$10 NLHE STT: A6o on BB squeeze play live game

T

twohaha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This very interesting hand occurred during a home game tournament. Lot of loose passive play.

Basically, mid position raised 3bb and button called. Mid position is a lag who raises about 30% of the time from that spot, but gives a lot of credit for my 3 bets, while button is a loose passive player who limps, calls a lot of raises preflop but folds them after the flop. Everyone else folded
I don't remember the specific details, but I had about 75 bb and both players had me covered. I'm probably seen as the tightest player on the table, and I've only shown down strong hands.
I get A6o, so I decide to squeeze 10bb. Mid position folds and button tank calls.

Flop: Q92r
Pot:23.5bb

Hero bets 17bb, button tank calls,

Turn: 3
Check check

River: J
Check check

Showdown
I would like to hear your opinions on how this hand was played, and what range you put the villain on.

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First, I'm not a fan of a squeeze (if not an allin squeeze) with a weak ace. I'd rather do it with something that has more potential hand value, especially if you'll be playing OOP. Even before he calls the flop, I am most concerned about the loose passive player. This player type will not define a hand with betting, but will call wide if they hit something. Based on this, I do not like the squeeze here.

The board is in his range with the two middling cards and when your CB does not take it down, you can expect him to have hit something, or at least have a str8 draw, whether it be a gutty or an open ender. If he does not have something on the flop, the river J should likely give him at least a pair.

I do not think a 2nd bullet on the turn takes this pot down vs player type (ie calling station) and so the turn/river check is likely necessary to conserve chips. Obviously they put you on an unimproved AK and will call down here with even an underpair to the board.

I avoid the situation altogether and decline squeezing in the first place. Would far rather button squeeze vs these same two players later in the game.

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3bet squeezing with A6o at a passive home game sounds like trouble. Maybe you were overthinking things? He could be tanking with Q10 and calling down with one pair. Like the other poster said if your going to make this move either have a monster, like AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AKs, or have a hand that plays well against your opponents hand range, like 89s 109s 10Js. Hands like KJ and Ax would be really hard to play out of position on later streets, because you have no equity in ACTUALLY making the best hand. What happens if an ace comes? you can't really bet for value and if you meet resistance its over. Your best option (in the opinion of a lagtard like myself) would just be to fire the turn and Hollywood on the river and move all in. It might not work, but hey get rich or die trying

T

twohaha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both your reasoning seem sound; I'm not sure if I can believe myself anymore...

My reasoning was that lag opener folds over 70% of the time (I saw him raise with hands like k4o and Qto) while the loose passive guy, who has been playing a lot of fit and fold on flop, would fold to Chet over 50% of the time. Also, I think I can get value even flopping an ace, since he might call multiple barrels with second, third pair, or a weaker Ace. Are these assumptions inaccurate

A

AsylumBoy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, You are the Tightest Player in the game opening 10BB with A6o out of position?
Can I come over and Play?

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the squeeze is fine, the flop bet is fine and you shut down when he calls. He'll have a lot of Qx, JT maybe KJ and some smaller pairs like 88 TT and I don't think a turn or river bet will get you very far.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that squeeze with a weak ace isn't good idea, because we are OOP and when you do it you start bluff with this hand.
As played - if you 3bet pre flop it, then obligatorily should be cbet there, I try to have an initiative and throw away him from this hand. But as I said, with A6o I can call it only pre flop and see the flop. Here his range - usually he hits something when he calls the flop. You check the turn and check the river - I think that you played it right. No good to bluff him, you can waste some more chips.

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games