$11 NLHE MTT Rebuy: $11 R+A NLHE MTT Rebuy: $$11 R+A NLHE MTT Rebuy: shoving k10 vs cutoff open

B

BigXerxes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$11 NLHE MTT Rebuy: shoving k10 vs cutoff open

Final 12 in R+A tourney at BetOnline
UTG FKYeah 10BBs - Fold
HiJack Taemin 22BBs - Fold
Cutoff sir.poker 62BBs - raise 2bbs
Button 108clubs 30BBs - Fold
SB gatos 14BBs - Fold
Hero in BB with 12 BBs (1 already in the pot) has 10Ko - Jams All in

Cutoff calls with A7 off and wins with A high

What does everyone think about this jam here? Not my favorite spot to jam as I don't expect as much fold equity as I would like but Villain is opening wide and I am looking to make a move to set myself up for a decent position at the Final Table.

Last edited:
D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's very close but I think if you can't have much fold equity from the opponent, you should jam with tigher range. I think in this case I will jam with at least KJo+ or A2o is even still better to jam than jam KTo.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This all comes down to how much you think you can get villain to fold and how aggressive have they been pre flop. The more they have been opening the better this play is but if they haveny gone crazy opening often with their big stack then their range is still decent at least. I dont think, with their stack size, you are getting villain to fold too many Ax. Then that leaves Kx which is a little less likely due to our K. If villain winds up folding 96 or something like that you get some equity protection from that fold but you also could have just played the hand with the stronger holding. In the end I dont jam here and just call. Yes I will be folding a lot of flops but it is one more BB to call where I can then see if I flop anything. If I were to flop either a K or a 10 without an ace on the board I would be check jamming. Maybe thats not the best play but I dont like jamming here if I dont think Im getting any folds.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Spots like this are, what a program like ICMizer is for. I plugged the situation into the program pretending, it was a "Deep 27 paid" from 888 Poker. This is not true, but the exact payout structure is usually not all that important with 12 people left, so it should be close enough. And ICMizer does not have KTo as a jam. It requires either KTs or KJo, so as others have said, this is close, but without a particular read KTo is not a jam.

Also ICMizer only calculate the EV of jamming. If calling has a positive EV, which it almost certainly does with KTo, then jamming needs to have a higher EV than calling. So realistically you probably want to earn at least 0,1% of the price pool by jamming, which mean, you need at least KJs or KQo.

Then we want to check the assumptions, which ICMizer makes about Villain range. It has him opening 37% of hands and calling your jam with 20% of hands. To me that is probably close enough to reality to be used, but if anything I would assume less favourable ranges for you. If I lock Villains ranges up at opening 30% and still calling 20%, now you need KQs to make a profitable jam.

So on balance this is probably quite a bit to optimistic. In general you dont want to be attacking the chip leader, since he is less likely to be willing to fold. And as others have said, you can just call here and still be left with 10BB, if you miss the flop and fold to a C-bet. And then you can start to look for spots, where you get to raise first in. Which with a 10-12 BB stack tends to give you way more fold equity, than if someone have already put in 2BB.

B

BigXerxes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was a weird spot. Like you said I think the call would’ve been better. I just didn’t love it since after being Sb next turn my stack would be in the 9bb range unless I connected with flop. That would’ve been fine though. What made it trickier was chip leader had only been on table for about 2 orbits. During these 2 orbits he had been opening at least 40% of hands and probably closer to 50%. I think in retrospect he had just been getting good cards though. But at the time I put him on a little bit too loose of a range so it seemed like a good jam in the moment even though typically kJo or k10s would be a better jam. Tough spot. Call would’ve been better especially since I had been on a table with him earlier in the tournament and had him noted as a solid player.

S

SoulMan87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like it. Maybe when you below 10 BB. Just wait for better hand.