CO: 3,050.00
BTN: 1,470.00
SB: 1,480.00
Hero (BB): 1,500.00
UTG: 1,500.00
UTG+1: 1,530.00

SB posts SB 15.00, Hero posts BB 30.00

Pre Flop: (45.00) Hero has J:heart: A:heart:

fold, fold, fold, fold, LP calls 30.00, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 95.00, LP calls 65.00

Flop: (205.00, 2 players) 4:heart: 2:spade: 2:club:
Hero bets 105.00, LP calls 105.00

Turn: (415.00, 2 players) 3:heart:
Hero checks, LP bets 130.00, Hero calls 130.00

River: (675.00, 2 players) K:club:
Hero checks, LP bets 130.00, fold

Raised for value pre flop.
C-bet to try and get him off any over cards which is a massive part of his range.
Picked up aditional outs on the turn so decided to check/call to keep the pot small. If I barrell turn I thought i'd have to fold to a re-raise so decided to c/c and hope he checked behind.

Turn was bad so I folded.

If anythings wrong with this hand should have bet turn?

seanDCFC

seanDCFC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would bet the turn as I would want villain to fold, but even if we get called we still have a lot of outs to improve and our A high could well be the best hand at this point. I dont think check/calling is all that bad but I would like to keep putting the pressure on here.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would bet the turn as I would want villain to fold, but even if we get called we still have a lot of outs to improve and our A high could well be the best hand at this point. I dont think check/calling is all that bad but I would like to keep putting the pressure on here.

Yeah probably agree with that to be fair. At the time I didn't wanna be spewy and create a big pot but a semi-bluff seems fair here.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably just check my option preflop but it's been a loooooong time since I've played a $1 game so IDK, raising for value here might be OK. We don't really gain anything if villain folds preflop though and playing a bloated pot OOP sucks no matter what the stakes.

On the whole I'm looking to keep the pot small here. It's early in the game, we don't have any real reads and most of the time the best case scenario is that we win a small pot. There aren't really any better hands that we get to fold by betting the flop and I think a lot of the worse hands you're trying to get to fold probably call us as well. Plus we have to figure that a good chunk of those worse hands contain either an ace or a jack and probably lose a big chunk to us if they're allowed to stay in and hit one of those cards and we can get away cheap if a king or queen comes and it worries us.

Check preflop, check flop, check-call turn and fold river IMO but keep the pot smaller all the way until you hit something solid.

G

Gunner57

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am ok with a raise preflop. I would likely only min raise to build pot a little... 3XBB raise would only be if I wanted to steal and/or set table image.... Pot a little low to steal

Given your pre-flop raise, villan call, early in the game, and the crappy flop just check the flop. If he bets you have a chance to re-raise, call, or fold, if villan checks you see next card for free and can take a shot on turn. This also helps keep pot size down.

As was played check-calling on the turn is good. You already took a stab at it and missed and you are not in a position to really double barrel with any confidence here. Controll the pot... If you had checked flop, the turn would have been a perfect place to fire.

Just brush this one off and move on. Lots of poker still to play and you still have chips and low blinds :) Going forward in this tourney thought I would try to limit the out of position hands you play against this villan at least for the next few times he is in a hand with you..

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the preflop raise but I think you bet the flop and turn too much. I would bet half to two thirds the pot rather than the entire pot since we are attempting to take it down with a bluff, not raise for value. Given how villain played the hand, he either had something like A2 or limped in with a low pocket pair like 4s and most likely hit big which is why he is probably calling so much. I might bet the turn here but would have probably folded given villain probably hit a set or even a full house which means even if we make our hand, we are drawing dead.

L

losched16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You would be much better off just checking preflop and moving forward if you hit your A or J. OP, you say betting for value, but playing AJ OOP at 15/30 against limp/callers is usually not going to fair too well for you. Remember the chips you lose are worth more than the chips you win. By playing too many hands like this OOP in the early going you are going to find yourself in a lot of awkward spots and leaking chips.

L

losched16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From OzExorcist: "Check preflop, check flop, check-call turn and fold river IMO but keep the pot smaller all the way until you hit something solid"

This is probably my line.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm usually either checking here preflop, or making it like 70 just to bump the pot up a little bit.

As played, i'm betting the turn myself to around 130. BEtting flop then checking the turn is a huge sign of weakness, and even muppets will know to bet.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cheers guys i'll probably just check next time

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I am ok with a raise preflop. I would likely only min raise to build pot a little...
quote]
tks. I've always been extremely curious why players 'min-raise' out of position over limpers & have never been able to figure it out why they do this. (I find myself tempted & wanting to call them down with air just to see 'what hand is a min-raise out of pos. over limper(s) ). Now I don't have to. tks again

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands