$11 NLHE: AKo trap ?

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So, just to make sure that I have the lingo down, is a "set" two of a kind or three of a kind? I use the terms "pair" and "trips". I have heard "set" before, I just can't remember what it refers to.

A set is 3 of a kind when you hold a pocket pair; trips is when the board pairs and you have one in your hole cards.

So, he shoved with 44? Getting back to the orignial question, I still like a 3X-4X BB raise better than a flat call. With a raise like that, in response he shouldn't shove or even call with his hand. And I don't really feel like AK vs 44 is a "trap". More of a coin toss, don't you think?

Yep he shoved with 44 which was fairly close to the top of his range.

I think this was probably a 1 inathousand type of setup and won't be looking to trap with AK too much.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A set is 3 of a kind when you hold a pocket pair; trips is when the board pairs and you have one in your hole cards.

Cool! Thanks for the info! Now I just have to keep it straight for future use... :)

I think this was probably a 1 inathousand type of setup and won't be looking to trap with AK too much.

LOL! OK, I totally get that. Sometimes you do get into "special" circumstances with a particular player and just have to go with your read. It sounds like this guy might have done the same thing with AQ, in which case you would have had him totally dominated.

In the end, I always like it when loose and aggressive (is that LAG or LNG?) gets trapped. Probably because I find loose and aggressive the most disruptive to my game!

Thanks again for sharing! And discussing. It's been a while since I've played, so it helps to get me rolling again.

-Dave

W

WossaPotOddz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He would have shoved 44 and AQ regardless and small SC's are getting close to the right odds to shoving V's AK so maybe getting them to fold out isn't so bad at this stage if we include ICM into the equation.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise 3-4 should tell you where you are without shoving. If I've been running hot all night I might just shove and make them beat me.