$109 NLHE MTT: Flush J high 100 bb

B

Boo02

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 27/27/5

He was catched two times with hands like medium pair + gutshot after similar line. I was hope that he has two pairs or street.

I never showed bluff, after all i think that he can except only flush from me. I waited couple of time with strong hand and just call in situation like this - to catch bluff from opponents. Now I'm almost shure that this raise was a mistake :( But that bounty was so tempting :eek: (basic 25$ but it's nice for me ^^ I'm here just because won a satellite)

pokerstars, $100 + $9 - Hold'em No Limit - 80/160 (16 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 13,123 (82 bb)
UTG+1: 9,020 (56 bb)
MP: 12,204 (76 bb)
MP+1: 12,413 (78 bb)
CO (Hero): 15,547 (97 bb)
BU: 5,344 (33 bb)
SB: 7,045 (44 bb)
BB: 8,581 (54 bb)

Pre-Flop: (368) Hero is CO with 9 J
2 players fold, MP raises to 350, 1 fold, Hero calls 350, 3 players fold

Flop: (1,068) 5 2 8 (2 players)
MP checks, Hero checks

Turn: (1,068) 6 (2 players)
MP checks, Hero bets 534, MP raises to 1,586, Hero calls 1,052

River: (4,240) T (2 players)
MP bets 2,840, Hero raises to 13,595 (all-in), MP calls 7,412 (all-in)

Total pot: 24,744

Showdown:
CO (Hero) shows 9 J (a flush, Jack high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 42%, Flop: 20%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

MP shows A 3 (a flush, Ace high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 58%, Flop: 80%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

MP wins 24,744

S

SharkyShark1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have flatted there in my eyes. The reraise looks really strong in my eyes and with just calling you still would have had a decent stack behind to play the tournament. As you said he guessed you had the flush and you fell for the trap he set with his nut flush. A J high flush is not enough for me to go all-in with, but just to catch a bluff with.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Calling here is kind of borderline and only profitable, if you have a big skill edge postflop. When you satellited in, that is almost certainly not the case, so honestly it would have been much better to just fold and not get involved. J9s look pretty, but if you think about, what an MP opening range look like, its not in great shape against that range, and you have 3 guys left behind, who can squeeze. This mean, that some percentage of the time, when you call here, you dont even get to see the flop. And other times someone else comes along as well, so now you are multiway to it, and its much more difficult to bluff.

Most people would honestly do better, if they just completely stopped calling preflop from any other seat than BB. Not saying, that is optimal strategy, but compared to what most people actually do, it would improve their results. I am harping on about this, because getting involved here put you in a position, where you could make a big mistake later in the hand. If you just fold, everything is very easy, and you dont make any mistakes. Yes I know, folding is boring. Its more fun to get involved and "play". But thats recreational player thinking. And when you qualified for such a high buyin as this, probably you care about making some money at least in this event?

Flop
When he check to you, I would bet my draw as a semi-bluff. This is kind of the whole reason, why we might even consider calling pre with a hand like this. Its not to try to make a flush or straight. Its to have hands, we can bluff with and use our position to make him fold a better hand like A high or K high. Making a flush or straight is only the back-up plan for, when we dont get him to fold.

Turn
You made the flush, and betting now is of course standard, as is calling his raise. However its not like, I would be particularly thrilled about facing this raise, because he is mostly representing a flush, and nearly all flushes beat you. So its more like, you are calling to catch a bluff, and because your hand is to high in your range to fold.

The major factor here is the distribution of flush cards on the board. They are all very low, so all the higher flushcards, the A, K and Q are unspoken for, but he almost cant even have a lower flush. Maybe he can have like exactly 87, but thats probably the only flush combo, thats worse than yours, which he would open from MP. He is not opening T7s, 74s or 43s or anything that junky.

River
Given what I just wrote above, the debate here is between calling and folding, while raising is way to optimistic. Its probably a call, because you are getting an ok price, and your hand is still a bit to high in your range to fold. You beat a bluff, you block some flushes, and maybe once in a blue moon he could have a worse hand like a set or a straigth, that he is kind of overplaying.

Moving all-in is a massive overplay, because even if he does have a worse hand for value, he is probably not going to call. In fact some players would at least consider folding a Q high flush to this action, if they decide to check-raise it on the turn. So by making this move you are taking a quite strong hand and almost turning it into a bluff.

