$10 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: $$10 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Nut straight vs 3 spades

O

olliek92

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, so this was a $10 NL holdem deepstack tournament on pokerstars. There were just under 1000 entrants, 5,000 starting chip stack with blinds increasing every 30 minutes. We were about 3 hours deep when this hand happened, what would you do?

I had $24,500 the tournament average was around $13,400 and there were 200 players left. The top 162 got paid.

I have 9D 10D in the big blind blinds are 300/600

All folds round to the button, who min raises to 1200, small blind calls. As do I.

The flop comes 7S 6C 2S

The button min raises to 600, the small blind calls. As do I with 2 overs and a gutshot.

The turn comes 8S

the button checks, the small blind min bets. I call, the button shoves all in ($13,000) The small blind reshoves all in ($16,800)

I have the nut straight vs a shove and a re-shove. What would you do in this situation with 9D 10D on a board of 7S 6C 2S 8S.

I took my time, but so close to the bubble and risking 3/4 of my stack I laid it down. Small blind turned over a set of 6's and the button turned over 4H 5H. Neither had the flush, I was left to rue this mistake as in 2 of the next 10 hands I had pocket J's and lost to Aces and Kings, I ended up bubbling the tournament after 5 hours of play.

I was thinking about this hand the whole next day, If I won that hand I would have been in the top 10 of chip stacks, but against the betting patterns it seemed so obvious at least one player had the straight. Oh well.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you could think about squeezing pre, probably just release on the flop other wise, only have 3 clean outs

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd fold flop, as played I call it off.

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played after the flop I would raise the SB's minbet, 1st to protect your hand vs another spade and 2nd with your raise you are basically pot comitted, so it is easier to play.

S

Sori

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I may 3-bet preflop and try and take down the pot right there. The minraise from the button isnt very strong and may just be a weak attempt to steal blinds.

As played I think I would end up folding the turn in your position as well, although its an extremely tough fold. I would be surprised to see that neither had the flush after 2 shoves before you though.