$11 NLHE MTT: Blind vs. Blind dilemma

M

mblmusic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PKO - 7 players at the table. About 60 players left in the tournament.

Seat 1: Villain (243244 in chips)
Seat 2: Hero (981055 in chips)
Antes poste. Everyone folded to the Villain in the small blind...

Villain: posts small blind 6000
Hero: posts big blind 12000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Kh Qd]
Villain: calls 6000
Hero: raises 24000 to 36000
Villain: raises 205684 to 241684 and is all-in

What should I have done? Call? Fold? Was my raise enough?

vsawake01

vsawake01

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check your own limp/jam range and make decision. You cover villain, so you need to take in account his bounty.

Range can be AJs-- and 55-- for example. So more likely answer is "Call".

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a PKO so a lot of math comes into play here and some assumptions that only you would know. First, you have to factor in how big in the villains bounty? The larger it is the more you should be willing to gamble with a quarter of your stack here. Secondly, how close are we to the money, are we in the money, how much money is on top etc.? You still have to pay attention to the prize pools in PKOs and then you also need to figure (this is the part only you would know) how much does losing 25% of my stack hurt me personally? How much does gaining those chips help me? How much will gaining the bounty and therefore adding it to my bounty cause others to call me down lighter later in the tournament when they have me covered and trying to win my bounty? Those are hard to answer but you should have a guess at them or an idea before you make an action here. The prize pool structure matters too as more top heavy it is the less risk adverse you should be trying to get a big stack.

As far as the hand goes in a vacuum, I think your raise size is fine as you dont need to go bigger to get folds normally and you really wouldnt want to go too much smaller just so you do have some fold equity. I dont know anything how villain plays or how smart they are but they feels like a planned limp jam play and they are strong here. Its a PKO should villain should know they will be called lighter than normal here for the most part. You are 40% against Axs that arent dominating you, you are 45% ish against pocket pairs JJ and lower but I think more often than not they dont limp with small pocket pairs there or even JJ hoping you raise (unless they see you raise often in these spots). I think you are going against a big pair here a lot and are behind. You are getting 1.35 to 1 so its close if you range him with those 99-JJ hands and AJ, A10 hands. However, I think this is weighted towards so big pairs so I would fold here in the end. I do believe though a case can be made for calling depending on how the stuff I wrote above is viewed by you and what villains bounty is. Just all bounty business aside, I think we are behind and would fold this hand.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do we have any reads on villain? That line is pretty fishy without any further info.

M

mblmusic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain was somewhat TAG. Turns out he had TT so we flipped and I lost. I think the call was correct as the all-in seemed to want to force me out as opposed to keep me in. If his range didn’t contain all the premium pairs and AK and AQ how bad could I be?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, raising to 3BB in position blind vs. blind is totally fine, and especially with an effective stack of just 20BB I dont want to go much larger. If the opponent is competent, he is going to limp his entire range is this situation, and of course he is then going to have some limp-jams. You on the other hand are going to raise with a lot of hands, and they are not all going to call a limp-jam. So if you go to big, you lose to much, when you raise-fold.

As for KQ its a rather trivial call even without bounties. As I said many times, you can plug a hand like this into ICMizer and get the exact answer to, what his jamming range is supposed to look like, and what you are supposed to call with. The fact, you can win his bounty and wont even take a big hit to your stack, if you lose, makes it an even easier call. If his bounty is large, you probably have to call here with some pretty bad hands like even low suited connectors or rag aces. I cant do the ICMizer analysis for you, since I dont know his bounty, and I am playing on pokerstars right now, which mean, I am not allowed to open up ICMizer according to their TOS.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The answer is a question
Do you think he has AK AQ KK AA QQ?
if so fold
otherwise you have overlay and a bountie and can still be ahead of your opponent.

The secret to a MTT
Fundiver my friend. (Yes I have no life)
Always try to be the chip leader
To accumulate chips fast
consistently without cards .
While im writing this proof
6e9b7d340e1a21b638ac985c5bf99321.png

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im lookin for an apprentice
488d8383a99b66e1d4b06319d5035010.png
broke the chart lol
7e5d130892df3eec25831cbaab6d8600.png

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PKO - 7 players at the table. About 60 players left in the tournament.

Seat 1: Villain (243244 in chips)
Seat 2: Hero (981055 in chips)
Antes poste. Everyone folded to the Villain in the small blind...

Villain: posts small blind 6000
Hero: posts big blind 12000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Kh Qd]
Villain: calls 6000
Hero: raises 24000 to 36000
Villain: raises 205684 to 241684 and is all-in

What should I have done? Call? Fold? Was my raise enough?

Thank You for Posting.

Here on Cardschat is Dara O'kearney the author of a PKO strategy book. Look up his thread and ask him a question about PKO's. Better yet make sure you buy his book- it is less than the cost of the entry to this tournament.

So the number 1 PKO strategy is to get a shorter stack all-in so we can get their bounty.
It is what we should be looking to do right up until the Final Table.

So we are very happy when the SB limps. Has this happened before has this player been playing a wider range weakly?

The SB has 20BB why no open raise? The SB knows their bounty is in jeopardy yet they do not raise fold from SB they limp shove. Why?
Should they be expecting us to fold? (NO)
Why? This is a bounty tournament small stacks should anticipate us calling. Even more our raise was not trying to get them to fold we are trying to build the pot to get stacks in so unless the V is really weak they should have a very premium range here.

However, for some players 22+AT+ is strong enough to shove.

Do you have Equilab? It is free, use it to work out the math on making this call.

So you ask if your raise was enough? That question suggests that you wanted your V to play to call and lose or fold. But we do not want folds here and at 20BB V can limp shove easily. We need to know that before we raise and have some idea about their range before they act so we can play our KQ correctly.

Hope this Helps

:):)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The answer is a question
Do you think he has AK AQ KK AA QQ?
if so fold
otherwise you have overlay and a bountie and can still be ahead of your opponent.

The secret to a MTT
Fundiver my friend. (Yes I have no life)
Always try to be the chip leader

Although I agree with you AKQ - it's kinda overly aggro, even maniacal to be firing 6 bullets (images shows you on your 6th bullet) in one event. If thats your style - more power to you my friend - but I don't think that is +EV.

Re: playing PKO's in general. This might be totally incorrect - or against how others play, but I have found for myself, the best way to play a PKO is to play it as if there were no bounties. To me "considering" bounties and how others take them into consideration, it makes people make bad - incorrect decisions.
Although PKOs aren't my favorite form of MTT, I can be honest and say the best finishes I have made in PKOs is when I have completely ignored the bounties. Just play poker :cool: