He bets 1/3 pot, i called
Turn: 6
He bets again, this time 1/2 pot
Then i tought: He have a T
I re-raised to 1.7x pot and he snap called
River is an A
Then i tought: He re-raises, so he could have AT
The only 2 hands that beats me was T2 , AT and TT
I bet small on the river he shoves and i had to call (pot comited)
He had TT :/
I played it right?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its much easier to give usefull feedback, if you post the actual hand history, which you can download from most poker sites, rather than just a recreation of it. For instance its difficult to figure out, what exactly it means, that "everyone were deep", or that you "bet small on the river". With that being said preflop, flop and turn seem fine to me. The turn is obviously the gin card, because now you effectively have the nuts. Only 1 combo of TT, he can have, and nobody in their right mind are 3-betting T6 or T2.

The river card is not so great though, because now AA and AT got there, and thats a total of 9 combos, which you now lose to. Its also a scare card to JJ-KK, which was a large part of the range, you were looking to get value from. So a small bet is probably fine. However depending on stack sizes and opponent type maybe this could actually be a bet-fold. You raised him on the turn, and now he is raising you on the river in a 3-bet pot.

This is extremely strong action, and there is an argument for saying, that a competent player dont do this with anything less than a boat, and probably not even bottom boat. He is also not likely to be 3-betting 22, so unless your "small" bet was really insignificant, maybe you are basically almost always beat here. You do lose to 10 combos now, so its close to the same as folding QQ preflop. Which certainly we should be doing sometimes with deep stacks.

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it pretty well. Most likely he would have shoved the river even if you didn't 3 bet the turn, so at that point who folds a full house? That would be some sick fold. Unlucky the 6 came on turn, but what can you do. You win some, and you lose some :)

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The hands with which you could lose were AT, 66, T2 and AA, for the action I would have discarded the first 3 but AA was in his range I would have called too but there was a probability of losing, it was not an easy call but I really believe that you were unlucky, I don't think with 22 I would have called a big 3bet either. better luck next time

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As said we dont have all the info in the hand like specific stack sizes but to me when we get our 6 on the turn and we decide to raise (as we should be there) I would not be folding this hand assuming that after that raise we have less than a pot stack left behind. With that being said the Ace is not great but I am also not sure AA snaps off a raise on the turn with 2 10s on the board. I discount AA a little for that reason but of course its possible. My thinking though on this hand is that if we feel we are committed after the turn and villain could have plenty of hands we can get value from then I dont understand the small bet on the river. I would be probably getting it in (depending on what I have left behind) since 10x is calling us and if we bet smaller is there a chance 10x only just calls that small bet and doesnt raise us? It might be the case so if we think we are committed here and never folding I would be jamming it on the river for value. If they wind up having it as they did then as played the end result of calling them off is the same as jamming and getting called so might as well put it in and remove the chance however great or small that villain only calls our small river bet with 10x.

I dont think this is a hand where you are going to get a lot or any crying calls from worse hands that arent 10x. KK-JJ is not calling a small river bet. AK if they got here might be the exception but I dont think that calls the turn raise.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As said we dont have all the info in the hand like specific stack sizes but to me when we get our 6 on the turn and we decide to raise (as we should be there) I would not be folding this hand assuming that after that raise we have less than a pot stack left behind.

We really are lacking the specific stack size information here. But if the hand started with anything resembling normal MTT stacks, then a 3-bet preflop and a raise on the turn should set it up, so we can jam the river for less than pot and probably closer to half pot. And then we should just go ahead and make that jam, even though the ace was not the greatest card in the deck for us. Some players just cant fold a big pocket pair, and by jamming we at least give him a chance to make that big hero call with his KK or QQ.

So most likely the real lesson from this hand is not, that hero should have folded on the river, but that he should have used correct betsizing. At the end of the day its just a set over set cooler, and if the opponent had moved in on the turn, we would of course have snapped it off.