Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Currency
$
This is the second level of the tournament. CO stats after only 14 hands are: VPIP 21 PFR 14

Since is the start of the tournament I decide to open raise with 22 and if I get 3-bet I fold pre and move on. On the flop I decided to c-bet after he checked, but after he minraise I still think that my hand is still good so I decided to call his raise. Now on the turn he bets almost pot...what would you do guys here?

GGPoker, Hold'em No Limit - 30/60 (8 ante) - 8 players

UTG: 9,885 (165 bb)
UTG+1: 9,188 (153 bb)
MP: 11,339 (189 bb)
MP+1 (Hero): 9,687 (161 bb)
CO: 11,327 (189 bb)
BU: 10,016 (167 bb)
SB: 10,853 (181 bb)
BB: 9,040 (151 bb)

Pre-Flop: (154) Hero is MP+1 with 2 2
3 players fold, Hero raises to 150, 2 players fold, SB calls 120, 1 fold

Flop: (424) T T 4 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets 217, SB raises to 554, Hero calls 337

Turn:
(1,532) T (2 players)
SB bets 1,449, MP+1 (Hero) ?

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As noone opened, in my eyes MP+1 is the bottom of the spots to open the exact 22 this deep, so it's a great open.

On the flop SB did what supposed to do, checks. Both of your range is really unpredictable. Since you not hit the set, would be an aproppriate time to check back, and run this one on a low-prize, and occassionally you can bluff catch as well, or having a free street to hit now a Full House.

Your bet however had sizing problems. I would never go 50%+ on a dry board-texture like this, cause what hands you bet this strong also what hands you wanna get a call from out of position, when there's not so much thing to hit? So it's actually somewhere 25-35% if you bet on flop.

The other one was which could be working on is when you actually did an oversized bet, and still getting a check-3bet it maybe seems 'just' a small prize to compete, but it's actually uncallable, cause your opponent now taking the wheel to not only building the pot drastically, but being able to making opens on Turn and River as well, at least prepared himself / herself to do, so its not only 1 move only, it's actually very often 3 in 1 move, but at least 2 in 1!

So seing this action in a whole, you stated in your original post that if any 3-bet is going to happen, you will fold pocket 2's. But you actually forced yourself to put 9bbs more after a flop where you had bottom dealt pair. It's a great hand to see, how flexible we could be once if we not mined our set successfully with our small dealt pairs, and how easily should we get away from them even on a board like this. Also on a dry board how uncomfortable a 3-bet can be, when we are oversizing our hand, which could only be good once we run it cheap and giving more and more streets to get there, but only on a low prize.

I think if you work these smaller problems out and being more catious about how you wanna arrive as a bluffcatching hand if you can, it's gonna be all right. I also tried to highlight here some words which may could giving another perspective.
Good luck Marius! :)

Last edited:
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is the second level of the tournament. CO stats after only 14 hands are: VPIP 21 PFR 14

Since is the start of the tournament I decide to open raise with 22 and if I get 3-bet I fold pre and move on. On the flop I decided to c-bet after he checked, but after he minraise I still think that my hand is still good so I decided to call his raise. Now on the turn he bets almost pot...what would you do guys here?

Pre-Flop: (154) Hero is MP+1 with 2♥ 2♦

Flop: (424) T♦ T♠ 4♦ (2 players)

Turn:
(1,532) T♥ (2 players)
SB bets 1,449, MP+1 (Hero) ?
Thank you for sharing your hands, not everyone feels comfortable doing that.

I mention preplanning hands often :geek: this is another spot where we do that and by doing it make our MTT strategies more defined

#1 stack depth- we are very deep effective
#2 we are MP-1 with 2 IP players left to act and 2 live blinds

What does that mean for our hand ranges preflop?
#1 deep means we get called more often preflop-therefore we need more equity in our open range when called
#2 Mp1 position suggest we will be called more often by a V IP-more equity needed with our open range
#3 deep means our V will call more often on flops- both IP and OOP-more equity needed
#4 to play for stacks we want hands that dominate other hands-this effects our open range

GTO charts have 22 as an open in this spot but GTO expects CO V to 3 bet 35% ish of range as a bluff but most V just call most often- when they 3 bet we are folding 22 so we are not putting our stack in jeopardy post flop but when they call we now are in a difficult spot with a low EQR hand(equity realization
We have to have a very high skill level to make this open + EV vs a non-GTO V type as we are getting post flop much more often
CO GTO range deep stacked has CO playing only 17% of range-standard V are never that EQR aware so they call with much wider ranges
BTN is playing 21% of hands gto vs HJ only again standard V are wider and not 3 betting enough
Then we have the multiway factor- BB SB are over calling more often again GTO+ ranges

We now want to be thinking Exploit range change which would be to treat MP1 like EP ranges and fold 22 33 preflop you may even fold 44 but at least 44 dominates 22 33 and A2-A3 flats

As played we now have a low EQR hand in a pot with a lower fold freq by V due to position and stack depth
So preflop knowing this is the most likely scenario once called what is our goal in this pot?
The old timers got this one right- no set no bet

JappsPK

JappsPK

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
As noone opened, in my eyes MP+1 is the bottom of the spots to open the exact 22 this deep, so it's a great open.

