$165 NLHE MTT: Live tourney, AJ FD on flop

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Went out with this yesterday, seems pretty standard but I'd like a second look. No reads on villain.

Im SB with Ah Jh. 7 handed.

CO opens to 4500. Blinds are 600/1200.

We both have about 50k. I flat.

Flop 10h 8c 5h. I check, he bets 9k and I jam.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
see no need to jam

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fwiw, villain may have read you for a FD. People always do this on FDs.

$4500 is a big raise to call OOP with A-J suited. I like A-J suited, but in LP. Perhaps you could have waited for a better spot? With 40 + BBs, seems like a foolish gamble for all your chips...

This is only my two cents...

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3b pre for value imo, much rather call flop than jam

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
where did we flat from?

obv we don't have stats but nitty/loose etc would help..

and i'm with duggs, flat and see the turn. we want to see all 5 cards but when we shove we just get called by better (duhh) and everything that will fold check folds the turn to our float anyway.

+ he like potted flop in a tourney, alarm bells unless thats his normal sizing.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
decent villains aren't gonna pot it because of a FD, most people with common sense will know that out of his complete flatting range there an FD is a small part of it..

but its live and people will bet to 'fold out the flush draw', I just think he's really strong here + YGM went broke in this hand right?

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot was like 12k cos of antes etc. So 75% bet. Id only just been moved to the table, he opened CO, I flat from SB.

My thought was I could get him off some Tx type hands with a shove. I think c/c then jamming whenever he gives up would be best now.

Yeah he showed up with QQ, I think we're nearly 50/50 arent we? He thought for ages then called. I was ready to hit him, almost a slowroll.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tx never really folds I don't think, but playing the FD aggro isn't THAT bad, its just unnecessary especially in a tourney.

you can just rep more jamming turns + rivers that he should hate..

gg.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I went out on a FD again last night although this time I think it was better. I opened pre and saw a 4 high flop 5 way. 2 overs and a FD, rep that overpair. Naturally my shove gets 3 calls.

I'm just a spew donk whenever I get any equity.

TEG2300

TEG2300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really like the idea that seeing a turn card then shoving if he shuts down gives more to rep. I have often done that on a float and don't know if I ever really thought about why I was doing. It is one of those things that just works so I have kept doing it. :p

TEG2300

TEG2300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is the pokerstove of the hand. Which has me wondering what we are representing and at what odds?
I am not asking that in any condescending way I am just really not very well versed in the math or logic behind moves like this and would like to hear it.

bcNna.png

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is the pokerstove of the hand. Which has me wondering what we are representing and at what odds?
I am not asking that in any condescending way I am just really not very well versed in the math or logic behind moves like this and would like to hear it.

bcNna.png

I was trying to get folds from AQ+ and Tx type hands and just take the pot down there knowing I'm in good shape if I get called.

Calling was a better play though.

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was trying to get folds from AQ+ and Tx type hands and just take the pot down there knowing I'm in good shape if I get called.

Calling was a better play though.
Call the flop and whats the plan on the turn , jam any turn ?

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3b pre for value imo, much rather call flop than jam

I rather like the 3b pf but guess its a fold if he 4bets?

With the call postflop OOP what if you brick on the turn is your plan 2 checkfold?

Think I would checkraise about 20-22K.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain is not check folding turn ever, he's in position so that's impossible.

I don't like floating when OOP. I also think pokerstoving against a villain's hand (instead of his range) is a fruitless exercise.

You're not deep stacked enough to chase a draw, c/c on flop puts in 25% of your stack and you're basically praying villain backs off on the turn after you c/c then check to him again, a line that is begging for a second barrel. Any turn bet from villain commits him.

The problem with jamming turn instead of flop is your odds of catching your flush/overs are cut in two. I like the c/r AI on flop with overs + NFD and a board that's likely to have missed our villain, the only issue is you need to be folding a chunk of villain's range to make it work and the flop bet looks huge for a cbet, skewing his range towards pair or better instead of missed overs.

Basically don't beat yourself up over this one imo, nh

Last edited:
K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just a thought , how about check min raise , this looks like your saying let me have just alittle more chips , i would do this with a set and probably TP with Nut Flush draw, looking to get it in . looks super strong and any thinking villain knows we are never folding ?

Organize a Home Poker Game