$1 NLHE MTT: Would you have played this any differently?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software

Pretty standard 3bet from the SB. I took your advice and made that 3bet bigger and indeed got a call from the CO. Flop gives me TPTK and I took your advice again and made a smaller Cbet than I've done in the past. Just over 1/3 pot instead of 1/2. If he's drawing to clubs, I want him to call but not get it for free. He folded so must not have had clubs...or anything else for that matter. Maybe a small pocket pair and was set mining PF?

NL Holdem $1+$0.10 (110.00BB)
MP ($4987)
CO ($4987)
BTN ($5191)
HERO ($7355)
BB ($7783)
UTG_1 ($14329)
UTG ($5000)

Dealt to Hero: A J

UTG_1 Folds, UTG Folds, MP Folds, CO Raises To $255, BTN Folds, HERO Raises To $882, BB Folds, CO Calls $627

Hero SPR on Flop: [2.12 effective]
Flop ($1939): 7 4 J
HERO Bets $705 (Rem. Stack: $5768), CO Folds

HERO wins: $1939

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very standard hand, and there is nothing wrong with betting the flop with TPTK and taking it down. You got him to put in 20% of his chips only to see the first 3 cards, and regardless what you hold, thats a massively profitable outcome for you. Not saying we are "bluffing" with TPTK, but the hand is pretty vulnerable, so we are never to sad, when people just fold. And of course next time maybe you have A5 of hearts, so people folding to your C-bets is generally a great thing for you :)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO all is good except I would make the c bet a little bigger as this is a flop where worse hands could call quite easily. Any club draw would call plus worse Jx hands will call and even pocket pair hands that arent sets might call a street. Your sizing is not bad by any means since it is enough to make villains draw against it but if they call with worse you could get a little more than what you bet. Nitpicking a bit but I think that is the reason why you posted this hand as for the most part it is straight forward.

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty standard hand. However, that kind of board texture and action isn't all that great for a down-bet when you're holding AJ. It worked this time but may want to consider when its best to go 1/4 pot bet vs 1/2-2/3, as there is no automatic decision for either one.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software

Pretty standard 3bet from the SB. I took your advice and made that 3bet bigger and indeed got a call from the CO. Flop gives me TPTK and I took your advice again and made a smaller Cbet than I've done in the past. Just over 1/3 pot instead of 1/2. If he's drawing to clubs, I want him to call but not get it for free. He folded so must not have had clubs...or anything else for that matter. Maybe a small pocket pair and was set mining PF?

NL Holdem $1+$0.10 (110.00BB)
MP ($4987)
CO ($4987)
BTN ($5191)
HERO ($7355)
BB ($7783)
UTG_1 ($14329)
UTG ($5000)

Dealt to Hero: A J

UTG_1 Folds, UTG Folds, MP Folds, CO Raises To $255, BTN Folds, HERO Raises To $882, BB Folds, CO Calls $627

Hero SPR on Flop: [2.12 effective]
Flop ($1939): 7 4 J
HERO Bets $705 (Rem. Stack: $5768), CO Folds

HERO wins: $1939

Thank you for posting

We want to know exactly what we want to accomplish when we bet.
So what range will fold now? What range do we want to call. What range is never folding and has us beat? How will that range react to this sizing?
The 1/3 pot bet is used here to get our V to call a wider range1 time on the flop. When they do call they are making a mistake -they make that mistake with greater frequency than when we bet half pot or more.

We are also playing in games where our V chase with 1 pair not just top pair so when we miss the flop the smaller sizing allows us to look stronger when we make a larger turn bluff bet based on board texture. When bluffing at these stakes the most effective bluff strategy is a multiple street bluff if the V can be bluffed.

Vs tighter V the larger preflop bet and small flop bet will get them to fold on the flop more often when that V is holding naked overs or small pairs. As this V type is folding to all bets on the flop when they miss the smaller bet size has meta game advantages. Your other V are watching.

So the 1/3 bet targets a wide range of V and keeps us from having to stack off with our marginal made hands vs a slow played AA KK or small pair that is now a set.

Hope this helps
:):)

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I liked how you played it and would play it the same almost every time depending on the opponent.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is a good spot to use this play, however I wouldn't put this 3bet in your main quiver to be pulled out often. A/J off is quite literally a hand MANY fish go broke with. BUT - I think this is a prime situation where using this hand as a 3bet hand is a good idea.

Question - what do you do if you whiff the flop? check fold ?

T

tt124f

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The flop is standard, but I am not that comfortable 3-bet AJo because we just not flop that well OOP. To be honest, I sometimes fold sometimes flat and rather 3-bet some suited connectors. Maybe I am just a fish but there will be many tough spots 3-betting this hand OOP

rabman50

rabman50

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
GTO solvers have AJo indifferent between 3-betting and calling. This would be villain or population tendency dependent. On the flop GTO solvers recommend C-betting 1/4 to 1/3 pot size 63% of the time. All in all well played from an equilibrium standpoint.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think this is a good spot to use this play, however I wouldn't put this 3bet in your main quiver to be pulled out often. A/J off is quite literally a hand MANY fish go broke with. BUT - I think this is a prime situation where using this hand as a 3bet hand is a good idea.

Question - what do you do if you whiff the flop? check fold ?

I agree regarding AJ. I have lost plenty with it! This action seemed appropriate at the time. Hard to say what I would do if I missed completely. It's so situationally dependent. Probably C-Bet and fold to a reraise.