$100 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: $100 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Classic example of 4b range vs range; seek expert advice

Y

Younglogan0910

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$100 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: $100 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Classic example of 4b range vs range; seek expert advice

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 14/14/50

888 1m Superstorm Day1 early stage - $100 buy in
(https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/4a1tuLPK)

Preflop 100bb MP v UTG1 I think it's pretty standard 3b for hero (75%) with JJ and call 4b. Hero and villain ranges are similar - 99+, ATs+ AQo+

On the flop being a dry A high board, villain bet 25% 3ways is ok, hero call; ranges of both hero and villains are
uncapped.

On turn Villain check, meaning he wouldn have 99/TT otherwise he would hv cbet. Hero bet 66% forcing villain to either all in or fold. Hero could rep AQ+, TT+ with fold equity. I am not sure if this is the best play or should check turn. But thinking if check turn, villain bet river then hero is almost likely forced to fold.

Any advice how you would play this?

BB (BB): 41.93 BB
UTG (UTG): 50.8 BB
UTG+1 (UTG+1): 87.99 BB
Hero (MP): 116.53 BB
MP+1 (MP+1): 44.21 BB
MP+2 (MP+2): 55.33 BB
CO (CO): 80.2 BB
BTN (BTN): 43.63 BB
SB (SB): 75.27 BB

9 players post ante of 0.1 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Dealt to Hero:

fold, UTG+1 raises to 2.1 BB, Hero raises to 5.1 BB, fold, fold, CO calls 5.1 BB, fold, fold, fold, UTG+1 raises to 17.33 BB, Hero calls 12.23 BB, CO calls 12.23 BB

Flop (54.4 BB, 3 players):
UTG+1 bets 13.6 BB, Hero calls 13.6 BB, fold

Turn (81.6 BB, 2 players):
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets 54.4 BB, UTG+1 raises to 56.95 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 2.55 BB

River (195.51 BB, 2 players):

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a cash games player but I will comment a bit on this tournament hand.
Being deep from preflop against the UTG1 range we IP must make a raise of a larger size. With this objective we also seek efficient fold equity for the other villains and reduce the number of ways for this pot. A more suitable size could be up to 3.5x, then if the villain does a 3-bet, his SPR only allows him to push from this line, and then we have a tighter decision. Against a more closed position range this would be a fold in preflop, since we don't block 6 Q-Q combos; 6 K-K combos and 6 A-A combos.
On the flop as you played the call is standard. But on the turn, your hand doesn't block any value, so we shouldn't bet on this 4-bet pot, since probably any value or draw in the villain's range would bet heavily here. An Ax could easily jam if it can block any draw combo. On the turn the UTG1 x / jam line is very strong, but we already got involved in this boat so we had to call. I think the standard line in this hand is to evaluate on the turn the size of the second barrel that the UTG1 player would shoot and decide whether to call or not. But if we call we will generally be almost forced to defend our bluff catcher on the river.
Greetings.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a cash games player but I will comment a bit on this tournament hand.
Being deep from preflop against the UTG1 range we IP must make a raise of a larger size. With this objective we also seek efficient fold equity for the other villains and reduce the number of ways for this pot. A more suitable size could be up to 3.5x, then if the villain does a 3-bet, his SPR only allows him to push from this line, and then we have a tighter decision. Against a more closed position range this would be a fold in preflop, since we don't block 6 Q-Q combos; 6 K-K combos and 6 A-A combos.
On the flop as you played the call is standard. But on the turn, your hand doesn't block any value, so we shouldn't bet on this 4-bet pot, since probably any value or draw in the villain's range would bet heavily here. An Ax could easily jam if it can block any draw combo. On the turn the UTG1 x / jam line is very strong, but we already got involved in this boat so we had to call. I think the standard line in this hand is to evaluate on the turn the size of the second barrel that the UTG1 player would shoot and decide whether to call or not. But if we call we will generally be almost forced to defend our bluff catcher on the river.
Greetings.

