No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Game Options
  1. Bounty
Currency
$
This is hand no.6 on this $11 PKO tournament ( New Year Series ), so I don't have much info on the players.

Do you guys think that I should have checked the turn? What about the river, as played until then should my bet be bigger, I believed that Jx hands could be in his range.

pokerstars, $9.80 + $1.20 - Hold'em No Limit - 100/200 (25 ante) - 5 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG (Hero): 25,945 (130 bb)
CO: 46,696 (233 bb)
BU: 23,225 (116 bb)
SB: 21,871 (109 bb)
BB: 23,055 (115 bb)

Pre-Flop:
(425) Hero is UTG with 6 A
Hero raises to 500, 3 players fold, BB calls 300

Flop: (1,225) 7 T 9 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 600, BB calls 600

Turn: (2,425) 9 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 1,188, BB calls 1,188

River: (4,801) 8 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 1,248, BB calls 1,248

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open and no need to repeat the discussion about open sizing when deep.

Flop
This is a very coordinated flop, which is better for his range than yours, and therefore the GTO strategy is to C-bet at a low frequenzy. This hand did connect a little bit, but other than backdoor clubs you have a very bad draw. An 8 will give you a straight, but any J will make a higher straight, and he could already have a straight with J8 or 86. So I would check back here and try to get to a cheap showdown.

Turn
You picked up a flushdraw, but a paired board is bad for draws, and he have much more 9X in his range, than you do. So as played I probably also check back now.

River
You made the straight, but as already discussed any J has a higher straight, and its also a paired board, meaning that boats are possible. So I actually think, its a bit thin to bet for value here. But if you are going to do it, I like, that you picked a small sizing, which might make a T or 9 curious enough to call.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty much echo Fundiver here although I will add that for pre flop assuming 5 handed plays like 6 handed which I wouldnt see why it wouldnt in this regard you are going to see a lot more 3 bets so I would be prepared for what I am doing against those 3 bets and how I plan to attack the hand should it happen. You might already be doing this but thought I would mention it and the 3 bet frequency I believe you see in these games.

Flop to me is a no brainer check for exactly what is written above. These connected mid card and low card boards smack a defender's range and usually dont hit you the openers unless you have suited connectors or just nailed a set. Therefore, when we bet here good players can check raise us here with a lot of stuff and we have to tend to believe them so I really like checking this and seeing what happens. We also have ace high for showdown value so there is no need to try to bluff into somebody with some showdown value on a board that favors them.

Turn: As played I also believe its a check but even if we checked the flop I think its still a check back. The board pairing here takes away a set we could have in the mind of our opponent. We picked up equity and we still have the showdown value with the ace which is looking a little better with the board pairing so I check here and take the free card whether we were to bet the flop or check the flop.

River is harder here since we did not check a street and bet both streets. Villain could easily check assuming we will keep barreling away but they could also have a one pair hand that we beat and could potentially call although unlikely. If we had played the hand differently I think I would bet the river here small as you did but that we already bet two streets and got called I think I would be happy with that and check back knowing that we already got two streets. We couldnt call a raise if we face one and there are not a ton of hands that villain will have that will call 3 streets here (although, again its possible) that we beat so I think as played checking the river is better here as mentioned by Fundiver.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
GOOD QUESTION

Lets break this shhit down like nobodys business

Lets start with his range
We are 100+ BBs deep
So his Range is almost anything
But what it cannot be is ...........aces kings queens jacks 10's KQs
Some frequency of AK AQ AJ also rule themselves out here becuase they would never flat here preflop

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You raise 3 BB's(half POT) in position Continuation Bet

He calls
Pot is 12 BB's
bc8616ee5b4ea90eb053b71b97652353.png

Turn comes a 9c
Now it gets extensive due to his wide range and deep implied odds of him being against the UTG(hero) that may get overcommitted with JJ's QQ's KK's AA

So what is his range
again its easier to figure out what IS NOT in his range rather than what is in his range
He doesn't Have a set
He doesnt have top pair no back draw, he may have top pair plus backdraw10J J8
He doesnt have 2 pair
ALL those hand checkraise you with an almost 100% frequency
The BEST part about this new way GTO plays is that we cannot rule out J5 95 J7 or even a 35s float to bluff the river

So lets kepp going down the infinite range

and yes definitley bet the turn and think about which of his range would fold out to which sizings

more of his range is weak than strong SO BET

I like 3/4 [pot}
or checking the turn with the intention to bluff the river, even better if its a REBLUFF!

