$11 NL HE MTT: The least loss. Would you play aggressively or find a way to fold?

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Currency
$
Another one of the hands I played in a long tournament. J6 is on the big blind against the button. I was thinking of turning my hand into a bluff on the turn, but it seemed to me that the opponent was betting with a flush draw or a straight draw on the flop. Pay attention to the size of the villain's bet on the river. Would you play aggressively or find a way to fold?

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/3q288adw

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not getting it... he was trapping, you've lost minimum, what's the point of the question? fold/call or raise him on the river - is that what you're asking? It's difficult to say without any information about that player and your position in the tournament, being really deep and against slowplaying opponent I would fold J6 on the flop, but against some loose calling station who likes to limp any hand i would go all-in on the flop. But again it also depends on your position in the tourney

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre: I would just check here as well. I would be thinking if I have seen villain just limp the button before. If not then I would be on alert as they are the big stack and should be raising here on the button when folded to very wide so just limping here (assuming they rarely limp on the button or other times) would concern me.

Flop: Depending on the limp tendencies of villain as noted above I would bet for value here as there could be some floats as well flush draws that will call. Depends on villain too as to how agg they are as we better know what we are doing should we get raised... (depends again on villains limp tendencies but we are 20 BBs to start the hand and not sure where we are relative to bubble, other stacks in tourney, etc.). When we check here then there will be a lot of check behinds and then a turn card that we dont like where we can get outplayed based on stacks. If we get raised and choose to fold then we found earlier rather than later that we were potentially setup. As played I would just call I guess but the bet sizing is weird so not really sure what to think yet but would feel like I am ahead more often than not. I would think in game this sizing is what flush draws could do to control the hand and have you more than likely check to them on the turn.

Turn: Hand varies a lot depending on how you play flop but as played we have check to villain. When they check behind I would be relieved more than anything but would still be cautious as I only have 6x and a draw so really just trying to get to showdown at this point with how we played the hand.

River: Flush comes in and I think with the way the villain played betting small on flop and checking behind turn that they usually would not have much here and therefore would not call a bet we could make so I think I would just check here and see if they bluff. Villain bets small (a big mistake imo as they should bet more here hoping you have a diamond since if you dont have a diamond you arent calling anything anyway and with a diamond you would call off much more than 25% pot) and the same reason why I am not leading river is the same reason why I would not raise river so I would just call honestly expecting to be ahead. Villain could have got so much more out of us and I guess they would have if you played the hand with my flop thoughts so you got away here relatively unscathed.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A good trap on his part, I would always be wary on a suited board especially if there were 4 suited cards on the table, I have on occasions called bets on such a board with none of the suit in my hand, simply because of the actions of my opponent before the River.
Playing a 3 handed game I was dealt Ace/10 of Hearts on the BB and faced a 2X raise from the Hi-jack, the Button called as I did, the Flop dropped A,10, 7, all Spades I checked my 2 pair, the Hi-jack bet out 200, the button called and I called, thinking I could make a Full house even if he had already made his flush, The Turn was a red brick so I checked again, The Hi-jack bet 200 again called by the Button and myself, Then disaster struck a 4th Spade on the River!
Instantly I thought I had to fold if anyone bets at this, so I checked and the Hi-jack bet 600, The Button now folded and my cards were almost in the air when I stopped, I looked at the other player and said "I don't have a Spade, but I do have a hand," I re-run the action in my head, all the time studying the other player, and thought wouldn't he have made a bigger bet if he had the Flush?
After a few seconds I called showing my 2 pair, he mucked and the Button player was gobsmacked, he had folded the 2 of Spades thinking any other Spade would beat him. Call it Luck or whatever you want, but I still believe I saw something in his eyes while I was watching him.

Poker is so much a Fun Game!:)

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
raise on the flop.
donking on the flop could be fine too if you think he is Ax heavy instead of just half of deck.
on the river just calling too.
Hope this helps and Good Luck!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another one of the hands I played in a long tournament. J6 is on the big blind against the button. I was thinking of turning my hand into a bluff on the turn, but it seemed to me that the opponent was betting with a flush draw or a straight draw on the flop. Pay attention to the size of the villain's bet on the river. Would you play aggressively or find a way to fold?

