$2.00 NL HE STT: Did I play this too passively?

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
STT
Buy-in
VP$IP
PFR
AF
Currency
$
Villain Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 15/2/2
Villain's HUD stats are from 179 hands.
I called flop and turn to keep my opponents putting chips in and let the bettor keep betting. I led the river looking for more value.
Should I have raised earlier? I confess that I wasn't really ranging my opponent(s), I was kinda blinded by the strength of my hand.
What would you have done differently, if anything?
pokerstars, $1.72 + $0.28 - Hold'em No Limit - 25/50 (6 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 322 (6 bb)
UTG+1: 1,747 (35 bb)
MP: 1,997 (40 bb)
MP+1: 2,593 (52 bb)
CO: 1,170 (23 bb)
BU: 1,303 (26 bb)
SB: 2,185 (44 bb)
BB (Hero): 2,183 (44 bb)

Pre-Flop:
(123) Hero is BB with 2 2
1 fold, UTG+1 calls 50, 2 players fold, CO calls 50, BTN calls 50, SB calls 25, Hero checks

Flop:
(298) 2 7 7 (5 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, CO bets 100, BTN calls 100, SB folds, Hero calls 100, UTG+1 folds

Turn: (598) J (3 players)
Hero checks, CO bets 50, BU folds, Hero calls 50

River:
(698) K (2 players)
Hero bets 244, CO raises to 964 (all-in), Hero calls 720

Total pot:

Showdown:
CO shows K K (a full house, Kings full of Sevens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 82%, Flop: 17%, Turn: 9%, River: 100%)

BB (Hero) shows 2 2 (a full house, Twos full of Sevens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 18%, Flop: 83%, Turn: 91%, River: 0%)

CO wins 2,626

Tadi

Tadi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
A couple of KK would probably not have played it either way if you had played. This is how you have some chips left.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Perfect to get a free look at the flop with a small pair multiway.

Flop
I think, the best lines here are either check-call, as you did, or to lead out yourself. And in the latter case I would pick pretty much the same size, as CO used. I would not check-raise against two short stacks, because its pretty easy to get the chips in later, and they have very few ways to draw out on you.

Turn
Checking to the previous street aggressor is standard, but when he only bet 50 into a pot of 598, I would put in a raise to set it up for an easy river jam. As a side note I have no idea, what BTN can have, that was good enough to call 100 on the flop but not good enough to call another 50 on the turn. But it just goes to show, how weird people sometimes play in the micros.

River
As played I guess, its ok to donk lead now. We dont want to allow him to check behind for a cheap showdown, and Ks is definitely a scare card, unless it made him a flush. Now he raise, and this really looks like, he has a flush, so I would beat him into the pot and feel very good about the situation.

Spoiler
So he had KK and rivered you. Weird way for him to play his hand, and there is no way, we can even consider to fold a full house for 23BB effective on a board like this. Chuck it up to a cooler and move on to the next hand.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre is a flat so skipping over that.

Flop: I like check calling as you did especially with a second caller cause I am praying that they have a flush draw here and get there. I dont think either player at this point has a 7 since I would expect on a two spade board for 7x to bet larger than 1/3rd (dont even begin to ask me how the hell they played KK this way... the entire hand) and for the caller to not just call with a 7 (except 77) so I discount 7x for either of them and therefore want to keep in the hand so that they can possibly get to a hand that will pay me off. There is some risk they have 55 or something and catch a 5 but I am willing to take that risk at this point.

Turn: I check here as well although I like a lead to target flush draws. I hate check check behind as I think it will go here a lot but I still check in game hoping that villains catch up a little and I doubt any of them have JJ so I would feel I am still good here. The difference is that I check here with the intention of check raising as I dont want the busted draws on the river to just fold to me or check behind so any size bet on the turn I am raising. When villain makes this small bet it would make me think they are trying to get to see a river cheaply with still one to act so I would raise this bet to build a pot and setup a river jam if the flush card comes or at least a small but bigger bet on the river than what would have been if we just call here. I would raise here to 150-200 ish. Still never in a million years here thinking villain is on KK.

River: As played I think you can lead here as you did small or even check since villain is not calling anything unless they have the flush (or some crazy played KK right?) and then expect villain to raise or bet large if we checked and then get it in as you did. Crazy card to come on the river that not only gave them their boat but made us think they had the flush. Tough hand to lose and played very weirdly by villain. There is no way to not lose all your chips there imo based on how they played and what we most likely ranged them with.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 15/2/2
Villain's HUD stats are from 179 hands.
I called flop and turn to keep my opponents putting chips in and let the bettor keep betting. I led the river looking for more value.
Should I have raised earlier? I confess that I wasn't really ranging my opponent(s), I was kinda blinded by the strength of my hand.
What would you have done differently, if anything?
PokerStars, $1.72 + $0.28 - Hold'em No Limit - 25/50 (6 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 322 (6 bb)
UTG+1: 1,747 (35 bb)
MP: 1,997 (40 bb)
MP+1: 2,593 (52 bb)
CO: 1,170 (23 bb)
BU: 1,303 (26 bb)
SB: 2,185 (44 bb)
BB (Hero): 2,183 (44 bb)

Pre-Flop:
(123) Hero is BB with 2 2
1 fold, UTG+1 calls 50, 2 players fold, CO calls 50, BTN calls 50, SB calls 25, Hero checks

Flop:
(298) 2 7 7 (5 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, CO bets 100, BTN calls 100, SB folds, Hero calls 100, UTG+1 folds

Turn: (598) J (3 players)
Hero checks, CO bets 50, BU folds, Hero calls 50

River:
(698) K (2 players)
Hero bets 244, CO raises to 964 (all-in), Hero calls 720

Total pot:

Showdown:
CO shows K K (a full house, Kings full of Sevens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 82%, Flop: 17%, Turn: 9%, River: 100%)

BB (Hero) shows 2 2 (a full house, Twos full of Sevens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 18%, Flop: 83%, Turn: 91%, River: 0%)

CO wins 2,626
No results seen

The flop has only 1 full house -22 most often- that helps our XR get called frequency
On flop if we XR what range calls? -what range 3 bets? What folds? For what sizing?
What calls then calls on turn? For what sizing?

When we overcall on flop what is our turn plan? How often are we leading and why? On what cards?
If we check turn how often do we expect a bet? How often do we expect value on the river if it is checked thru?

Turn V bets 1 bb other V folds on you- Why did the V bet 50? What range? Will that range pay more to see the river or do we need it to hit to get more value on the river- Would we ever bluff here? If yes then V has to call sometimes- what sizing would we bluff?

When we call turn what is our river plan after that blocker bet turn sizing? What river cards are we leading on and what sizing- What does our range look like? What freq... is our V bluffing river?

:sick: River

So you want to reverse engineer this hand and ask would this V lead flop with the spade draw? Then shove the non nut flush on this board

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
That was just a sick river and cooler. The only thing i would have done diferently would have been to raise his small turn bet. I think your still going broke here but that's just poker.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for your input. One thing I took away from this hand is a lesson in not tilting. In the past my emotions would have got the better of me, I would have lost concentration and made bad choices after the hand, then tried to forget the game when I bust - chalking it off to bad luck. But I didn't and came back to win the game.
So try not to tilt everybody!

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
obviously not happy but id donk this on the flop.
as played donk on the turn
when u check n get such tiny bet id raise it.
on the river as played would check jam instead.

not sure if you can figure what im saying since you took suboptimal lines on every streeet imo. let me know if you need clarification

Hope this helps and Good Luck!