$15 NLHE MTT: ATo from MP, multi-way pot

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thoughts on every street? No read on BB, CO seems like a bit of a call station. Tight and weak.

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - 275/550 (66 ante) - 9 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat

Chaboy3 (UTG): 32,912 (60 bb)
Barman3 (UTG+1): 22,184 (40 bb)
PANVLAD (MP): 14,734 (27 bb)
royalburrito24 (MP+1): 81,347 (148 bb)
Mephisto6000 (LP): 47,371 (86 bb)
Da o Dinheiro (CO): 40,814 (74 bb)
Zibby34 (BU): 18,365 (33 bb)
19Raz-Dva86 (SB): 10,339 (19 bb)
Flipaaaa (BB): 16,943 (31 bb)

Pre-Flop: (1,419) Hero (royalburrito24) is MP+1 with T A
3 players fold, royalburrito24 (MP+1) raises to 1,515, 1 fold, Da o Dinheiro (CO) calls 1,515, 2 players fold, Flipaaaa (BB) calls 965

Flop: (5,414) 5 2 Q (3 players)
Flipaaaa (BB) checks, royalburrito24 (MP+1) checks, Da o Dinheiro (CO) checks

Turn: (5,414) 7 (3 players)
Flipaaaa (BB) checks, royalburrito24 (MP+1) bets 3,465, Da o Dinheiro (CO) calls 3,465, Flipaaaa (BB) calls 3,465

River: (15,809) A (3 players)
Flipaaaa (BB) checks, royalburrito24 (MP+1) checks, Da o Dinheiro (CO) bets 9,932, Flipaaaa (BB) folds, royalburrito24 (MP+1) calls 9,932

S

ssbn743

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thoughts on every street? No read on BB, CO seems like a bit of a call station. Tight and weak.

3 players fold, royalburrito24 (MP+1) raises to 1,515, 1 fold, Da o Dinheiro (CO) calls 1,515, 2 players fold, Flipaaaa (BB) calls 965

Flipaaaa (BB) checks, royalburrito24 (MP+1) bets 3,465, Da o Dinheiro (CO) calls 3,465, Flipaaaa (BB) calls 3,465

Flipaaaa (BB) checks, royalburrito24 (MP+1) checks, Da o Dinheiro (CO) bets 9,932, Flipaaaa (BB) folds, royalburrito24 (MP+1) calls 9,932

Ok, well.... pre-flop is obviously fine. I do kind of like a C-bet otf but am fine with a check probably 40% of the time.

If we cbet flop, we fire here, as played, I think we should just check-back turn. I would delay C-bet on turns that hit our range better than a 7.

River - I don't know - probably a fold actually - but I don't like it. Generally I would say this is going to have to be a call, just from range geometry, but at these stakes we're pretty unlikely to be good here and we block nothing but Ax hands.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would probably also call, knowing that I lose over half the time. Villain could easily have a flush, better Ace, or even a set of 7s. But bet could be a bluff or a lower Ace. I'd call and probably pay for it.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
River - I don't know - probably a fold actually - but I don't like it. Generally I would say this is going to have to be a call, just from range geometry, but at these stakes we're pretty unlikely to be good here and we block nothing but Ax hands.

Appreciate your feedback here, and on all those other threads I see you putting time in to!!

By “at these stakes” do you mean a $15 tourney rather than a $1 tourney?

I learned the game online 12 years ago, but have only played live cash games for the past few years. Occasional tourneys but I found I really thrive on the cash game tables. Only recently I’ve started back online since covid, and rediscovered my love for tournaments and the allure of those top 3 prize monies.

I’ve heard that a $10 online MTT is comparable to like a $75 live MTT, in terms of overall skill level of entrants?

My cash game was 200NL, but apparently online players at 200NL are far better than the live players? But in fact 10NL online is comparable to 200NL live?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank you for posting

Preflop we need to be aware of effective stack sizes. SB has a, if they play they should be shoving stack size. BB can also shove as a squeeze. AToff is not strong enough to call and we have a calling station in position so we may choose to not open this hand based on those factors

On the flop we need to try to take this pot right now. We have big hands in our range that hit the Q and are better than a Q. We cannot play our hand like we are holding AT. So we should bet to get folds so we need to bet 60% pot and then fold to any raise and be thinking about a 2 barrel bluff on non-heart turns.
The calling station should have a wide range that missed the flop and could fold. As we see on the flop the check indicates missed hands. Which means we may have gotten a fold.
If the BB calls we can still hit and we may get to check turn and get a free card. BB may also have a weaker A high that we win vs.
Our check screams missed hand so we have no way to sell strength to the average player on the turn, especially not a calling station

Turn:

We bet turn 2 calls, just as I said no thought by our V that you had QQ and checked it.
Your bet sizing now screams please fold. If you had a set of QQ what sizing would you choose after BB checks twice and the calling station checked with position.

To win this pot unimproved we need to be thinking 2 bluffs not one. So we bet a size on the turn that looks like we are getting value then bomb the river on a non-heart. Or we do not bet at all

River
This AH sucks for us

We now may have the best hand but 2 players played exactly how they would play if they had a flush draw or A5 or A2 34 some players will even slow play sets on the turn for fear of the flush draw then bet when checked 2 on the river.

