Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A live tournament in Las Vegas
Blinds: 600-1,200
Hero's stack: 60,000
Effective Stack: 55,000 approximately

Villian in MP is limping to the pot, small blind calls and hero in big blind is looking at J J and raises to 4,000 (in hindsight it feels a bit low considering that there are two limpers in the hand), villain re-raises to 12,000, small blind fold, hero?

I don't really know how to view this kind of move. limp-raise seems very fishy to me, and I always worry that someone (especially bad-mediocre players) will do it with a monster hand. moreover since I was just moved to that table, I don't have much info about villain other than the fact that he's very chatty.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against a strong limp-reraise range (TT+,AQo+,AQs+), JJ is slightly behind. When 4bet shove and get called, JJ is dominated by QQ+ and playing coinflip with AK. I tend to avoid coin-flip situation facing unknown limper and will wait for better spot.

I would't flat the re-raise due to lack of position and low SPR if called.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tend to agree with quant's analysis, and actually live I'd generally be assigning an even tighter range to a limp/reraise. I think it's weighted even more heavily to QQ+, where they probably do it with more combos of AA than KK, and more combos of KK than QQ.

So I like a fold here, and if we do call, we're basically set mining (without the right price). I definitely would NOT be jamming here.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would typically advocate raising bigger; however in this particular situation it works out nicely that you raised to 4k because raise folding a hand as strong as JJ hurts less here.

I think we gotta fold here. He's repping KK,AA and there are plenty of players that will also play AK this way but even against AK we're not in the best shape.

I'm trying to decide at what stack size I just have to stack off preflop...I'm not 100% sure the answer but I think it's something like 25-35bb depending on player reads and table dynamics

J

julianjjboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you saw villian do this move before,and his hands is monster,you can easy fold your JJ,consider you not sure what villian style, you can fold this spot, just lost 3-4bb , I think it's ok.

C

collesut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Played good from my perspective, because you are nicely stacked, it Is a live tournament(you can get a lot more info on a player live) and no need to risk it all on coinflip at best

omnom8

omnom8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
without any nots to limper it is easy fold for me
it seems like QQ+ AK+