Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early to mid live MTT, Hero fairly new to the table

BTN: 45BB, previously 3bet with JTs IP against UTG open and MP caller. so perhaps more LAG
SB(Hero): 25BB, previously shove with AK <15BB against UTG open and MP caller and won.
BB: <10BB No info

BTN raised to 2.75BB. SB (Hero) dealt with :qc4::qh4:.and re-raised to 12.5BB.
BB folded. BTN tanked for 2 mins and called.

Flop: (Pot size 27BB) :ad4::5d4::10s4:

SB all in and BTN called.

I made the mistake raising too large pre-flop without realizing my stack was just 25BB and villain would likely call my raise with JJ+ or AK.

How would you play this hand?

Now I think I should have only raised to 8BB, ready to call villain 4bet shove or bet 5BB on that flop if villain called, and prepared to check/fold if villain called.

I

ibetmyho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have raised it far too big but if villain is still willing to call then its great for us.
Raising from the bb with 25 is going to look super strong regardless. I think shoving pre is an option to balance when you want to shove weaker hands but also because you will get looked up with a ton of worse hands. Raising smaller would also be fine.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I agree the raise pre flop is to big. The problem is that a 3 bet also puts a lot of your stack into play pre flop. My mentor once said if you are going to put 30% of your stack in you should just shove. I think i would have made it 8BB and c bet about 8 on the flop. It he then raised or called you would still have 11 BB left and still would have some fold equity for the next hand. Tough spot here for sure.

M

Mepper95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have probably just shoved this pre as making any decently sized reraise would make you pot committed. A min raise wouldn't be ideal, as you give villain too great odds to continue OOP with any suited broadway combination or worse if he's LAG.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah pre is a pretty sizable mistake imo. We should go much smaller pre, or just jam.

That being said, is the flop A high? The Ad doesn't show when you use the 4 color deck so I can't see it but I assume that's the missing card.

I kind of assume in a live $100 MTT that people have worse cards here than JJ+ and AK so I'm just jamming flop. The problem when we size this way pre is we create an SPR of like 0.5 and we are almost making a mistake no matter what we do on this board type. But I would jam and frankly kind of hope to just get a fold. This is often a spot where we are only called when beat but check/calling is a little gross because I don't think our opponents have anywhere enough bluffs here.

Check/folding might even be correct but I hate it so I usually just end up jamming and winning the pot at least half the time. :D

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SPR raises its ugly head.

Yeah pre is a pretty sizable mistake imo. We should go much smaller pre, or just jam.

That being said, is the flop A high? The Ad doesn't show when you use the 4 color deck so I can't see it but I assume that's the missing card.

I kind of assume in a live $100 MTT that people have worse cards here than JJ+ and AK so I'm just jamming flop. The problem when we size this way pre is we create an SPR of like 0.5 and we are almost making a mistake no matter what we do on this board type. But I would jam and frankly kind of hope to just get a fold. This is often a spot where we are only called when beat but check/calling is a little gross because I don't think our opponents have anywhere enough bluffs here.

Check/folding might even be correct but I hate it so I usually just end up jamming and winning the pot at least half the time. :D

I agree with just about everything Scourrge wrote. A 25BB stack is hard to play preflop out of position. Folding is worse than 3 betting, but I think a call might be in order, with a check shove to a C-bet to any non K or A hand . That puts Villain to the bad SPR test. It is weak, in that you'll see an ace or king on the flop about half of the time and you have already decided to fold to an over card on the flop. If Hero shoves pre-flop, he is only getting called by AA, KK, & AK, so I don't like the risk to reward.

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early to mid live MTT, Hero fairly new to the table

BTN: 45BB, previously 3bet with JTs IP against UTG open and MP caller. so perhaps more LAG
SB(Hero): 25BB, previously shove with AK <15BB against UTG open and MP caller and won.
BB: <10BB No info

BTN raised to 2.75BB. SB (Hero) dealt with :qc4::qh4:.and re-raised to 12.5BB.
BB folded. BTN tanked for 2 mins and called.

Flop: (Pot size 27BB) :ad4::5d4::10s4:

SB all in and BTN called.

I made the mistake raising too large pre-flop without realizing my stack was just 25BB and villain would likely call my raise with JJ+ or AK.

How would you play this hand?

Now I think I should have only raised to 8BB, ready to call villain 4bet shove or bet 5BB on that flop if villain called, and prepared to check/fold if villain called.

Very unlucky situation. You made yourself commited when re-raised so much before flop. Yeah I think a lower raise (around 6 BB) would be ok.