Agree on the 3B sizing, 3bet bigger preflop this deep. We do definitely want to call the 4bet though if you both use a reasonable size (if he still raises >3x after you use a reasonable size we may want to reconsider and instead fold or jam).

Everything about the flop spot sucks though. Even Villain's preflop bluffs, think A5/A4s got you beat (except for maybe the very few combinations of suited broadways as a bluff). Tbh I'm not too familiar multiway, but given these extremly tight preflop ranges, I reckon an exploitative fold wouldn't be too bad since we're caught in the middle.

Once we call it just becomes a float, which is probably also fine. But then a turn bet becomes somewhat mandatory. However, if we'd rather bet small and jam river or jam the turn instantly idk. Intuition says bet/fold turn and if called jam river would be best if you think V is capable of laying down top pair. If you don't think he is capable of folding TP, I'd just save your money and fold flop exploitatively. But again, I'm by no means a multiway deepstack expert so I'd like to hear other's opinions on this.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree on the 3B sizing, 3bet bigger preflop this deep. We do definitely want to call the 4bet though if you both use a reasonable size (if he still raises >3x after you use a reasonable size we may want to reconsider and instead fold or jam).

Everything about the flop spot sucks though. Even Villain's preflop bluffs, think A5/A4s got you beat (except for maybe the very few combinations of suited broadways as a bluff). Tbh I'm not too familiar multiway, but given these extremly tight preflop ranges, I reckon an exploitative fold wouldn't be too bad since we're caught in the middle.

Once we call it just becomes a float, which is probably also fine. But then a turn bet becomes somewhat mandatory. However, if we'd rather bet small and jam river or jam the turn instantly idk. Intuition says bet/fold turn and if called jam river would be best if you think V is capable of laying down top pair. If you don't think he is capable of folding TP, I'd just save your money and fold flop exploitatively. But again, I'm by no means a multiway deepstack expert so I'd like to hear other's opinions on this.

Based on how preflop has been played in this hand, I think it would float on the flop if we believe that the ¼ pot bet seeks efficient fold equity (real chance with an Ax in range v, or with a bluff). Otherwise, I suppose any AX combo (ex: A-Qs; A-Ks) would now try to charge a cheaper price, looking for slightly more limited of hand calls like Q-Q and K-K. Although it is also likely that hands like A-K or A-Q would seek a little more value on the flop, in a 3-way pot (perhaps with a cbet closer to 1/3 of the pot). And against the latter, the truth is that you are right and the fold on the flop is better. I think that on the turn we could make a small purely speculative bet, but I also suppose that if we check we are limiting the bluffs in range V. Also on the turn we are not blocking any relevant value, so the defense on the river, I find it more comfortable if we can neutralize the annoying bluffs that the villain could carry. Greetings.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion the range of 4 hero bets on the turn is very strong and the villain knows it.
So in this sequence I prefer to play a defensive line in the river.
At this point I think an A-Ks or A-Qs would prefer a slightly larger bet on this 3-way flop, to achieve a more linearly proportional jam on the river.
On the other hand, the texture of the board is quite dry. In this scenario we do not need to place a bet on the turn.
Our SPR is balanced here, so we must build the jam range of V, to make a decision.
How many times does the villain jam on the river with an Ax. If we think that this villain is a high risk player, we must bear in mind that now all broadways suits combinations can operate on the river as weaker aces blockers.
Then the UTG1 range structure could be formed fundamentally with:
Ax = 8 combos suits, being in this case x: 9; 8; etc. + bluffs combos:
QKs; KJs; QJs; KTs = 12 combos.
If to this we add:
A combination of tall pokets like K-K = 6 combos, and we think the villain could bluff him in the river, we should fold in the river.
If we believe that the villain has 4 AX suit combos in his range, our call / fold on the river is in a 50/50 ratio. If we include a larger number, we must fold.
If the villain only has Ax and broadways in his range, we could call on the river.

C

Coinuss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He reraises preflop when he had AT+ or middle pocket pair. He had 77 or 66. May be better raise on the flop and fold after his all in.
I check on turn and fold in this situation.