$11 NLHE MTT: $10+1 NLHE MTT: $10+1 NLHE MTT 10k GTD : Good or bad preflop fold?

W

WarEagle1266

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTT, 400/1100 remaining, blinds 300/600, Hero has 100 BB

Hero UTG dealt JTo, raises 2x BB to 1200
UTG+2 (40BB) calls
Button (40BB) raises to 4k
SB (100BB)
Hero folds
UTG+2 calls.

The UTG+2 player calls a lot (about 1/3 of his hands), Button guy plays plays tight aggressive, SB guy calls a lot preflop (1/5) but doesn't raise often.

Do you think this was an ok laydown? I just did it automatically without thought and the outcome of the hand may be clouding my judgment, but was I playing to tight? Should I have just folded UTG with JTo? With 100BB, I feel I should have just called, but didn't want to get into kicker problems.

Edit: RIP title

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
You shouldn't open JTo from UTG, the weakest off-suit you should open from UTG is KQo and you can fold that too.

As played, when someone threebets it is insta fold, because it is very bottom of your range.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
JTo UTG is an easy fold every day. Its just way to week of a hand in this position, If called you are not really ahead of any other hand and since its not suited you have nearly 0 flush equity and based on what you wrote you should expect going to the flop multi way a lot of the time. Your fold to the raise was correct.

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that once your steal attempt was foiled this is an easy fold. You’d need a magical flop to make this hand playable for a big pot OOP.

Folding in Poker