$100 NLHE MTT: KK facing action oop

N

Narcotic35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Relatively early in a MTT satellite, hero has been playing TAG, always showing strong and winning hands so far.
Villain (49 BB) seems to play loose passive, limps often, has previously called with marginal hands.

Hero (56BB) open raises to 3BB with Kh Kc from UTG+1.

Fold, call, call, villain calls, rest fold.

Flop comes 9s Ad Kd (11BB)

Hero bets 12BB

Fold, fold, villain min-raises to 24BB

Hero goes all in, villain snap calls.

What do you think? :eek:

M

Maurits92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably had 99 or A9. Would be pretty rough if he did have aces here...

J

jrx1908

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can have up hands more connected, as JdQd if JQo bad call him.

N

Narcotic35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Spoiler:

Turn 4d, River 6h

Villain shows Ah 8d.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing to do but get it in. Only losing to AA but only 3 combos of those. Beating big acres, 2 pair hands, trips and bluffs.

If Villian shows you aces, tip you hat, nice hand.

N

Narcotic35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing to do but get it in. Only losing to AA but only 3 combos of those. Beating big acres, 2 pair hands, trips and bluffs.

If Villian shows you aces, tip you hat, nice hand.
That's what I thought, plus....holding AA with 4 players in the pot he should have made an isolation 3-bet. I was lucky the one card FD didn't hit.

I eventually finished the satellite as chipleader, so I'm going to the €220 main event in July :D

B

bkkblues99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would be delighted!!! You have the effective nuts on the flop. If villain somehow has AA (VERY unlikely) then say nh (dont mean it) and move on :p

Best of luck for the main event! Hope you crush it!

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a brag masquerading as analysis.

B

bkkblues99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While I didn't think along that line (I did after reading your comment though and I think it's possible), I did think that was a slightly odd hand to "analyze". There is really not much to analyze. No offense to OP. But that hand is about as straight forward as it gets.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

While I didn't think along that line (I did after reading your comment though and I think it's possible), I did think that was a slightly odd hand to "analyze". There is really not much to analyze. No offense to OP. But that hand is about as straight forward as it gets.

I think both of these replies are from players who are used to analyzing losing spots. But players who are trying to improve their overall game will also analyze winning hands too and that doesn't make it a brag.

Anyways... here's my take:

Preflop: standard and fine. if it's very early I go a minimum of 3.0x and sometimes up to 5.0x. as the tourney gets later I go smaller and smaller until I'm just min raising or 2.1x everything. but yes this 3.0bb raise is fine.

Flop:
I'm not sure I like this overbet. (12bb into 11). Vs. .sticky non believing calling stations we can definitely bet bigger....but this might be optimistic....it's hard to get called by much. In cash I would probably bet 9 into 11 vs a known station. In tourney vs a known station I would probably bet 7 into a 11. vs a standard player I would probably bet 3.5bb here.

However once he clicks it back it's go time. He has put half his stack in signalling he is not folding so we may as well get it in now while we are crushing his range.

B

bkkblues99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"But players who are trying to improve their overall game will also analyze winning hands too and that doesn't make it a brag." - I completely agree.

It's just that to me, it seemed like quite a straight forward hand. He flopped the effective nuts and the villain shoved (After very standard Preflop action) so to me that's pretty straight forward. (Although you pointed out the c-bet sizing and I didn't notice that before, maybe that's the only lesson from this hand.)

N

Narcotic35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your comments, and yes, the flop play is what the question was about. I really wasn't completely sure what would happen and the overbet was mainly to discourage any flush draws in a hand with 4 players at that time, which I thought was the biggest threat to my hand. Also, I thought that I wanted a loose AT+ or two pair to call my bet, while isolating them.

In cash games I usually bet around 3/4 pot as a c-bet oop in this scenario.

To my defense, I need to say that this tourney ticket was bigger than my entire bankroll over 3 sites, which contributed to serious nervousness on my side. For the future I would like to feel more "secure" with what I'm doing in these situations.

So thanks for the feedback @ all, it is much appreciated!

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think both of these replies are from players who are used to analyzing losing spots. But players who are trying to improve their overall game will also analyze winning hands too and that doesn't make it a brag.

Anyways... here's my take:

Preflop: standard and fine. if it's very early I go a minimum of 3.0x and sometimes up to 5.0x. as the tourney gets later I go smaller and smaller until I'm just min raising or 2.1x everything. but yes this 3.0bb raise is fine.

Flop:
I'm not sure I like this overbet. (12bb into 11). Vs. .sticky non believing calling stations we can definitely bet bigger....but this might be optimistic....it's hard to get called by much. In cash I would probably bet 9 into 11 vs a known station. In tourney vs a known station I would probably bet 7 into a 11. vs a standard player I would probably bet 3.5bb here.

However once he clicks it back it's go time. He has put half his stack in signalling he is not folding so we may as well get it in now while we are crushing his range.
Thanks for picking up the slack. Flop sizing is worth analysis. I didn't provide it since I didn't think op was interested in it. Title and description pointed toward hero's response to villain's raise which I didn't think required much analysis and made me think brag. Op was obviously interested in more than I gave him credit for.

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played it out, i do not get it why should villain want to min raise on flop vs utg TAG (flop is AKx) since hero utg range is strong it does not make sense...

As played: wp if villain does not give up that overbet on flop often...

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for your comments, and yes, the flop play is what the question was about. I really wasn't completely sure what would happen and the overbet was mainly to discourage any flush draws in a hand with 4 players at that time, which I thought was the biggest threat to my hand. Also, I thought that I wanted a loose AT+ or two pair to call my bet, while isolating them.

In cash games I usually bet around 3/4 pot as a c-bet oop in this scenario.

To my defense, I need to say that this tourney ticket was bigger than my entire bankroll over 3 sites, which contributed to serious nervousness on my side. For the future I would like to feel more "secure" with what I'm doing in these situations.

So thanks for the feedback @ all, it is much appreciated!

Yes that was actually my impression of that bet...seemed like a fear based decision instead of an EV based decision.

We all do things like that from time to time; the important thing is to recognize it as a mental game leak and take steps to recognize that and address it in the future; maybe by using a standard bet size when you feel this fear or pressure.

Overbets can be great; and obviously here it worked perfectly but we don’t want to be results oriented and I think in the future you’ll make more money with your strong hands by betting a more standard size.

You have 66% equity vs a flushdraw with a gutshot (his highest equity hand against you)So I know you don’t want to get drawn out on but as long as you bet anything more than half pot you are denying him the proper drawing odds. And that’s assuming he sees a river. In reality he’ll usually miss on the turn and you’ll bet again further denying him proper odds.