$130 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked Rebuy: NLHE MTT short stacked near bubble with 88 facing early position raiser

What should I have done?

• Fold

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Ship

• Flat

• Total voters
Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$130 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked Rebuy: NLHE MTT short stacked near bubble with 88 facing early position raiser

This is a live 12 table tournament, about 6 people away from the bubble.

Ok, so I don't tend to think in terms of BB I think in terms of "M" or cost per orbit (or starting pot). I'll attempt to convert to BBs....

I am sitting on about an M=4 stack, so roughly 12BB.

I've got a pretty tight, solid image at my table.

UTG is a solid player and he opens for 2.5x the BB. He is one of the most skilled players in the whole tourney and while he is capable of playing A2C, his UTG opening range at this stage of the tourney is pretty snug. I'd estimate 66+ and AK, AQ and AJ, possibly ATsuited but maybe not. Also, he is above average in chips so he has an M=15 or roughly 45BB.

I am UTG+1 and I look down at 88 I am pretty sure if I ship he'll call. I will be needing a double up sometime soon, probably before the bubble bursts. We are in early position and there is danger of other players, but I'm pretty sure his raise and my all-in will scare off all but premium hands.

So, I'm basically hoping for a race against a player who is better than me. I also estimate that I am one of the better players remaining, at least top 20% of remaining players...so I'm not looking to blindly shove any reasonable hand...I've been pretty successful at blind stealing with my tight image and expect that can continue a while longer....

I read him as very comfortable.

what should I have done?

J

jackaoliver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is simply a shove or fold spot. you do not have the odds to call to try and setmine. I personally would shove purely becuase the more you blind and ante out the less effect a double up would have on your chances of making a deep run. you are flipping against or slightly ahead of one player with two over cards. You have to be aiming for a big cash rather than a min cash so fir these reasons i would shove. what happened?

Snakmacher

Snakmacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would raise by half of my stack and would anticipate only 1 or 2 to call and with luck to get 8 on flop or turn....

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if the range you gave is accurate then fold, if its not then ship

nax

nax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given the range I'd fold in this spot. What did you do in the end?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I flatted with the intention of jamming any flop that didn't contain an ace.

but then the SB shipped over the top and the initial raiser insta shipped, so I folded.

initial raiser had QQ, the SB had KJ. I would have been out if the SB didn't ship because the flop came 922.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop I probably fold here. You have medium pocket pair. All tables behind you. Besides I'm not sure with my 88 vs UTG- player who is a solid player. I prefer to choose other player, maybe a player who is a little weaker than UTG.