$16.50 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Is this the right play!

Kid_M

Kid_M

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With the lack of info from not having been at the table for very long I believe this to be the correct play but want others thoughts? tyia

888Poker, $15 + $1.50 - Hold'em No Limit - 400/800 (100 ante) - 9 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG (Hero): 60,551 (76 bb)
UTG+1: 34,504 (43 bb)
MP: 60,929 (76 bb)
MP+1: 35,904 (45 bb)
LP: 58,747 (73 bb)
CO: 72,925 (91 bb)
BU: 42,797 (53 bb)
SB: 55,524 (69 bb)
BB: 88,219 (110 bb)

Pre-Flop: (2,100) Hero is UTG with J J
Hero calls 800, 4 players fold, CO raises to 2,400, 1 fold, SB 3-bets to 9,260, 1 fold, UTG (Hero) folds, 1 fold

Total pot: 7,300
SB wins 7,300

Kid_M

Kid_M

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After consideration...

I think my pre-flop play was wrong I should have made it big UTG, so i could gauge the other players better and also to show a lot more strength!

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As you put in your second post, you cant limp here pre. I would much prefer a raise between 2-2.5BB. You can go larger since everyone is fairly deep but I dont think 3x raise does anything here a 2.25x raise does not.

As played, I go through the replayer one action at a time so I always think to myself what I would do before I see what your action was and I was saying fold to myself. I hate folding something as good as jacks here but I agree with your fold here. To me we are way too deep to be piling in JJ here with 75BB or so. I dont like 3 betting to another size unless we go really small and then fold to a 5 bet (I dont like this move either but I could see it having some merit). The problem with this move though is the same problem we will have when we call and that is that when overcards come, are we committing to our hand or are we folding every time they come? If we are folding every time they hit the flop then we should just fold outright. We are not getting the odds to set mine and since we would be putting in about another 11BB to try to get villains effective stack of 70 or so. That is assuming second villain does not call. I just dont like it here and I think it better to fold. When we misplay a hand like this with our first action sometimes it is best to just walk away.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At a full ring table, being as deep as you are, I actually like an open raise of 3 X UTG at that stage of the tournament.

But, as you said later, open limping is not a good way to start the hand.

deyvsonflp

deyvsonflp

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would play 2.5x pre flop call 3bet and evaluate the flop and turn. With possible fold flop.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a really poorly played hand. Limping is terrible, and it puts you in a very awkward spot, when this action happen behind you. I never play like this, so I dont have a default "what to do". It also dont matter, because just dont limp. No point in analysing a spot, you should never have created in the first place. But I guess, that if somehow I misclicked and accidentally limped, then I am calling that 3-bet with JJ. You have the 4. best starting hand in NLH, and your hand look very weak, so you are definitely way ahead of the 3-betting range, and you also have position. So why are you folding? It almost looks like, you are just trying to avoid playing a big pot at any cost.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So now I understand what pepole limp and fold on UTG!Pretty funny hand but in general it s not a tragedy, you still can learn preflop open ranges from free sources on the internet , invest time in yourself and you ll feel how you improved your game!GL man

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think my pre-flop play was wrong I should have made it big UTG, so i could gauge the other players better and also to show a lot more strength!

Thank U 4 Posting

I think it may be of benefit for you to take the time to clarify your ranges in each position on the table with respect to stack depths.

It is very helpful to know before we see our hand what we will do with our range.

AA-99 UTG is a standard open raise for most players at 80ish bb stacks. Therefore most of us think raise when we see these hands not call.

It may be of benefit to you to ask yourself why, if most players are raising that range in that spot, am I thinking I can call?

It may reveal to you that you are being to passive on the table. Aggression is good in poker.

You can then continue to define what opening ranges you will raise in every position thereby creating a decision tree prior to being in game.

Then you can focus on the next step, what cards do you put in a fold range to 3 bet- what becomes a flat range -what becomes a 4 bet range.

Hope this helps
:):)

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Controversial situation! Fold good here and 4 bet good look too.

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea you set the hand up wrong. The limp looks weak so you have no clue the strength of the raiser and thats exactly what the SB said too. ahh he's raising a weak opener (limper you).

and now thats puts you in a bad situation cause JJ could be the best here but now you fold. if youre feeling go with a 4bet/fold line .. make it 30 or 32bb, though Id feel sick having to fold JJ to 5bet

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

I recommend at least a 2 bb open with pocket JJ. If the tourney is still in late reg I recommend a call. If you are deep ITM and the player has been playing tight I'd fold.