Folds to cut off 22bb who raises to 3bb
Folds to hero in BB 21bb with KQd

I weighed up the options and decided to flat to close the action

TBH I also thought about a nitty fold

Flop comes KsQc4h
Pot 196k
I check Villan bets 180k
What's the best play ?

No reads on villan I got moved to this table around 10hands earlier and he hadnt been involved from what I call recall

Again apologies I don't know how to use hand converter

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

Preflop: rarely fold, consider 3bet jam or flat depending on reads, flat is fine readless.
Flop: check/raise all-in.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know nothing is known about the villain but pointing out anyway that I would base my decision based on how often villain is opening. If they open a lot I lean more towards jamming this and if they open a decent amount, even a little over a decent amount and less then I like just calling here. I will also say that if I had KQ off here and it is a 3x open I would consider folding. That may seem tight but at the same time it is 20 BB vs 20BB and we would be out of position. We would be in a tough spot to be floating there with nothing post flop and would not want to be lead bluffing in that spot either. The suitedness of the KQ makes a big difference here in my opinion so I would be calling or jamming. In this specific case we know little about villain so I believe the best play is to just call.

The flop is great of course because we hit top two, third card is low and does not bring a further straight card, and the board is rainbow so we dont have to worry about an opponents flush (just runner runner) too often. I am never leading in this spot no matter if I have the nuts or if I have nothing. I am always checking to the raiser here and seeing what happens. Villain bets roughly 2/3rds pot here and since we have the board dominated I am going to just call here. I want to keep their crap and bluffs in the hand. I dont have to worry about a flush draw until the turn but the straight could get us if villain has AJ, J10, A10. However, I will take that chance as I think we get more value over time doing this rather than raising or jamming which should fold out most villains holdings and we block a King and a Queen.

On a hypothetical turn I would take a weird line depending on what card comes out. If it one of the ones that brings a possible straight (A, J, 10) I would lead out here to not let the villain check behind and see a free river. If the card is anything other than those then I am checking with the intention of check jamming if the villain does bet. My biggest fear would be something like 7 of clubs comes out, I check and they check behind and then another club comes on the river giving a possible flush. Again, I will take that chance as I am looking to get more than the 4.5BB bet into this pot on the flop when I flop top two pair.

All the above might become a disaster and I understand that in playing passively here but sometimes you have to take risks to pickup chips and since we dominate the board so much on the flop I believe check jamming lets villain off the hook a little bit.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know nothing is known about the villain but pointing out anyway that I would base my decision based on how often villain is opening. If they open a lot I lean more towards jamming this and if they open a decent amount, even a little over a decent amount and less then I like just calling here. I will also say that if I had KQ off here and it is a 3x open I would consider folding. That may seem tight but at the same time it is 20 BB vs 20BB and we would be out of position. We would be in a tough spot to be floating there with nothing post flop and would not want to be lead bluffing in that spot either. The suitedness of the KQ makes a big difference here in my opinion so I would be calling or jamming. In this specific case we know little about villain so I believe the best play is to just call.

The flop is great of course because we hit top two, third card is low and does not bring a further straight card, and the board is rainbow so we dont have to worry about an opponents flush (just runner runner) too often. I am never leading in this spot no matter if I have the nuts or if I have nothing. I am always checking to the raiser here and seeing what happens. Villain bets roughly 2/3rds pot here and since we have the board dominated I am going to just call here. I want to keep their crap and bluffs in the hand. I dont have to worry about a flush draw until the turn but the straight could get us if villain has AJ, J10, A10. However, I will take that chance as I think we get more value over time doing this rather than raising or jamming which should fold out most villains holdings and we block a King and a Queen.

On a hypothetical turn I would take a weird line depending on what card comes out. If it one of the ones that brings a possible straight (A, J, 10) I would lead out here to not let the villain check behind and see a free river. If the card is anything other than those then I am checking with the intention of check jamming if the villain does bet. My biggest fear would be something like 7 of clubs comes out, I check and they check behind and then another club comes on the river giving a possible flush. Again, I will take that chance as I am looking to get more than the 4.5BB bet into this pot on the flop when I flop top two pair.

All the above might become a disaster and I understand that in playing passively here but sometimes you have to take risks to pickup chips and since we dominate the board so much on the flop I believe check jamming lets villain off the hook a little bit.

I played exactly as you said I called the flop the turn brought a 10h and I jammed as didn't want a free straight card coming out he calls with AK river a disgusting J.

I just wanted to know others thoughts if jamming the flop was the better play I think my line was best just unlucky which would have got me chip lead stack

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
run this in icmizer and it will tell you KQ suited is a 3b jam here allllll day. We block the top of our villans Broadway pfr range and our hand flops relatively well so even vs underpairs we are doing OK when flipping. I would personally 3bet jam this spot myself - I do not deviate from standard strategy around a FT bubble - this is especially good as it is a time when players are tightening down to try and make the FT and not to go bust before hand -- i believe you flatted this hand for this exact reason. If you miss the flop you get away, when you connect well, you go with it. Players are simply over folding around the FT bubble and until we make the FT theres no reason to deviate from standard game strategies unless the payout jumps are very significant at this particular stage (in general at lower stakes, they are not).

As played once we hit the flop this hard and villan leads for almost full pot they should NEVER be doing this as a bluff. They are risking too many chips to just up and fold this flop - that being said we flopped top two, we block KKs and QQs - we are well ahead of AA and AK - so i am inclined to just jam here. If we run into a set with top two its just a frosty situation and there is nothing we can do - once we connect this well its insane not to go with our hand. We want to get max value here and setup for the win - id shove over the bet here on the flop. No need to get cute

dartablasta

dartablasta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In flop you should push when he bets to denied ev,, cuz of the final table u have to consider icm and villain is comitted with worst Ks so u get so Many calls from worst hands, and the thing is that i prefer to jam this spot preflop vs cut off

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
A 3BB open with only 22BB stack is very non-standard. Was this his normal sizing? If not it might be a bit of a tell, and then I would certainly also prefer to just call rather than commit all my chips with a rejam. I dont think, I can get away from KQ though. Its just way to high in our range to not defend our big blind.

Flop
Great flop and with an SPR of less than 4, you are obviusly in stack-off mode, and really you cant go to wrong with any line. You can jam it in now hoping, he has AK or AA, which in fact he did. Or you can just call and allow him to put it in himself on the turn. I am not sure his range has that many bluffs with this sizing both preflop and on the flop, so I probably just get it in, but I dont think, it really matters.

Results
Just a bit of a setup really. If he had opened smaller, and you had rejammed, all the chips would also have gone in, and you would have ended up losing. Now you were able to get it in while ahead, but he still had 14% equity on the flop, 16% on the turn, and this time he got there. He got lucky preflop, you got lucky on the flop, he got lucky on the river. It is, what it is.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands