$11 Negreanu Open Tournament 54 left out of 121

brutus

brutus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how do you play this one:confused:

pokerstars Game #14778658466: Tournament #71969160, $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2008/01/23 - 22:27:02 (ET)
Table '71969160 10' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: AHighwayStar (11561 in chips)
Seat 2: Lester08 (4600 in chips) out of hand (moved from another table into small blind)
Seat 3: wally1012 (4180 in chips)
Seat 4: Ouch-8s (3635 in chips)
Seat 5: BunnyRocks (1370 in chips)
Seat 6: GWCGWC (3850 in chips)
Seat 7: brutus34 (2345 in chips)
Seat 9: rivergirl (4650 in chips)
wally1012: posts small blind 100
Ouch-8s: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to brutus34 [3s 3h]
BunnyRocks: folds
GWCGWC: folds
brutus34: calls 200
rivergirl: folds
AHighwayStar: folds
AHighwayStar said, "I like my BB"
wally1012: folds
Ouch-8s: raises 400 to 600
brutus34: calls 400
*** FLOP *** [5d 6s As]
Ouch-8s: checks
brutus34: checks
*** TURN *** [5d 6s As] [4d]
Ouch-8s: bets 800
AHighwayStar said, "too much"
brutus34: :confused:

oh yeah and the top 18 get paid chip average is around 6500-7000

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Ew. I think you have to fold here. Do you really want to risk your tournament life with this hand?

CubanaD64

CubanaD64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, you can definitely wait for a better spot although it looks like villain has something like KQ as is making a move at the pot. It's extremely unlikely that he would check the flop with two spades and a potential (yet unlikely) straight draw if he had paired the ace, and it's unlikely that he raised you with any of those rags rather than just take a free flop. In either case, however, you cannot call here, you have an underpair to the flop and a draw to the idiot end of a straight. Just throw your hand away, you have about 8 BB left, calling would commit you to the pot and you can save your chips to push and attempt to steal the blinds or get in the pot with a better chance of winning than here.

brutus

brutus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ew. I think you have to fold here. Do you really want to risk your tournament life with this hand?

not really but i got soooooo many outs,

Yea, you can definitely wait for a better spot although it looks like villain has something like KQ as is making a move at the pot. It's extremely unlikely that he would check the flop with two spades and a potential (yet unlikely) straight draw if he had paired the ace, and it's unlikely that he raised you with any of those rags rather than just take a free flop. In either case, however, you cannot call here, you have an underpair to the flop and a draw to the idiot end of a straight. Just throw your hand away, you have about 8 BB left, calling would commit you to the pot and you can save your chips to push and attempt to steal the blinds or get in the pot with a better chance of winning than here

my thinkinig pretty much exactly, an ace isnt going to check this flop with the possible draws out there and a flush draw would make a bet so if he's trying to buy the pot then maybe just maybe if i push i can get a fold???

CubanaD64

CubanaD64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not really but i got soooooo many outs,

my thinkinig pretty much exactly, an ace isnt going to check this flop with the possible draws out there and a flush draw would make a bet so if he's trying to buy the pot then maybe just maybe if i push i can get a fold???

Well, yes and no. One important piece of information that I really need to know to give you an accurate assessment of this situation is how does this guy play? What does he generally raise PF with, especially from the BB? If he's a solid, standard TAG player, then yes, a push seems to be the right play. However, most people do not play like that and he could easily have something like K5s. If this is the case, he may have been trying to steal the pot from you before the flop and is now trying to steal when you've shown weakness. A push against this type of player will probably get a call, albeit a crying call.

brutus

brutus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sorry didnt include that everyone is playing pretty tight, a few recent hands have been folded around. honestly i was reading posts and couldnt tell you what he's been raising with and such. there hasnt been any unusual plays though, its been pretty standard play from everyone

CubanaD64

CubanaD64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sorry didnt include that everyone is playing pretty tight, a few recent hands have been folded around. honestly i was reading posts and couldnt tell you what he's been raising with and such. there hasnt been any unusual plays though, its been pretty standard play from everyone
In this case it's a close decision and essentially, you can only beat a bluff. Calling is completely out of the question and a push is incredibly risky because you have very little fold equity and will get called by a huge range of hands. Most likely he has something like KQ suited and a push would be the right move. It's also the correct move here because the blinds are so high relative to your stack that you absolutely need to accumulate chips. The only worry you should have is if he carries a pair like nines or tens where he may have been scared of the ace. In this case, you're in deep trouble. This could go either way, you could play it safe and fold to look for a better chance to double up or you can gamble right here. Either move, fold or push (not call!), can be justified given the awkward stack sizes and this particular stage of the tournament.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't but it is a shot , you already got good money in and have to shove soon but I think he has to call a shove here unless completely bluffing . I would have folded PF to the raise .

