$15 NLHE STT Deep Stacked: Is double barreling mandatory here?

R

RAFC24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,
Couldnt convert the hand for some reason with the history straight out of poker tracker but here it is so sorry for the inconvenience.
Blinds at 15/30 with 8 players left.
Hero on the button (Stack: 1975)
UTG+3 limps.
Hero makes it 90 with KhJs
BB calls (stack 1220) , limper folds
Flop: 3h8s6c pot: 225
BB checks, Hero bets 120, villain calls.
Pot: 465
Turn: Th
Villain checks, Hero checks
River Jh
Villain bets 480, I decide to call with 2:1 pot odds.
Sure didnt look like that flop hit him so I c-bet. Once he called I decided to sort of shut down..not sure why but not too comfortable with barreling again.
No real read on villain wasnt super tight or crazy agressive or anything.
Would u guys have bet the turn?
Thanks

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The flop doesn't look like it hit you either, there isn't too much in his range here that wouldn't be tempted to continue on the flop.

Pairs will continue, draws will continue, some overcards will continue.

That said, i'm likely to check back this flop, but it isn't bad to bet it, as long as we are able to fire turns.

I'd be betting like 140ish on the turn, which allows us to charge him if he's drawing, or if we're behind, we get to see the river cheaply, and the main point of it is we save ourselves being bluffed on the river. If we check back on the turn it shows weakness, which means he's likely betting the river with whatever garbage he has, which means i'm always calling this river.

R

RAFC24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Wizzim,
Thanks for the reply.
A few points though, betting about 140 into a pot of 465 gives him about 4:3 to 1 odds to draw to whatever he is drawing to so why such a smallish bet? I understant it could serve as a turn blocking bet to see a cheap river but it gives him the right price to chase his draws doesnt it?
Also when you say we can bet the flop as long as we are able to also bet the turn do you mean as in we have enough chips to do so or that double barreling is a part of my ''repertoire'' so to speak, basically are you saying betting the flop is part 1 of a 2 part plan?
Thanks

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he's on a flush draw he's got eight outs (Kh is in our hand), same if he's somehow wound up with an OESD / double gutter. Eight outs is only 17.4% to hit on the river so you don't have to bet all that much to lay one of those hands the wrong price.

I haven't done the math on whether 140 is the right number or not because I'm lazy but if that's not enough it won't need to be a lot more.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the call is fine at this stage in a STT, no need to get out of line with a pair and a reasonable kicker.

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the turn bet being abit small , for one you are not going to get much information about his hand , 2 if the bet is not laying the right price for a draw but is close , he might consider his impied odd which makes the price right , 3 because the pot is now reasnable he might see the weak bet as weaknes and test you with a raise. Imo a bet of half the pot has a much better chance of taking the pot down here and there without going to the river.
Hi Wizzim,
Thanks for the reply.
A few points though, betting about 140 into a pot of 465 gives him about 4:3 to 1 odds to draw to whatever he is drawing to so why such a smallish bet? I understant it could serve as a turn blocking bet to see a cheap river but it gives him the right price to chase his draws doesnt it?
Also when you say we can bet the flop as long as we are able to also bet the turn do you mean as in we have enough chips to do so or that double barreling is a part of my ''repertoire'' so to speak, basically are you saying betting the flop is part 1 of a 2 part plan?
Thanks