11bb shove into multiple limpers

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.boomplayer.com/29360986_9CE82CABBF

AQo on the BTN. 4 players limp before us. 11-12 BB I felt shoving is the best play here, the table was all LP fish.

A couple callers to the shove, and a limp-reshove (lol) It also turns out one of the villains limped behind with AKo, which seems completely outrageous to do.
What do you guys think of this play. Did I hang myself here or was shoving this big ace the only option.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shoving is definitely the best option.

Id jam up to like 18bb, and raise/stack off up to like 30bb

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shoving is definitely the best option.

Id jam up to like 18bb, and raise/stack off up to like 30bb

I agree.

Your playing a tournement where people are very loose, so getting it
in with AQ that spot is a no brainer :D

Good luck in the league!

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ha ha, this is such an old trick for weak players, from an early position comes limp with a strong hand

M

Misticblair

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
over-all you have 2 options - avoid risk vs equal/higher stacks just to look for better spot, (most of the time you'll go against AK no doubt, and it is really annoying to be underdog) or just shove insta with >20bb , with more you'd be folding or stack your enemies.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have waited for the flop because I played many times just as you are in this example, and are often lost hand AK. Over time, I changed my strategy because I became more experienced. And now I'm on the ground that guy with AK
But judging from the record stack you should be sufficiently small in comparison with the others. You waited for the hand that is a strong hand preflop, but not a monster. A good kicker. You are not lucky, your opponent was stronger kicker. It happens.
Keep playing.
Good Luck!

F

felipeanicio

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think any strong hand is to push.

D

davem86

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id maybe limp to see a flop and hope I hit something strong

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think shoving here is fine. The pot is already half the size of your stack and no-one has shown much strength. AA, KK and AK are usually being raised here so there's a good chance you're ahead of all the limpers. Your stack and the current pot mean you can't raise less than all in here and I don't think you,be got enough chips to wait for a better spot.
I don't think limping is an option here because unless you hit a straight on an otherwise dry board it will be difficult to know where you stand against several limpers.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is another hand I played in the CC Freeroll where I am wondering if shoving was the correct play.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/9282746

I had roughly 25bb and blinds are 75/150, so still fairly early in tournament.

UTG opens for 400 chips and gets 1 call. My plan was to 3-bet the UTG raiser, but when someone called before me I was very confused on how to proceed.

I shoved with the thought that if they all fold I will gain a decent pot of around 1000 chips, and if called, my equity is still very good, except against AA or KK. (Which of course could be in UTG range, but not the caller)

Please tell me what you think? I would love to hear more insight into these spots.

Hand Information
, 150 BB (8 handed).
Hand History converter courtesy of pokerhandreplays.com

Table Information
Seat: 1 Player 1 ($1480)
Seat: 2 Player 2 ($4911)
Seat: 3 Player 3 ($11833)
Seat: 4 Player 4 ($4081)
Seat: 5 Player 5 ($1285) Dealer
Seat: 6 Player 6 ($3550) Small Blind
Seat: 7 Player 7 ($1495) Big Blind
Seat: 9 Player 9 ($3941)
Seat 1Player 1 Ante: 15
Seat 2Player 2 Ante: 15
Seat 3Player 3 Ante: 15
Seat 4Player 4 Ante: 15
Seat 5Player 5 Ante: 15
Seat 6Player 6 Ante: 15
Seat 7Player 7 Ante: 15
Seat 9Player 9 Ante: 15
Dealt to

Preflop (Pot:345)
Player 9 RAISE $398
Player 1 FOLD
Player 2 CALL $398
Player 3 FOLD
Player 4 ALL-IN
Player 5 FOLD
Player 6 FOLD
Player 7 FOLD
Player 9 FOLD
Player 2 CALL $3668

Flop(Pot: $8905)
9D.png
9H.png
8H.png

Turn(Pot: $8905)
9D.png
9H.png
8H.png
QC.png

River(Pot: $8905)
9D.png
9H.png
8H.png
QC.png
3S.png

Showdown:
Player 2 SHOWS
8C.png
8D.png

Player 4 SHOWS
KH.png
AD.png

Player 1 wins the side pot : $0
Player 1 wins the main pot : $8905

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This play tends to work the best when you know the limpers are HBLs (High Blind Limpers ,who fold to raises). Its good to mark players who make silly high blind limps and fold to further action, then you know who your shove is going to work the best on.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this shove in the second hand is fine too. Your AK is definitely good enough to reraise, it could work as a squeeze play - if UTG has been loose the caller may have called with a wider range and your reraise might win you the pot if both fold. I was going to say I might have raised smaller, about the size of the pot. But after a lot of thought I think you have to shove. It's your best chance of isolating yourself against one opponent, which I'd want with AK. And I don't think I'd be folding if anyone shoved over me.
Another option would be to call and re-evaluate on the flop.
I would rely on any reads I had to decide between shoving and calling.

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQo is a shove but realize you are going to bust probably 50-60% of the time versus 4 opponents. However, when you win, you'll have a healthy stack, and sometime you might get them all to fold.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With AQ it's a shove regardless of limpers, you would've jammed even if the AK player had raised. You could just limp along to see the flop but at 11 blinds it's a risk because you might not see another good hand till 5-6 blinds.