CubanaD64

CubanaD64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't but it is a shot , you already got good money in and have to shove soon but I think he has to call a shove here unless completely bluffing . I would have folded PF to the raise .

Agreed, I got so caught up with the post flop play that I completely forgot about your preflop call. You do NOT want to be calling 3xBB bets preflop with a small PP. It's a standard fold preflop. The implied odds weren't even big enough to justify it due to the size of your stack.

brutus

brutus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
almost 3:1 isnt good enough to see a flop already having the 200 in it?

brutus

brutus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
brutus34: raises 945 to 1745 and is all-in
Ouch-8s: calls 945
*** RIVER *** [5d 6s As 4d] 2♠
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Ouch-8s: shows [Ad Kd] (a pair of Aces)
brutus34: shows [3s 3h] (a straight, Deuce to Six)
brutus34 collected 4790 from pot
Ouch-8s said, "ewwwwwww"

i thought for sure he didnt have the ace and bout chit when he flipped over AK. why would he check that flop with AK. needless to say he wasnt real happy with me, he just said nh but i could tell by the way he said it lol. i asked myself what would Yang do and it was awwwwwwww eeeeeeeen. felt pretty good being on the donkey side of the fence for once.:D

CubanaD64

CubanaD64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lmao nice hand, villain made a -EV play by checking on the flop with that drawy board. You still have to understand that it's about 8 to 1 odds against flopping a set and you weren't getting that in immediate pot odds. The stacks were so small that you couldn't factor in implied odds. In either case, the push was justified because villain should not have checked AK on the flop.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
brutus34: raises 945 to 1745 and is all-in
Ouch-8s: calls 945
*** RIVER *** [5d 6s As 4d] 2♠
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Ouch-8s: shows [Ad Kd] (a pair of Aces)
brutus34: shows [3s 3h] (a straight, Deuce to Six)
brutus34 collected 4790 from pot
Ouch-8s said, "ewwwwwww"
. needless to say he wasnt real happy with me, he just said nh but i could tell by the way he said it lol.

Actually, he was disgusted.

brutus

brutus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i wanted to get some opinions because i wasnt sure how big of a "homer"(my new substitute for donkey:p ) move it was. felt it was a proper move but still had that im a homer feeling in my stomach.

made it to the final table and down to the final 6 and screwed myself. in short i was about 4th in chips i believe and had KK in the SB and with the chip leader in the BB, thought id be slick and just mini raise and he called and the flop was sumthin, Q, sumthin. i bet, he reraises me all in, i call and he flips over Q8. the turn was blank and of course the 8 came on the river. :rolleyes:

CubanaD64

CubanaD64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i wanted to get some opinions because i wasnt sure how big of a "homer"(my new substitute for donkey:p ) move it was. felt it was a proper move but still had that im a homer feeling in my stomach.

made it to the final table and down to the final 6 and screwed myself. in short i was about 4th in chips i believe and had KK in the SB and with the chip leader in the BB, thought id be slick and just mini raise and he called and the flop was sumthin, Q, sumthin. i bet, he reraises me all in, i call and he flips over Q8. the turn was blank and of course the 8 came on the river. :rolleyes:

Na, you played that hand just fine, the river was just incredibly unlucky :p

heatfan03

heatfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u had 10 outs I am prety sure here so that means you will win this 1 out of 5 times.

I am too lazy to do the pot odds but something like 2.5 to 1 to call so there was not justification but 20% isn't a bad percentage for making a hand and making the money in the tourney and you were low stacked so good call.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Either re raise all in pre flop or fold it. You dont have enough of a stack to be calling that raise looking for set odds i dont think. Im not sure on the odds of that, but i dont think you were getting them, so you may aswell have pushed pre flop

B

baconn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are way behind in this hand, fold. Not sure if you want to gamble for a straight which might not even be good.

pokerace3454

pokerace3454

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have 11 big blinds you have to go all in