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/3q288adw
Stopped replayer on the flop no action yet
Do we have a range advantage? Do we have a nut advantage? Would this V limp pairs 77-AA?
Does our SPR influence the limp not open range? If yes what hands want to see a flop vs a wide open BB range at this stack depth?
WE want to lead some flops is this a good flop for BB to lead with range? What about this hand specifically?

V min bets----is this hand strong enough to see most turn cards or would we want to clarify our hand now?
U call ----
turn your equity improves how likely is the V to have limped a Kx hand? Do we lead sometimes?
check check turn Would our V check back better flush draws?
River 4 card flush? Can we check raise easily here or would lead be better? Will the V have any bluffs when they check turn? What will they bet for value on a 4 card flush board?

Wow --- nut flush checks the turn and then min+ the river great for you-

Is this common in your player pool? Are your V only betting made hands and high equity hands on connected boards? If so then we are leading more than checking to get folds if they fold? If no folding- check folding the turn is fine if they bet.
You might choose to fold the river as the J high flush was the 4th best flush here.
You seem to imply that you had a very strong feeling that the V has this very hand- trust your read and fold is ok at this stack depth vs this player type

:unsure::geek:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
No need to raise junk, when you can see a free flop.

Flop
You flopped top pair on an extremely dynamic board, and I much prefer to lead out here. My main goal is to just end the hand right now. The reason for that is, there are literally no cards in the deck, that are not bad for you, other than exactly a J or 6, which would give you two pair or trips. Everything else will either make trips possible, put a 1-liner to a straight, or reduce your top pair to second pair. And you are going to be out of position on future streets. So nothing good can come from letting him see another card, and this is why, protection is the absolutely main consideration here.

Its also worth noting, that leading here is NOT a donk bet, since he did not raise preflop. And for the same reason its highly unlikely, he has an overpair, because why on earth would anyone in their right mind limp BTN with 77-AA? That makes no sense what so ever, so while not completely impossible, we can weigh those hands down a lot. Which mean, that your 66 is close to the nuts right now, but will get a lot worse on future streets, if you let him continue.

Turn
You talk about turning your hand into a bluff, and this makes no sense what so ever. To do that, you would need to assume, that his range is mostly made up of hands, you lose to, and that would also fold to a donk bet now. And this is just not the case, because such hands would mostly be 77-QQ, and as I already said, he hardly ever has that, because he just limped preflop. What he has is complete air, that was trying to make you fold on the flop. Or hands that just improved to top pair or a flush, and those hands are not going to fold. So the only play, which makes sense now, is to check again and call most bets, since you have a diamond in your hand. But he checks back, so there is no decision for you to make.

River
You make a J high flush, and while you could lose to A or K of diamonds, or to 43 of diamonds, those hands are somewhat unlikely, when he checked back the turn. So I think, your hand is good enough to put out a small bet for value trying to get called by basically any kind of bluffcatcher. As played you have an easy call, when he makes a small bet.

Results
The hand is a bit of a cooler, but what is way more important is to play spots like this more aggressively. There is no such thing in poker as "respecting the limp" or "checking to the preflop limper" :)

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I chose this hand for a reason. Many different solutions came to my mind during the game. The villain can have any two cards. And I'm happy to go to the flop, and even catch the top pair. The SPR is approximately equal to 5. If the opponent raises the preflop, he gets only the blinds. If I raise the preflop, it will lead to trouble. Because the chipleader will still see the flop whenever he wants.
The flop is good. I thought I was ahead. However, the Cardschat odds calculator shows the villain's hand 49.8% vs my hand 49.2%. No advantage on any of the streets. For some reason, I didn't defend a pair of sixes. There is a small chance that the turn 6J will improve. But when I bet or raise on the flop, then I don't want to get a raise from the villain. Any card of diamonds on the turn chains me to the board in anticipation of a dead flush on the river. Since I did not place a bet, the opponent who received the nuts understands that his bet can scare me off. The participants of the tournament often changed places at the tables. So I can't say anything about player pool.
It's time to get value on the last street. I also had to think for a long time and give this right to my opponent. The bet on the river was so attractive. It was like she was shouting, "Make a call or raise.":D

Folding in Poker