Conclusion
Frankly you got taken to school here by someone, who is likely a much more experienced player than you. But thats ok. The important is to learn from the mistakes, we make, so that hopefully we dont make them again or at least not to often. So let this hand be a learning experience for you, and hopefully my review of it can help a bit as well :)

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 27/27/5

He was catched two times with hands like medium pair + gutshot after similar line. I was hope that he has two pairs or street.

I never showed bluff, after all i think that he can except only flush from me. I waited couple of time with strong hand and just call in situation like this - to catch bluff from opponents. Now I'm almost shure that this raise was a mistake :( But that bounty was so tempting :eek: (basic 25$ but it's nice for me ^^ I'm here just because won a satellite)

PokerStars, $100 + $9 - Hold'em No Limit - 80/160 (16 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 13,123 (82 bb)
UTG+1: 9,020 (56 bb)
MP: 12,204 (76 bb)
MP+1: 12,413 (78 bb)
CO (Hero): 15,547 (97 bb)
BU: 5,344 (33 bb)
SB: 7,045 (44 bb)
BB: 8,581 (54 bb)

Pre-Flop: (368) Hero is CO with 9 J
2 players fold, MP raises to 350, 1 fold, Hero calls 350, 3 players fold

Flop: (1,068) 5 2 8 (2 players)
MP checks, Hero checks

Turn: (1,068) 6 (2 players)
MP checks, Hero bets 534, MP raises to 1,586, Hero calls 1,052

River: (4,240) T (2 players)
MP bets 2,840, Hero raises to 13,595 (all-in), MP calls 7,412 (all-in)

Total pot: 24,744

Showdown:
CO (Hero) shows 9 J (a flush, Jack high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 42%, Flop: 20%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

MP shows A 3 (a flush, Ace high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 58%, Flop: 80%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

MP wins 24,744

pre flop snap folding J9s vs mp raise

when opp re raise you on the turn there is no point in rejamming the river because he already showed that he is not afraid of your hand even though you called his re raise on the turn, that's the clue, you only have J high flush not the stone cold nuts

B

Boo02

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
Calling here is kind of borderline and only profitable, if you have a big skill edge postflop. When you satellited in, that is almost certainly not the case
:eek::(:(

Last weeks I started to play more hands, and it's works but in lower BI ^^ At this lvl i should have gone back to basics.

What kind of game is the best to training post-flop? I started thinking about Limit-Holdem. Maybe one time per week.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Last weeks I started to play more hands, and it's works but in lower BI ^^ At this lvl i should have gone back to basics.

That would probably have been a good idea. However with that being said flush over flush is a bit of a cooler, and the only really big mistake in the hand is raising the river. This is where, you completely midjudged the strenght of your hand, and what his range realistically looks like. This opponent is not some crazy maniac playing a freeroll friday night after visiting the pub. From his HUD-stats this player is a LAG, and given the buyin most likely a mid or high stakes MTT regular, who is either a full time or part-time professional.

I think, its great, you shared this hand, because it illustrate the main problem with suited connectors, which is, they often make a good but still second best hand. So you need to be very good at postflop to profitably play these hands, and in reality they are mostly played for things like balance and board coverage. Few if any people actually make money with suited connectors, although J9s is so top side, it might be a bit different. But even so a J high flush is not the nuts, as this hand perfectly illustrate :)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Moving all-in is a massive overplay, because even if he does have a worse hand for value, he is probably not going to call. In fact some players would at least consider folding a Q high flush to this action, if they decide to check-raise it on the turn. So by making this move you are taking a quite strong hand and almost turning it into a bluff.

This is the big key to this hand. I like all of fudivers analysis on this hand. In going through the replayer step by step the river jumps out at you that while in the moment you might not see but in taking time and thinking through the hand it is easy to see. You must take your time on river decisions and ask yourself the simple question, "If I am ahead here will villain call with worse?". If the answer to that is a strong no or even a most likely no then you are usually better off calling or checking back the river unless of course you have the nuts.

In this spot we can easily know we are not getting called (given we jam) by sets or even a disguised straight here. Villain then is only left with flushes that they would call a raise with. Fundiver correctly pointed out that board is full of low spades so that does not bode well for our flush. This is a spot where once we see nothing worse will call we then make a decision between calling and folding and to me, just as Fundiver said, I would not be high fiving people making this call but it is a somewhat clear call to me.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t think you get called by many hands there. Opponent most likely has bluffs or calls with a better flush. T7 is the best flush that you’re winning against but that’s pretty much it. All other streets seems standard.

Full Flush Poker