$2.2 NLHE MTT: Is it my mistake?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Post-flop you could bet a bit less at the flop but for the most part it's a cooler. Your pair and nut flush draw are very strong and it's fine to get it in + unlucky he had top set!

With that said, here's one rule of thumb I'd suggest:

When you have under a 20bb stack; someone has raised before you; and you're any position besides the big blind -- Shove or Fold Pre-flop. There's too much in the middle to call and take a flop much. So normally I would fold the A5s pre-flop, but if the raiser has been entering a lot of pots then you could shove instead.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, hero has almost 20bb in stack, so on this stack from late position like HJ, CO and dealer I call pre flop suited connector hand when somebody raise pre flop. Besides sometimes I fold suited connector hand when after me are some short stack players, because short stack players can play all in and then we have to fold suited connectors hand. In this situation players behind hero aren't short stack so I think it is good situation to play suited connectors hand. On the flop I prefer smaller bet, not too commited like here, bet for about 50% of the pot. If opponent calls the flop and he don't raise the flop, we have later hard decision, because we don't know where we are. I think that it is cooler situation and I think that isn't mistake on about 20bb to play the bet on the turn. On this stack we probably can't escape in this situation. GL :)

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks, Collin!

If I saw A5 nonsuited, I would probably fold it, but Ax suited on my mind have nice potential for nonagressive preflop. Cause I call to see flop cheaply.

Post-flop you could bet a bit less at the flop but for the most part it's a cooler. Your pair and nut flush draw are very strong and it's fine to get it in + unlucky he had top set!

With that said, here's one rule of thumb I'd suggest:

When you have under a 20bb stack; someone has raised before you; and you're any position besides the big blind -- Shove or Fold Pre-flop. There's too much in the middle to call and take a flop much. So normally I would fold the A5s pre-flop, but if the raiser has been entering a lot of pots then you could shove instead.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't understand the flop bet. You're committing, so what's the point of leaving a small part of your stack behind? I think I would go for 1/3 or push.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would be folding pre flop here. I think you are going against way too much that has you dominated or that is a pocket pair where you are sitting around 30%. As played on the flop I actually like a check here with the intention to check raise jam. What I like about the play is that if villain does check behind its nothing that we are worried about. We would then get to see a turn card for free without much that is bothering us except a K, Q, or J. If villain goes the other route and bets than we can jam on him which looks stronger than leading out and even if we are called (assuming it isnt the set he actually as) we are not in bad shape at all. This line would also get more value if villain has a weaker hand since they would have folded to our actual pot sized flop bet but if we checked to them they might be enticed to try to take it down here and then fold to our jam and we profit a bet.

Pufik

Pufik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
flop bet is wrong. IMO maybe i rather go fold preflop and wait for better hand.
But flop just check-call. but your enemy with TT is pretty passiv, he should 3bet this hand preflop in this situation.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
A5s is the perfect 3-bet bluffing hand, so as others have said, if I was going to play this, I would just jam preflop. It is a little bit borderline though with so many blinds and 4 players left to act behind. So if the Villain is tight or dont fold to 3-bets, I might just fold this. I dont like calling, because you are putting in 10% of your stack basically just hoping, that nobody behind will 3-bet, AND that you will smash the board.

Flop
I lean towards checking here, because you have some showdown value with bottom pair. Also with a flushdraw there is less value in folding out random overcards, since some of the outs, that might give them a pair will also give you a flush. As someone else have said, a check-jam is a pretty sexy option here, and if you are going to bet, then half pot is enough. When you pot it, you are essentially telling everyone, you are never going to fold, which takes away their ability to bluff.

Turn
As played you have kind of painted yourself into a corner, since so much of your stack is committed already, that you can not really fold, even though you are usually behind.

Results
Him showing up with top set is pretty much the worst case scenario, and you brick. Given his holding there was no way to avoid going broke, once you decided to call pre.

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mistake. Here a simple preflop fold. Even if the first raiser is aggressive, our hand is too weak to push 20 bb from the middle position. Calling preflop here is the worst solution. Worse than push.