ChipEaterMan

ChipEaterMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.boomplayer.com/29360986_9CE82CABBF

AQo on the BTN. 4 players limp before us. 11-12 BB I felt shoving is the best play here, the table was all LP fish.

A couple callers to the shove, and a limp-reshove (lol) It also turns out one of the villains limped behind with AKo, which seems completely outrageous to do.
What do you guys think of this play. Did I hang myself here or was shoving this big ace the only option.

You had only 11 BB so there weren´t many options. Shoving was the right move but you were obviously going to be called by many players. If you had just called 200 chips there were more chances to lose and you would have also busted in that particular situation since you flopped the A and AK guy would have never folded. Try not to get to the short stack situation. Maybe shoving trying to steal blinds a bit more

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless you know 100% of the time one of the villains only limps AK or better it seems like a shove you hope doesn't get called; everything I'm reading says 11bb is time to start shove/folding, we definitely can't fold AQ, and again (unless you have a great read) nobody is exactly repping a hand that beats AQ here - and if they fold you're picking up a few extra bbs from a shove.

Thoughts from a fish - if I'm wrong let me know :)

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Here is another hand I played in the CC Freeroll where I am wondering if shoving was the correct play.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/9282746

I had roughly 25bb and blinds are 75/150, so still fairly early in tournament.

UTG opens for 400 chips and gets 1 call. My plan was to 3-bet the UTG raiser, but when someone called before me I was very confused on how to proceed.

I shoved with the thought that if they all fold I will gain a decent pot of around 1000 chips, and if called, my equity is still very good, except against AA or KK. (Which of course could be in UTG range, but not the caller)

Please tell me what you think? I would love to hear more insight into these spots.

Hand Information
, 150 BB (8 handed).
Hand History converter courtesy of pokerhandreplays.com

Table Information
Seat: 1 Player 1 ($1480)
Seat: 2 Player 2 ($4911)
Seat: 3 Player 3 ($11833)
Seat: 4 Player 4 ($4081)
Seat: 5 Player 5 ($1285) Dealer
Seat: 6 Player 6 ($3550) Small Blind
Seat: 7 Player 7 ($1495) Big Blind
Seat: 9 Player 9 ($3941)
Seat 1Player 1 Ante: 15
Seat 2Player 2 Ante: 15
Seat 3Player 3 Ante: 15
Seat 4Player 4 Ante: 15
Seat 5Player 5 Ante: 15
Seat 6Player 6 Ante: 15
Seat 7Player 7 Ante: 15
Seat 9Player 9 Ante: 15
Dealt to

Preflop (Pot:345)
Player 9 RAISE $398
Player 1 FOLD
Player 2 CALL $398
Player 3 FOLD
Player 4 ALL-IN
Player 5 FOLD
Player 6 FOLD
Player 7 FOLD
Player 9 FOLD
Player 2 CALL $3668

Flop(Pot: $8905)
9D.png
9H.png
8H.png

Turn(Pot: $8905)
9D.png
9H.png
8H.png
QC.png

River(Pot: $8905)
9D.png
9H.png
8H.png
QC.png
3S.png

Showdown:
Player 2 SHOWS
8C.png
8D.png

Player 4 SHOWS
KH.png
AD.png

Player 1 wins the side pot : $0
Player 1 wins the main pot : $8905

You played both hands perfectly, just little unlucky.

X

xbursonicx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It also turns out one of the villains limped behind with AKo, which seems completely outrageous to do.

That's not a surprising play for PS School Initiation Level freeroll:). I'd say one should expect something like that in such situations. Also I've seen calling/reshoving with QJo or KTo in multi-way pot rather often.

All this doesn't mean you did anything wrong - you just have to expect to gamble a lot in freerolls like that. In a real money tourney the shoves like yours is a pretty standard move.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless you know 100% of the time one of the villains only limps AK or better it seems like a shove you hope doesn't get called; everything I'm reading says 11bb is time to start shove/folding, we definitely can't fold AQ, and again (unless you have a great read) nobody is exactly repping a hand that beats AQ here - and if they fold you're picking up a few extra bbs from a shove.

Thoughts from a fish - if I'm wrong let me know :)

The thing is, these players are as loose passive as it gets, they do not just limp/fold to a 11bb shove. I expected 1 or 2 callers minimum, but I also expected to be going in with the best hand or be flipping against a low pair.

I would shove here almost everytime, except maybe over a very tight player opening from EP. But that type of player is very rare in this league.

Thankfully I have finished my time playing in the initiation league at pokerstars school, I ended up going deep in my final game, making 3rd place and finishing in the Top20 in the leaderboard. :D

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing is, these players are as loose passive as it gets, they do not just limp/fold to a 11bb shove. I expected 1 or 2 callers minimum, but I also expected to be going in with the best hand or be flipping against a low pair.

I would shove here almost everytime, except maybe over a very tight player opening from EP. But that type of player is very rare in this league.

Thankfully I have finished my time playing in the initiation league at pokerstars school, I ended up going deep in my final game, making 3rd place and finishing in the Top20 in the leaderboard. :D

Yeah I think this is just one of those sighing shoves and prepare for heartbreak a non-insignificant amount of the time.

Congrats on your cash! Hopefully see you in the real tournaments soon :D

Flight777sem

Flight777sem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s a show with that stack size, can’t do anything about it