Last edited:
AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
and now the River is the 8d

So what do we FEEL like we know at this point

He is on a draw
Most his range is draw heavy and he has shown us he doesn't have anything good

CORRECT?
MABEY
OR?????
IDFK

He has decided to flat call you down with ???

07332662928d22be7d92da3dc71b1b11.png

top pair with draw J improves q10 does not

second pair which turned into trips and could still be flatting you(take him to value town)(or yourself if it is 98 109 )

bottom pair 7's, just being a calling station but if he has 67 79 or 7J lol HAAA it improved

BUT DUE TO HOW MANY COMBOS HIS RANGE ULTIMATLEY HAS IN IT AND WILL CONTINUE TO CALL

this is a great hand to get value out of

I'd bet anywhere from 1/2 to 2x pot on the river
Depending on your feel of what he has and how sticky he has been playing(VPP for you hud nerds)

Last edited:
AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it just feels good doesn't it
Good spot to know your way around\\\

Now look at it from the other side a bit

He never ruled out you don't have aces kings queens

so if he did hit two pair or trips he might min raise+ the river for VALUE against such a small half pot river bet that looks like what AA KK QQ would do to be honest

So if we bet anything less than 3/4 on the river he is going to check raise with a higher frequency with two pair+

Sooooooooo what do you think that means

think on the that for 5minutes poker gets FUN

Last edited:
mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
and now the River is the 8d

So what do we FEEL like we know at this point

He is on a draw
Most his range is draw heavy and he has shown us he doesn't have anything good

CORRECT?
MABEY
OR?????
IDFK

He has decided to flat call you down with ???

07332662928d22be7d92da3dc71b1b11.png

top pair with draw J improves q10 does not

second pair which turned into trips and could still be flatting you(take him to value town)(or yourself if it is 98 109 )

bottom pair 7's, just being a calling station but if he has 67 79 or 7J lol HAAA it improved

BUT DUE TO HOW MANY COMBOS HIS RANGE ULTIMATLEY HAS IN IT AND WILL CONTINUE TO CALL

this is a great hand to get value out of

I'd bet anywhere from 1/2 to 2x pot on the river
Depending on your feel of what he has and how sticky he has been playing(VPP for you hud nerds)

it just feels good doesn't it
Good spot to know your way around\\\

Now look at it from the other side a bit

He never ruled out you don't have aces kings queens

so if he did hit two pair or trips he might min raise+ the river for VALUE against such a small half pot river bet that looks like what AA KK QQ would do to be honest

So if we bet anything less than 3/4 on the river he is going to check raise with a higher frequency with two pair+

Sooooooooo what do you think that means

think on the that for 5minutes poker gets FUN

Yes it does get FUN :)

Here is the full hand.

PokerStars, $9.80 + $1.20 - Hold'em No Limit - 100/200 (25 ante) - 5 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG (Hero): 25,945 (130 bb)
CO: 46,696 (233 bb)
BU: 23,225 (116 bb)
SB: 21,871 (109 bb)
BB: 23,055 (115 bb)

Pre-Flop:
(425) Hero is UTG with 6 A
Hero raises to 500, 3 players fold, BB calls 300

Flop: (1,225) 7 T 9 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 600, BB calls 600

Turn: (2,425) 9 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 1,188, BB calls 1,188

River: (4,801) 8 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 1,248, BB calls 1,248

Total pot: 7,297

Showdown:
UTG (Hero) shows 6 A (a straight, Six to Ten)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 56%, Flop: 24%, Turn: 30%, River: 100%)

BB mucks T 8 (two pair, Tens and Nines)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 44%, Flop: 76%, Turn: 70%, River: 0%)

UTG (Hero) wins 7,297

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So you did in fact get thin value on the river, but that does still not change my opinion about basically any street. You likely also got a little lucky here to run into a counterfeited two pair hand, because this is a hand type, some people will misread and overvalue. Actually counterfeited two pair is a hand type, which is ideal not to call a river bet but to put in a raise as a bluff, since they block a lot of full houses. But fortunately for you the opponent was not advanced enough to think on this level ;)