So would this V value bet a hand that is worse than AT on that river?
Would this V bluff? What was your plan on the turn if the CO has bluffs on the river?

Your description of CO was tight and weak so why would a tight weak player bluff vs your QQ AK hands that you might play exactly as you did?

So of course this player may be making a suicide bluff and you have enough chips to call. Which you did so you now know what V held so you can analyze this V’s thinking and try to apply it to your player pool.

Here are some questions to help with strategy analysis
Why did V check flop in position?
Why did V call turn not raise?
Why did V choose this bet sizing?
Did this V target me for a bluff? Why if they did? What about my play suggests I fold here?
Was this a standard bluff the flush with the Kh blocker play?
Was this thin value? How thin?

Hope this helps

:):)

S

ssbn743

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Appreciate your feedback here, and on all those other threads I see you putting time in to!!

By “at these stakes” do you mean a $15 tourney rather than a $1 tourney?

I learned the game online 12 years ago, but have only played live cash games for the past few years. Occasional tourneys but I found I really thrive on the cash game tables. Only recently I’ve started back online since covid, and rediscovered my love for tournaments and the allure of those top 3 prize monies.

I’ve heard that a $10 online MTT is comparable to like a $75 live MTT, in terms of overall skill level of entrants?

My cash game was 200NL, but apparently online players at 200NL are far better than the live players? But in fact 10NL online is comparable to 200NL live?

Haha - yeah thanks, I'm really just kind of bored - and I can't play Poker myself, so....

At these stacks, just means relatively low buy-ins where I see, and even remember from my day, some of the buffoonery that would occur. Maybe not quite as bad as your $1 variety - but still...

I started online as well, in 2005 - but as an American that ended and I was basically forced to transition to live Poker. I'm still pissed off about it (It's only been nearly 10 years) - but, I've actually grown to prefer live Poker. I'm not sure I could ever go back online.

And I do prefer tournaments. I am aware of the adage that good tournament players are horrible cash players and vice versa. I can see some truth to that, but at the same time, to each his own. I enjoy the structure a tournament provides - it's like a game that progresses in phases whereas a cash game is basically just one single phase. So, bottom line, I just prefer tournaments.

When I first started, if I remember right, I was doing $80 live events and have now progressed up to higher stakes; typically the $600-$1,650, range, but I also try to do the Main every year as well - this would have been my 5th year in a row - we'll see, maybe it still will be, but it won't be in July :) As for cash, I typically stick to 10NL, but will occasionally do slightly higher 20-50NL. The problem for me is that I live in Colorado, a state that has a $100 spread limit rule - so cash in this state is all but horrendous. So any cash for me happens in Vegas or home games. And home games, more and more, are PLO dominated - sometimes you'll see NL/PLO rounds, but that just turns into PLO with two-cards :)

$10 to $75 huh? I've never heard that but that sounds pretty accurate actually. So, a $600 live event would be $80 online? Boy, that'd be easier on the bankroll :)

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for posting

Preflop we need to be aware of effective stack sizes. SB has a, if they play they should be shoving stack size. BB can also shove as a squeeze. AToff is not strong enough to call and we have a calling station in position so we may choose to not open this hand based on those factors

On the flop we need to try to take this pot right now. We have big hands in our range that hit the Q and are better than a Q. We cannot play our hand like we are holding AT. So we should bet to get folds so we need to bet 60% pot and then fold to any raise and be thinking about a 2 barrel bluff on non-heart turns.
The calling station should have a wide range that missed the flop and could fold. As we see on the flop the check indicates missed hands. Which means we may have gotten a fold.
If the BB calls we can still hit and we may get to check turn and get a free card. BB may also have a weaker A high that we win vs.
Our check screams missed hand so we have no way to sell strength to the average player on the turn, especially not a calling station

Turn:

We bet turn 2 calls, just as I said no thought by our V that you had QQ and checked it.
Your bet sizing now screams please fold. If you had a set of QQ what sizing would you choose after BB checks twice and the calling station checked with position.

To win this pot unimproved we need to be thinking 2 bluffs not one. So we bet a size on the turn that looks like we are getting value then bomb the river on a non-heart. Or we do not bet at all

River
This AH sucks for us

We now may have the best hand but 2 players played exactly how they would play if they had a flush draw or A5 or A2 34 some players will even slow play sets on the turn for fear of the flush draw then bet when checked 2 on the river.

So would this V value bet a hand that is worse than AT on that river?
Would this V bluff? What was your plan on the turn if the CO has bluffs on the river?

Your description of CO was tight and weak so why would a tight weak player bluff vs your QQ AK hands that you might play exactly as you did?

So of course this player may be making a suicide bluff and you have enough chips to call. Which you did so you now know what V held so you can analyze this V’s thinking and try to apply it to your player pool.

Here are some questions to help with strategy analysis
Why did V check flop in position?
Why did V call turn not raise?
Why did V choose this bet sizing?
Did this V target me for a bluff? Why if they did? What about my play suggests I fold here?
Was this a standard bluff the flush with the Kh blocker play?
Was this thin value? How thin?

Hope this helps

:):)

Thank you for this!