that as a read which should further define the SB range.
Also bet sizing, the SB raise is not large enough to get mostly folds from CO, so again SB should be defining their range.

I like this analysis, and I think it implies a strong sub range.

Overall I prefer to avoid this situation because you still have a stack to be patient with and just SB left before a whole circuit.

Obviously I'd jam aces, and AK. Kk and qq probably too but not happily!

C

candide78

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank U 4 posting

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. You are quite right. I intuitively knew this but honestly hadn't thought about it in any rational sense until off felt so to speak. Something to bare in mind when trying to range opponents.

Regards,
John.