£100 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Facing tricky pre-flop aggressor check-raised on the turn with TPGK

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
£100 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Facing tricky pre-flop aggressor check-raised on the turn with TPGK

Mid stage live tournament, rebuy not available. full ring

HJ: Tricky , ~40BB, managed to show creative play but not over the line.
e.g. called with 22 UTG+1 when UTG open raised. And he raised 4x with 22 on 775 rainbow flop when UTG cbet the flop, with one more pre-flop caller acting behind

BTN (Hero): TAG image, 28BB
SB :<10BB
BB :<15BB

HJ open raised to 3.25BB, BTN called with :as4::qc4:and SB,BB folded.

Flop: 8.5BB
:4s4::2d4::2s4:

HJ bet 3.25BB, BTN called.

Turn: 15BB
:ac4:

HJ checked. BTN bet 6BB. HJ raised to 20BB.

I bet on the turn to charge draws and also mid pairs but to my surprise villain check-raised. If villain is a straight-forward TAG type, I should be folding here but not quite certain at this spot against tricky villains. I put villain on the below range and finally shoved. He thought for a while and called.

Value hands: AA,A2,A4
bluff hands: 56 spade, 55-88 mid pair with weaker show down value, A3s
I had an A spade blocker that eliminates some draws

he had :5s4::3s4:, if I knew his range is that wide, I would have 3bet preflop

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Basically every street except the flop I thought to myself "that's not what I would do" but then thought about it another 30 seconds and changed my mind lol.

Preflop against this size of open, I don't MIND jamming but I also don't mind flatting when the two blinds are short and may jam over top. If we induce that it's kind of a slam dunk.

On flop, totally fine with the float.

Turn is interesting. We can absolutely check back, and I think playing that way as a default is good bc on this board we won't have a lot of cards that we WANT to bet and it's generally a better card for the PFR. That being said, this player is weird enough it seems like we may be better off just betting and letting him decide what he wants to do with say spades, mid pairs, and other random hands.

I think against the x/r, you need to give him a wider range, and it actually pushes it MORE to being a call. I don't think hands like AT-AK are out of the question, although he also has 22 and 44 in his range too. But I think in the end you did the right thing by jamming.

After reading spoiler: I'm slightly tilted by the fact that he thought for a while before calling. He raises turn to 20bb after you have 28bb pre and put in 6.5bb. So on the turn you have 21.5bb and he x/r to 20bb - so he only has to call off 1.5bb more, and already has a straight, which basically only loses to A2s and 44 in our range. But hey, that's live poker I guess...

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Basically every street except the flop I thought to myself "that's not what I would do" but then thought about it another 30 seconds and changed my mind lol.

Preflop against this size of open, I don't MIND jamming but I also don't mind flatting when the two blinds are short and may jam over top. If we induce that it's kind of a slam dunk.

On flop, totally fine with the float.

Turn is interesting. We can absolutely check back, and I think playing that way as a default is good bc on this board we won't have a lot of cards that we WANT to bet and it's generally a better card for the PFR. That being said, this player is weird enough it seems like we may be better off just betting and letting him decide what he wants to do with say spades, mid pairs, and other random hands.

I think against the x/r, you need to give him a wider range, and it actually pushes it MORE to being a call. I don't think hands like AT-AK are out of the question, although he also has 22 and 44 in his range too. But I think in the end you did the right thing by jamming.

After reading spoiler: I'm slightly tilted by the fact that he thought for a while before calling. He raises turn to 20bb after you have 28bb pre and put in 6.5bb. So on the turn you have 21.5bb and he x/r to 20bb - so he only has to call off 1.5bb more, and already has a straight, which basically only loses to A2s and 44 in our range. But hey, that's live poker I guess...
Thanks Matt. If I didn't have A spade that blocks some nut flush draws, I would be more inclined to shove on the turn.

I think villain just didn't pay too much attention on my remaining stack hence hesitation to call my shove but not intentionally slowroll.

M

Madsaac

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the hand was played fine, preflop and flop.
He could have several hands that you beat and your hand is under repped so the call is ok.

However when someone doesn't think much about there 3bet in regards to there stack they often have a strong hand.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3b pre to 8bb.

Post looks good, happily getting it in.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m gonna 3b preflop But otherwise I think post flop looks fine.

Also if I 3b pre to like 1/3 my stack and he calls and checks to me on that flop then I’ll just jam flop with AQ