$1 SNG, facing raise on turn

P

phatjose

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain is running 31/22/1.8 over 114 hands of this tournament. He has also 3 bet preflop 12.5% of the time during this blind level. 8 hands prior to this he 3 bet all in when I raised from the SB with KQo and said "don't do that." Also, for some reason the table has me as a very loose player and my raises are getting 0 respect, despite the fact that I have been playing the tightest out of all of them.

Stacks:
- phatjose with 3725 - mcippolito with 6205 - dgrab with 960 - Jack_B83 with 2610

index.pl

index.pl

Blinds: 75/150
Site: pokerstars
* - Dealt to phatjose:
as.gif
ks.gif

* - Sklansky group 1
Preflop:
**- 2 players fold.
* - phatjose raises 300 to 450
* - mcippolito calls [300]
* - Total folds this street: 2
* - Potsize: 900
Flop:
9d.gif
8d.gif
5d.gif

* - phatjose: checks
* - mcippolito: checks
* - Potsize: 900
Turn:
3c.gif

* - phatjose bets [450]
* - mcippolito raises 1650 to 2100

Is this a fold or do I shove thinking he is making a play at me? Calling is obviously not an option since I would have like 1200 behind if I called and would be committed to the pot anyway.

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold, the only thing you beat is a bluff and you still have plenty of chips. you took a stab but are up against the chip leader which is a bad place to be with nothing.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I fold. You're still in 2nd place and you have no pair, no draw. If I had a diamond then I'd push.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why did you leave you c-bet until the turn?

I think that's the biggest problem here. If you raise pre-flop, then c-bet the flop, your line makes sense: you represented a strong hand pre-flop, and continued to represent one on the flop. Could be a big pair, could be a big diamond draw. If you get raised, you've probably still gotta give it up, but you've given your move the best chance to work.

On the turn though, you've got some problems. Villain will be pretty certain there's no way in hell the 3c helped you. At the very least, it won't have helped you enough to call a big raise and at best, you've got a big pair and there's still plenty on that board to scare you.

I think the biggest problem here, however, is trying to bluff the big stack at the table - and trying to do it from out of position to boot. Instead of trying to play a marginal hand (and this is a marginal hand post-flop) against the big stack at the table, I'd be looking to take money away from the short stacks at the table instead.

As played, I just fold here. You'll still be in second place (just), try to rebuild your stack from the other players and wait until you've got a good hand to go up against the big stack.

Last edited: