$11 NLHE MTT Bounty Rebuy: Should I call here with a straight on a paired board?

Call or Fold?

• Call

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Fold

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
W

wherbie718

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone,

This is a hand from a 6-max, bounty tournament. This is an $11 buy-in tourney, with a $2 bounty ($8+$2+$1). It is early in the tournament and the re-entry period is still open. I haven't played that much with the villain and haven't seen them turn over anything of note at this point in the tourney. Starting stack is 3000.

NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

CO: 3,512 (VPIP: 24.59, PFR: 21.40, 3Bet Preflop: 9.80, hands: 678)
BTN: 8,420 (VPIP: 36.36, PFR: 4.55, 3Bet Preflop: 9.09, Hands: 24)
HERO (SB): 2,450
BB: 3,000
UTG: 4,620
VILLAIN (MP): 4,953 (VPIP: 43.48, PFR: 17.39, 3Bet Preflop: 8.33, Hands: 23)

HERO posts SB 20, BB posts BB 40

Pre Flop: (pot: 60) Hero has 8:diamond: 9:diamond:

fold, VILLAIN calls 40, fold, fold, HERO calls 20, BB checks

Flop: (120, 3 players) 3:diamond: 5:heart: 7:diamond:
HERO bets 80, BB fold, VILLAIN calls 80

Turn: (280, 2 players) 6:spade:
HERO bets 170, VILLAIN calls 170

River: (620, 2 players) 6:heart:
HERO bets 375, VILLAIN raises to 4,663 and is all-in

On the river, the villain puts me all-in for my last 1785. Should I call in this spot here?

Thanks for any and all feedback on the hand, as well as thoughts on how to play the river here.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
snap call, if he beats you, rebuy....

S

Scrover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have the nut straight only losing to a full house. I would tank call/fold depending on what the opponent has shown in the 23 hands. After all, they've called your turn bet with four to a straight and then shoved the river when you are repping a straight with the board pairing. I would have bet more like 450-470 on the river or even if you could pot because four's are going almost nowhere and if you get raised, then we have a slightly easier decision considering that we aren't showing weakness.

76 or 65 seems my guess of what the person had because it was limpy limpy preflop and the persons high VPIP, but I'm open to criticism on my thinking.

R

Ragabouz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just call, he might have a Three of a Kind (70%) maybe with A-6 and you have the nut straight.
But he might also have a pair of 6 (in his hand so 4 of a kind) or a Full house.

I would have bet 950 on the turn.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have the nut straight only losing to a full house. I would tank call/fold depending on what the opponent has shown in the 23 hands. After all, they've called your turn bet with four to a straight and then shoved the river when you are repping a straight with the board pairing. I would have bet more like 450-470 on the river or even if you could pot because four's are going almost nowhere and if you get raised, then we have a slightly easier decision considering that we aren't showing weakness.

76 or 65 seems my guess of what the person had because it was limpy limpy preflop and the persons high VPIP, but I'm open to criticism on my thinking.

Ya, this is a really strong line from a random villian. however it's also a rebuy, so people go crazy in these things, you have to factor in stupidity, plus the fact that he cannot knock you out of this tournament, unless you decide you want to be knocked out. he strong sure, but theres plenty of stuff we still beat that he would consider "strong".

we're never going to have much to go on with only 23 hands against villian, so we just treat him as a random.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call sir.
Many hands you beat and only very few hands you lose.
You have to go deep in here because of the rebuy payout structure.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
don't see how you can fold.

It is a tank-call. Yes, sometimes you are going to be shown a boat here. But usually you are going to win and be a chip leader.

He may be repping your hand....or overvaluing a hand with a 4 in it

Edit to add: I must admit; my initial reaction was to think "fold it, the board paired" but then I stopped and thought...wait...we have the nut straight here. We're only beat by a boat. Why would we put him on a boat here? And if he actually HAD a boat why would he bet so much? Why wouldn't he bet smaller try to get paid off? it screams "fishy" at the very least and fishy bets deserve to be called by strong hands, especially in rebuy tourneys.

Last edited:
Martinez

Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looking at the board you have the top hand, so yes I would say snap call. He could be holding 2 pair looking for a full house or chasing a flush but either way with rebuys still available to me it seems a simple choice.

zarzar78

zarzar78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely, you have to call :

- he will have a trip or straight 80% of the time.
- Probably he will not have a full house, cause if he have a double pairs on the turn he will reraise you .

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even though Wizzim is a cane toad now, I 100% agree with him, snap call and re buy if needed.

HEY! how did i miss this before? damn victorians and their VB tinnies!