$11 NLHE MTT: Was this a good or a bad shove in this spot?

olliejjc16

olliejjc16

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wondering is this a good or a bad shove in this spot, sitting on around 16bb. Players in the sb and bn seem tight at 13/0 and 18/7. Dont like a min raise personally as its not a great hand to play out of position. Would it have been smarter to fold here or was the all in justified?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 11 Tournament, 600/1,200 Blinds 150 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

MP3 (t18,524)
CO (t9,285)
Hero (Button) (t20,230)
SB (t29,363)
BB (t15,107)
UTG (t19,954)
UTG+1 (t44,975)
MP1 (t11,741)
MP2 (t40,930)

Hero's M: 6.42

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3
diamond.gif
, 3
spade.gif

6 folds, Hero bets t20,080 (All-In), SB raises to t29,213 (All-In), 1 fold

Flop: (t42,710) 4
spade.gif
, J
heart.gif
, 2
diamond.gif
(2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (t42,710) A
club.gif
(2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t42,710) K
heart.gif
(2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t42,710

Results below:
Hero had 3
diamond.gif
, 3
spade.gif
(one pair, threes).
SB had A
diamond.gif
, 5
diamond.gif
(one pair, Aces).
Outcome: SB won t42,710

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Bad thing about shoving pocket 2-5ish is your going to be a coin flip at best... However you were on the button and it folded to you if you felt this is the hand what yo could've done is just bet 3x the BB leaving yourself with the shove option on the flop that way if you get a caller with something like say A5 who I don't think should have called your shove at all... if you raise 3x the BB and he shoves you can still release and you have an entire round before the blinds hit you again its risky but your not going to get busted on a coinflip... also what it does is gives you a chance to win the blinds and antes without risking your entire stack and it looks much stronger then a shove almost looks like you want a caller.. and if you do get a called your left with chips to bet so villian can fold if he misses the flop: example: you bet 3x the BB he calls flop comes 4-J-2 well now a shove on the flop makes it so he cant see the turn which won him the hand but since you shoved he got to see all 5 cards. Sometimes survival doesn't mean shove/fold just my opinion

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lately ive noticed that raises get more respect than shoves in spots like this.

when you shove (semi- short stacked) from the button, it usually means you dont want any confrontation. if you raise 2.2xBB it kinda looks as if your begging for some action and villains tend to fold abit more. i could be wrong but, shoving IMO here looks weak. ur 16 BB deep. i could find a raise/fold here. assuming villain shoves.
or if he flats,you can see what the board texture looks like and take it from there.

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really never like minraise/calling 33 at all, so its either a minraise/fold or a shove.

Whats best you should ask the shortstack cannons on here.

And how can you play out of position when you have the button?

mauikisi

mauikisi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the shove, it's a nice spot to steal a decent pot and have decent equity if you get called.

Most of the time they won't call you, and if they do, most of those times you will be on a flip with 16BB so I think it's a good shove.