€1200 NLHE MTT: 3b shoving vs ep open from old guy with huge stack

arkstfan

arkstfan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
FPS Divonne event I played in September. New table about 20 hands in or so and we just got back from dinner break, like the 2nd or 3rd hand.

I have 17k at 500/1000 100 ante. ~200 of 400 left 48 pay

Villian is older an frenchmen with a nice watch and covers everyone at the table. I literally haven't seen him play a hand.

I am the youngest player at the table and am wearing a hoody and showed a big semi-bluff earlier with a turned flush draw and 4 bet jammed my button vs a big blind 3b before the break.

He opens to 2500 utg+1 and it folds to me in the hj with TT.

Obviously our options are 3b jam or fold. What do you guys think?

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What relevance does him being "old" have?

arkstfan

arkstfan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This comment made me think maybe the guy was 30+ :p

Yeah haha he was like 45 or 50. baudib is right though, I jammed and he snapped with aces. Online super standard but live I think it is pretty spewy.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
folding seems ridiculous but hey lol live donkaments

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean yeah online I'm not folding TT/AK to anyone really (I have actually folded QQ about 3 times in donkaments) but this type of live player is so common it's not even close. This guy is waiting for the nuts.

At Borgata recently I had a hand where I raised JJ in EP and an older guy 3-bet me for 1/2 his stack from the SB. I mean I took a while to fold and berated myself for it later because his range was so face up and he hadn't 3-bet in four hours, it's pretty much a lolsnap fold.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
according to OP tho they'd only played 20 hands and the guy was french and had a nice watch and was under 60 (over 60 and you're guaranteed a range of KK+), so he could still have something like 88 imo (its not like hes gonna open fold 88 w/ the biggest stack and antes in play and wearing a nice watch)

arkstfan

arkstfan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
according to OP tho they'd only played 20 hands and the guy was french and had a nice watch and was under 60 (over 60 and you're guaranteed a range of KK+), so he could still have something like 88 imo (its not like hes gonna open fold 88 w/ the biggest stack and antes in play and wearing a nice watch)

True, 47% equity against that range (88+,AQs+,KQs,AQo+) 40 against JJ+ and AQo+ AQs,.

If you put 88+ plus in his range you have to shove regardless.

The reason I think it's spewy is that I got the feeling I could continue running over the table without showing down until I got coolered; but I still have enough chips to keep doing so, at least pf. Maybe I'm results oriented, but I seem to have a problem in my game with 3b jamming mid pairs into monsters live for whatever reason.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can actually tell a lot about someone in 20 hands, especially when they have a big stack. How many big stacks sit for more than 2 rounds without even a steal attempt? There's a pretty good chance they folded a pretty good hand in that span.

A good tell you can get in this spot is the reaction of players who have been sitting with this guy for a while and then see him raise.

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can actually tell a lot about someone in 20 hands, especially when they have a big stack. How many big stacks sit for more than 2 rounds without even a steal attempt? There's a pretty good chance they folded a pretty good hand in that span.

A good tell you can get in this spot is the reaction of players who have been sitting with this guy for a while and then see him raise.
It's probably quite rare in live poker (where you have nothing else to think about) but I bet it's quite common in online poker (where you have a multitude of distractions).

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
old guy opens UTG it's only JJ+, AK+. Even if it is wider than this his 3b calling range has you crushed

slobasaurus

slobasaurus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my 2 cents

Hmm let me see, hes got a watch on that lets say is worth 5k..
Hes got everybody covered at the table....
NO WAY IM FOLDING THIS HAND.
IM DUNKING 100% of the time in this spot.