Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
STT
Buy-in
Currency
$
This one is from a regular speed 9-man SnG. Only second blind level but two players have already busted, and the table is quite soft. Main opponent was playing VPIP 33 / PFR 33 over 12 hands, all off them from this game.

pokerstars, $9.10 + $0.90 - Hold'em No Limit - 15/30 (4 ante) - 7 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/hand-converter.php

UTG (Hero): 1,357 (45 bb)
MP: 2,447 (82 bb)
MP+1: 2,217 (74 bb)
CO: 1,584 (53 bb)
BU: 3,476 (116 bb)
SB: 936 (31 bb)
BB: 1,483 (49 bb)

Pre-Flop: (73) Hero is UTG with A♦ 2♦
Hero raises to 75, 4 players fold, SB calls 60, BB calls 45

Flop: (253) 9♠ A♥ K♠ (3 players)
SB checks, BB bets 100, Hero calls 100, SB folds

Turn: (453) 5♠ (2 players)
BB bets 100, Hero calls 100

River: (653) 2♠ (2 players)
BB bets 100, Hero?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Weird line from BB especially on River but it sure looks like a weak spade that doesn't want to face a large bet or a re-raise so puts in that weird size as a blocker (?) I don't think you can raise because they will probably only call with better. I think I would just call here with my 2 pair. You are losing to any spade (And all the relevant Ace combos A9, AK, A5. I guess AK would have raised pre but maybe not)

D

DaMooca

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's no way to fold this hand with his bet value on the river for a pot of more than 600. Really, he either has a weak spade card or he doesn't have any so he sent that blocking bet on the river.

Statsman1

Statsman1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
OK, I will take a stab at this - one way, if you think your opponent is smart, and the other way, I am grabbing your 'table is soft' comment.

Smart opponent -

I feel like he called with ATo (Ace spades) or QJ (spades). On the flop, he hit the pair or had the straight / flush draw, so he wasn't taking any huge risks, but figured you might fold if you whiffed. You only called, so he must have guessed you had the A or some kind of draw, but without raising, he probably felt pretty good.

Turn gave him the nut flush draw, OR a Q-high flush, or still a pair of A, so he min-bet it, figuring that if you raised, he could call no matter what, and he still wasn't breaking the bank.

Then the last spade hit, so now he has the nut flush, or you needed the A of spades to be ahead. Maybe he thought that a huge bet would scare you off, so if he threw one more 100 bet out there, hoping you would come over the top if YOU hit the flush or you had trip 9 or 5, maybe. Or, if you shove after the river, you would likely have the A of spades, and he could fold.

If I thought he was a decent player (so, not 'soft'), I would likely fold.

Soft opponent -

He called with K9s. Hit his K and 9, figured that if you missed the flop, you would fold, but since you did not raise him on the flop, he probably did not guess you had the A, or you DID have the A, but only a single pair, so if you raised, he could 3-bet. Then he tried again on the turn, since there was now a flush possible, and yet, again, you didn't raise, only called...getting him to think you missed again, but wanted to try again to improve your Ax, so his 2 pair were still good (which, they were).

On the river, he bets out again to feel you out. Maybe he is smart enough to guess that you wouldn't have raised preflop with nothing, so you likely were just gunning for something you didn't get in the end. If 4 spades did not frighten him on the river and he still bet out, I think he was trying to let you kill yourself, since all of these were just min bets. In this case, I am more likely to call with 2 pair here, if I am absolutely sure he would not have done something bigger by hitting the flush. You didn't give him a chance to 3-bet, and that weird min bet on the river just says that if you missed, you would fold, or call with just a pair of A and he had you.

I would say that in this scenario, you would have made the call, but you would not raise here.

Statsman1

Statsman1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Great read. Strange way for that guy to play that hand, but worked out very well for you!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands