natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Playing in the Bovada 100k yesterday when I came across this hand.

I was just moved to this table and had no reads on any players here. There were 215 players left, 115 places paid I was in 77 th place.

Blinds 400/800, 80 ante. I had 17504 UTG

I was dealt Ac, Qs.

I bet $2000, folded to dealer with 32975 chips who calls. Blinds fold.

Flop...Jd, Ah, 7c. I Bet 2000, dealer called.

Turn....Jd, Ah, 7c, 7h. I bet 4000, dealer raises All-in 28893

I have 9424 chips remaining and called the all-in.

Dealer has As, Kc and shows 2 pair Aces, 7's with King kicker and I am sent packing with aces, 7's Queen kicker.

This hand bugged me all day today. I wasn't sure in hindsight I played it right. Although, at the time it seemed the right call.

Any thoughts

GrandMaestro7

GrandMaestro7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sick beat! very unfortunate. I think that someone with more experience should give the advice though :)

those 7s wouldve have scared me off his all in call though

dgiharris

dgiharris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flop is bone dry and he called you on flop and then shoved you on turn.

Without any reads, this is a puke fold.

His range is primarily AT-AK, JJ.

This range has you completely crushed, out of his entire range, the only hand you beat is AT so the question you have to ask yourself here is "Is this villain going to shove on me here with AT"

other question is "what does your range look like?"

Your range to V should look like AK. So he is shoving you when it looks like you have AK. I expect V to have AK/AJ most often in this spot with the occassional poorly played JJ

It feels sinful to put so much money into the pot to fold, but this is a puke fold here.

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you cant do much about it he got you it is hard to put him on an AK hand. but still the cbet is too weak to me.
it is a strange raise on the turn, but i will end up calling anyway.

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Always go with the rule give your opponants credit until your given a reason not too.
at first attempt with AQ off I'd be putting him on A7 suited maybe AK even suited connectors on the button play well 7-9 suited etc

I would be taken into account your own stats is this guy aware of your betfold percentage, or your table image.

given its your first crossing with that player give him the benifit of the doubt, you have a big enough stack to wait for a better spot get some good information on your table.
you stack index is still 20+ BB,
sure you may be good a fair amount of the time, but me personally I know I could find a better spot later on and in the mean time the bubble will likely of burst and in the process i'd of made 10k in loose pot and blinds,

So I feel the need to take that risk isn't always going to be needed.

J

jcdagenius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your call isn't that bad but most of the time the shove means youre beat .....reads on players would help a lot.... I think aq utg is standard raise.....I would c bet that flop almost always even if I missed

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop the 1st move is a raise not a bet .

I would have raised a bit less as 2.5x preflop.

Cbet is standard imo on flop.

On such a turn I would probably go for a checkcall line(turn and river) to keep his bluffs in(if he has these) and don't see a lot of free bad river cards if he opts to check behind.

Betting turn imo accomplish only one thing here, let him fold all hands you have beat and only let him continue with hands that have you beat!

1bollywood1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
98% of the time u are behind with this kind of moove . aj, ak,a7 what else can do this kind of moove . only a donk can do it with nthing.
cb ok ,after a check on turn and a fold on the vilain shove.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
OOP checking the turn is best, your bet folds out the hands you have beat, and as happened gets you shoved on by better hands.
Try to pot control a turn top pair.
Check and call a river bet.
I would fold top pair should the bet be other than a value bet by your opponent, as the odd occasion you are being bluffed is compensated for by the many times you are beaten.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I Always go with the rule give your opponants credit until your given a reason not too.
at first attempt with AQ off I'd be putting him on A7 suited maybe AK even suited connectors on the button play well 7-9 suited etc

HERO raised from UTG with ~20bb stack. Personally I think it'd be unusual for villain to be flatting otb in this spot with the range you're giving them... but it is the bodog $100k so anything is possible (lots of bad players in that tourney).

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As mentioned above, check turn for pot control. As played, if I'm not thinking the hand through I would call ... if I stopped and gave myself 30 seconds to ponder, I fold.

H

Henreiman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As mentioned above, check turn for pot control. As played, if I'm not thinking the hand through I would call ... if I stopped and gave myself 30 seconds to ponder, I fold.

This. Realistically there are 0 bluff shoves in his range unless he's being an idiot with 10/Q/KJhh

W

WillinNewHaven

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop: I would raise to a slightly smaller amount
On the Flop: I would bet a bigger percentage of the pot, which means we are going to be in approximately the same spot.
On the Turn: If I bet and fold, I am going to be left with around ten Big Blinds. I would _want_ to fold to that action. If I bet and call, it turns out that I am gone.
On the Turn: If I check it puts a lot more bluffs into his range if he bets. So long-term it isn't bad to check. If I check/call, will he bet the river and how much is it going to cost me to see a showdown?
Tough hand

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Delete this one please! Made an error to inflate postcount jk :D

K

kevbot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flop is bone dry and he called you on flop and then shoved you on turn.

Without any reads, this is a puke fold.

His range is primarily AT-AK, JJ.

This range has you completely crushed, out of his entire range, the only hand you beat is AT so the question you have to ask yourself here is "Is this villain going to shove on me here with AT"

other question is "what does your range look like?"

Your range to V should look like AK. So he is shoving you when it looks like you have AK. I expect V to have AK/AJ most often in this spot with the occassional poorly played JJ

It feels sinful to put so much money into the pot to fold, but this is a puke fold here.
This, also check/call the turn imo and check/evaluate the river

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing in the Bovada 100k yesterday when I came across this hand.

I was just moved to this table and had no reads on any players here. There were 215 players left, 115 places paid I was in 77 th place.

Blinds 400/800, 80 ante. I had 17504 UTG

I was dealt Ac, Qs.

I bet $2000, folded to dealer with 32975 chips who calls. Blinds fold.

Flop...Jd, Ah, 7c. I Bet 2000, dealer called.

Turn....Jd, Ah, 7c, 7h. I bet 4000, dealer raises All-in 28893

I have 9424 chips remaining and called the all-in.

Dealer has As, Kc and shows 2 pair Aces, 7's with King kicker and I am sent packing with aces, 7's Queen kicker.

This hand bugged me all day today. I wasn't sure in hindsight I played it right. Although, at the time it seemed the right call.

Any thoughts

I think it's ok. You were committed on the turn (about 11BB left, you likely to lose 1.5BB in the next 2 hands...), you simply couldnt fold it against an unknown player IMO.

N

Nylan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah just dont play A Q if you don't know anything about your oponents

NvrBlufn

NvrBlufn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
yeah just dont play A Q if you don't know anything about your oponents

Ooooh, I'm not sure how everyone is going to feel about that one ^^^ haha

It probably depends on a lot, especially your position, I do think in early position you can fold AQo.

But I will say this... TODAY I bet 4Bb from middle position in a 9 player triple up.

The Sb shoved all in Pre-flop. I folded showing AKo. He also showed AKo.

It takes a lot of discipline to carry through the field in a large MTT. I wrote down in my poker notes when I was just getting serious about playing: "You will never make it to the final three if you can't make really TOUGH folds." Very wise words to myself and it has helped me improve my game immensely. I do not regret this fold (and we both cashed in the tourney).

Sometimes I make bad folds sure, but I don't let that get to me either. Most of the time I am able to make a good laydown and even if they do not show, I can trust my logic and instincts.