Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
STT
Buy-in
Currency
$
This hand is from a 10$ 6-man regular speed SnG on pokerstars. BTN was playing VPIP 48 / PFR 14 over 82 hands.

PokerStars, $9.15 + $0.85 - Hold'em No Limit - 60/120 (15 ante) - 4 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/125a5E3Sb

UTG: 1,646 (14 bb)
BU: 3,671 (31 bb)
SB: 1,840 (15 bb)
BB (Hero): 1,843 (15 bb)

Pre-Flop: (240) Hero is BB with T♥ 8♠
1 fold, BTN calls 120, SB calls 60, Hero checks

Flop: (420) T♣ 3♥ T♠ (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets 168, BTN calls 168, SB folds

Turn: (756) 9♠ (2 players)
Hero bets 302, BTN raises to 3,368 (all-in), Hero?

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I would call, with 10 BB left and also you have one spade in your hand so you block one of his outs if he is drawing to a flush. I believe your hand is to strong to fold, and BTN being the big stack at the table is has to put pressure on all of you guys.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would call, with 10 BB left and also you have one spade in your hand so you block one of his outs if he is drawing to a flush. I believe your hand is to strong to fold, and BTN being the big stack at the table is has to put pressure on all of you guys.
This is the spot where we do not want to have the spade we want more bluffs connected to this board from V and the 8 blocks 87ss 86 J8 Q8 K8 A8ss all possible limps on btn it also blocks the same hands with 1 spade- It is good for blocking the straight draws though but most V do not get agg with just the straight draw here.
As played SPR may be an issue in how it effects the V response-they could actually shove here with boats because you have ten bb left-that allows them to balance their shove range very well here -maybe by accident.

The study point here is range vs range on such a static board- We are shoving soo many of our pairs here preflop what checked pair are we betting flop- betting turn - We still have Tx here as we did- does the V even think about that- is that what they are targeting? if they think we are bluffing why try to get us to fold?

With the V calling flop -what 9x hands are they shoving and why?
The V has a lot of offsuit Tx hands they will limp -Tx is the most fav limp hand by most weak limping players and when you are using a solid limp strategy you also limp a lot of tx hands as well all of them better than yours.

As played if I had a note that suggested this V would trap with AA KK preflop that would be my decision inflection to call but I hate having the 8s

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the comments. I was not completely loving it, when he jammed. But I only started the hand with 15 BB, and the opponent was a fish, who limped his BTN, when he should be applying pressure to the shorter stacks in the blinds. So I made the call, and here is the result.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont understand the question.
I feel stupid

Can someone reason to me anything besides call
This isn't a question
this is a call

D

DaMooca

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wanted to understand what goes through the mind of the citizen to make this move. :unsure: Does he shove thinking the other player is going to fold his hand??

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only one 10 in the whole deck left, but should we see it in BTN's range with a better kicker by limping?
Can 33 or 99 limp? Even A3?
I do believe that great players should push the combinations mentioned above preflop. So waking up with them postflop, and pushing them on a board like this to the sky, it means that opp is definitely not a tight player, and we will get a good prize to see how light this person can be.
I at least expected that this person connected to the Turn, cause it opened some windows, but it was even worse.

Agree with you, if hero is willing to bluff here, its really questionable which hands you he is going to apart from the Ten in the hand, cause preflop you 'd dominate with the pockets, so we are getting back once again to the preflop perspective, and that makes this call I think even smoother not to worry about stronger kickers really, only some runner, overvalued combinations.

lukaszkrzi

lukaszkrzi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop: With T♥ 8♠ in the BB, it is a reasonable hand to check with. The BTN has a high VPIP of 48, indicating they are likely to play a lot of hands, and a low PFR of 14, indicating they are not likely to raise preflop very often. The SB also calls a small amount, which is typical in STT's.

Flop: The flop comes T♣ 3♥ T♠ and it hits your hand with a set of tens. It's a good flop for you, SB checks, you can make a value bet with 168, The BTN calls which is good as it shows that they have a good hand. The SB folds which is good as well, because he may have a weak hand.

Turn: The turn brings 9♠. You make a bet of 302, which is a decent sized bet to make. The BTN raises all-in, this is a tricky spot. The BTN has a very high VPIP, so he could be playing a wide range of hands. The all-in move suggests a strong hand, but it's also possible that he's bluffing.

It's important to consider the stack sizes and tournament dynamics. With only 15 bb, it is tight spot. The play would depend on how confident you feel about the strength of your hand and the read you have on the BTN's play. If you believe the BTN is bluffing, you could consider calling or re-raising. However, if you are unsure or believe the BTN has a strong hand, it may be safer to fold and preserve your chip stack.