Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$11 NL HE: AKo trap ?

$11 Buy-in SNG 2-table (18 players) (100/200 blinds, 25 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tourney, 8 Players left
Poker Tools by Stoxpoker

BB: 7,125 (35.6 bb) 13/12
UTG+1: 1,645 (8.2 bb)
MP1: 250 (1.3 bb)
MP2: 3,390 (17 bb)
MP3: 2,915 (14.6 bb)
Hero (CO): 3,590 (18 bb) 20/15
BTN: 2,030 (10.2 bb) 42/29
SB: 6,055 (30.3 bb) 8/8

Pre-Flop: Hero is CO with K
heart.gif
A
club.gif

UTG+1 folds, MP1 raises to 225 and is all-in, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero ???

Final table, standard 2-table payout

My target here is the BTN, if I flat call MP1 I think that the BTN will raise with a huge range and that the SB & BB will fold all but QQ+
Based on hands that BTN has shown down I'd put his range on 66-AA, A7+, KJ+, QJ, JT, T9, 98, 87 which puts me at 55-45 fav.

If BTN doesn't raise I'm OK with playing a pot oop to BTN but in position against blinds if they came along.

Is this a decent spot to trap this aggressive player?

JustRaiseTheBlinds

JustRaiseTheBlinds

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think flat call the ai is ok here, also if you think the BTN could make a move...

You tough it out very well...;)

W

WossaPotOddz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I woould raise to 800 in the same way I would if I was opening the action. Allowing the small blind in cheap and the big blind to see a free flop is not what you want.....and call a shove obv.

G

gary777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the last thing I want is to let the 2 big stacks in cheaply so they can bust me on a lucky draw. If I raise and they call or raise I know where I stand. If I play slow they have enough to call with ATC.

R

rStormChaser

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd definitely isolate here, with only 18 BB's i wouldn't get too tricky. Raise 600-900 and take it down, the amount of money in the pot already will significantly increase your stack, no use trying to trap as it may backfire and cost you chips.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd definitely isolate here, with only 18 BB's i wouldn't get too tricky. Raise 600-900 and take it down, the amount of money in the pot already will significantly increase your stack, no use trying to trap as it may backfire and cost you chips.

^^^Agree. I don't want others in this pot if I can help it.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i concur...never a time to take it slow unless ya got the absolute nutz
i hate when a good plan backfires

X

Xaras23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
make a raise to 800 or 900! you have a strong hand! and push all in if necessary!

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you believe that he will do that then this is the time to get him if you can. Flatting and shoving over would be my choice here. 55-45 is good enough for me in this spot.

W

WossaPotOddz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You only want to flat if you think the villain will think he has some sort of fold equity.

Any hand he chooses to shove with he will 3bet shove with at this stage in the tournament. Raising is the only logical play here.

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would call..
BUT!
if he doesnt raise u giving people an open door to suck out if they limp with 27 or 23 or 56 so id call ..
but if he doesnt raise and no ak on flop id call min bet but fold anything more..
esp if thers alot of people in the hand..
usually backfires on me btw

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You only want to flat if you think the villain will think he has some sort of fold equity.

Any hand he chooses to shove with he will 3bet shove with at this stage in the tournament. Raising is the only logical play here.

Really?? You think he'd 3-bet shove with the lower half of the range that I put him on to begin with (A7-AT, KJ, QJ, JT, T9, 98, 87)?

W

WossaPotOddz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, at least make it 600 to make him think he's got some sort of fold equity. Trying to get tricky and clever will end up biting you in the ass a lot. Just raise to isolate.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would raise 3X-4X the BB. With that much range for BTN, you don't want to give him any reason to get involved. Also, not only do you collect some blinds, you knock out another player.

BTW, if you do raise and then he re-raises, what do you put him on?

-Dave

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would raise 3X-4X the BB. With that much range for BTN, you don't want to give him any reason to get involved. Also, not only do you collect some blinds, you knock out another player.

BTW, if you do raise and then he re-raises, what do you put him on?

-Dave

I posted the range I put him on if I flat called and he shoved. With the AI already my previous betting pattern would mean I'd ahev to raise to 1000 to make it look 'normal' and if the BTN then shoved I'd put his range on AQ+, JJ+ which would put us at 50-50 so I'd be giving up 5% in equity by raising.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
which would put us at 50-50 so I'd be giving up 5% in equity by raising.

Well, that's one way to look at it. But another is that while you give up 5% equity in cases like that, you also reduce a boatload of risk by him not playing the hand at all. And the only way to do that is with a raise. If you flat call and he calls with any pocket pair or even suited connectors, you could be in a world of hurt.

I know what you mean about trying to trap players like that, but AK can be a rough trapping hand. The power of AK is, in my opinion, all preflop.

So, how did the hand turn out? Are you going to post the results soon? :)

-Dave

I

Im_depressed

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I raise to 800. It's an $11 18 man, there is no need to try and get tricky... Obviously get it all in if possible.

W

WossaPotOddz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd ahev to raise to 1000 to make it look 'normal' and if the BTN then shoved I'd put his range on AQ+, JJ+ which would put us at 50-50 so I'd be giving up 5% in equity by raising.

You wouldn't have to raise to 1000, and that range is way too tight. Villiain has an M of only 4, he's going with loads of aces, big kings and probably any pair.

Also....if you are losing equity by raising (which you deefinately aren't)...then you gain it by not letting both the small and big blinds in for cheap.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I kinda like the idea of trapping him seeing as he's an laggy-spew-tard.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So, how did the hand turn out? Are you going to post the results soon? :)

We all know that results don't matter :D but since you asked nicely.

I flat called, BTN shoved AI, SB & BB folded

I hit an Ace on the flop and BTN missed a 4 for a set, so I scooped both pots as MP1 had QJs.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a jam and its not even close.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We all know that results don't matter

LOL! Yeah, and we could all have just as much fun using play chips, right? :)

but since you asked nicely.

Oh, thank goodness! :)

I hit an Ace on the flop and BTN missed a 4 for a set, so I scooped both pots as MP1 had QJs.

Sweet! Way to go! So you got your trap. And then some. QJs? Wow, some people really go for it, don't they?

Do you recall what BTN had? That's what I was curious about. What kind of hands (this one especially) was he pushing his way around with?

Nicely played. When you're at the table, you definitely get a better read of the players than you do reading about it after the fact.

Thanks for sharing. It was a fun one to go over. Especially since you did share the final results. Not that it mattered or anything. ;)

-Dave

Mortis

Mortis

Skeleton Crew
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If the results were posted, I haven't read them.

I would have raised to about 600-800, so as not to allow the BB to get in so cheaply. With me not knowing how each player played, that's what I would have worried about.

Now, since you said that the BTN has been aggressive, it does put you in a slight bind, because the BB is the chip leader at the table. I would probably still raise about 3-4x BB or the 3-4x the all-in "raise".. though, this would not be an easy decision.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll take Reading Comprehension for $200 please Alex. :D :D

And I'll take Sarcasm for $400! :)

For some reason, "BTN had 44" is so much more clear to me than "BTN missed a 4 for a set". So, just to make sure that I have the lingo down, is a "set" two of a kind or three of a kind? I use the terms "pair" and "trips". I have heard "set" before, I just can't remember what it refers to.

So, he shoved with 44? Getting back to the orignial question, I still like a 3X-4X BB raise better than a flat call. With a raise like that, in response he shouldn't shove or even call with his hand. And I don't really feel like AK vs 44 is a "trap". More of a coin toss, don't you think?

-Dave