On the flop SB did what supposed to do, checks. Both of your range is really unpredictable. Since you not hit the set, would be an aproppriate time to check back, and run this one on a low-prize, and occassionally you can bluff catch as well, or having a free street to hit now a Full House.

Your bet however had sizing problems. I would never go 50%+ on a dry board-texture like this, cause what hands you bet this strong also what hands you wanna get a call from out of position, when there's not so much thing to hit? So it's actually somewhere 25-35% if you bet on flop.

The other one was which could be working on is when you actually did an oversized bet, and still getting a check-3bet it maybe seems 'just' a small prize to compete, but it's actually uncallable, cause your opponent now taking the wheel to not only building the pot drastically, but being able to making opens on Turn and River as well, at least prepared himself / herself to do, so its not only 1 move only, it's actually very often 3 in 1 move, but at least 2 in 1!

So seing this action in a whole, you stated in your original post that if any 3-bet is going to happen, you will fold pocket 2's. But you actually forced yourself to put 9bbs more after a flop where you had bottom dealt pair. It's a great hand to see, how flexible we could be once if we not mined our set successfully with our small dealt pairs, and how easily should we get away from them even on a board like this. Also on a dry board how uncomfortable a 3-bet can be, when we are oversizing our hand, which could only be good once we run it cheap and giving more and more streets to get there, but only on a low prize.

I think if you work these smaller problems out and being more catious about how you wanna arrive as a bluffcatching hand if you can, it's gonna be all right. I also tried to highlight here some words which may could giving another perspective.
When the Villain bet almost the pot on the turn i just think is too risky to call, the big mistake was not checking on the flop... Even betting low i think its a mistake due to a long term playing this way.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Thank you all for your feedback. 🙏

So seeing this action in a whole, you stated in your original post that if any 3-bet is going to happen, you will fold pocket 2's. But you actually forced yourself to put 9bbs more after a flop where you had bottom dealt pair. It's a great hand to see, how flexible we could be once if we not mined our set successfully with our small dealt pairs, and how easily should we get away from them even on a board like this. Also on a dry board how uncomfortable a 3-bet can be, when we are oversizing our hand, which could only be good once we run it cheap and giving more and more streets to get there, but only on a low prize.

I think if you work these smaller problems out and being more cautious about how you wanna arrive as a bluff catching hand if you can, it's gonna be all right. I also tried to highlight here some words which may could giving another perspective.

Yes I do think that this is one of my problems with my game. I have a plan in my hand preplanned, but when I play post flop I often get in this spots when I can't seem to let go and move to next hand. I am aware of this problem in my game and I will fix it.

Here is the full hand:

Replay this hand on CardsChat

Pre-Flop: (154) Hero is MP+1 with 2 2

Flop: (424) T T 4 (2 players)

Turn:
(1,532) T (2 players)
SB bets 1,449, MP+1 (Hero) folds

Total pot: 1,532
SB wins 1,532

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Its fine to open 22 when this deep.

Flop
Some players like to do a lot of check-raising on paired boards, because they know, its difficult for their opponent to have a strong hand on such a board. For that reason we dont want to do to much bet-folding on paired boards, unless we know the opponent is very straight forward and will only raise, when he actually has it. In this case you did not have such information, and this is not a hand, we want to play a big pot with. So for me the best play is to check back and take the play away from them. Sure you run the risk of getting drawn out on, but this hand is not really strong enough to protect. Even you were the preflop raiser, most of the value from playing 22 comes from the chance of hitting a set and winning a big pot.

Turn
Now its even less likely, he has a T, so what is he really representing here? He most likely has a bluff, but if he is ahead, you are now drawing dead, and you are most likely going to face a big river bet as well. So as played I agree with giving up and letting him have it.

Results
I think, there is a high chance, you got outplayed here, and the way to avoid it is to check back the flop. If you had checked back the flop, you can call a turn bet on this runout and possibly even call a river bet as well and snap off some bluffs.

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fold on the flop. too hard to realize equity with this hand against his blasting range.
hope this helps and Good Luck!