Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ICM mistake?
MTT
$2300 for first prize
10 players left
$55 prize jump (5 buy-ins)
I’m second last in chips with 14bb. Short stack in other table has like 9bb.
It’s 5 handed
I’m in the big blind with AJo
Folds around to SB
SB shoves all in
Bad that I called?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the other stacks were 20-30BB, then ICMizer has you calling 21% of hands, which is all the way down to A5o, A3s and 55. He is supposed to be jamming 80% of hands. If you had a solid read, he was jamming less, you can take off some marginal calls, but AJo is way to high up in your range. So no this is not a mistake, and its not close either.

It sounds like one of those situations, where a lot of people get results oriented, because they busted on the final table bubble. But in reality this does not matter, since the payjump from 10 to 9 is usually insignificant. "Reaching the final table" is one of those false achievements, which people tend to get hung up on.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No it’s not, AJ is to strong to fold, that opportunity to double up probably will not come again, and if you pass, that short stack maybe doubles, and then you are shortest stack... etc. Your call was right, don’t worry about it.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the other stacks were 20-30BB, then ICMizer has you calling 21% of hands, which is all the way down to A5o, A3s and 55. He is supposed to be jamming 80% of hands. If you had a solid read, he was jamming less, you can take off some marginal calls, but AJo is way to high up in your range. So no this is not a mistake, and its not close either.

It sounds like one of those situations, where a lot of people get results oriented, because they busted on the final table bubble. But in reality this does not matter, since the payjump from 10 to 9 is usually insignificant. "Reaching the final table" is one of those false achievements, which people tend to get hung up on.

This cannot be answered any better. Icmizer is definitely the go to tool in these situations and will give you the answers you are looking for. I agree that most ppl in these spots are only questioning the hands they lose rather than all of the hands they play. Sometimes you are going to run KKs into AA - does it make it a bad play to get it in with KKs? Of course not, sometimes we are just going to run into the top of our opponents range and it is what it is. My point here is that we need to focus on proper play rather than ending results - and as fundiver already eluded to here, AJo is a snap call in this spot - calling is the correct play, the rest of the outcome is not up to us.

T

tomasdig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While AJo is strong enough to call here, it would also help to know how the SB has been playing thus far. If he's been super tight, I'd consider folding. But as fundiver said, if he's somewhat competent he's pushing pretty wide and it's a snap call from you.

whowantwhat

whowantwhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
still doesn’t feel good :( busted AJ<A4

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

Snap call, well played.

Don't be results orientated.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
still doesn’t feel good :( busted AJ<A4

But then you got it in ahead, and what are you going to do about running bad? Even if you are lucky enough to get dealth aces, they are still losing 21% of the time to JTs. No hand is assured to win, when all the chips go in preflop, so just get used to spots like this and dont even worry about them :)