$1 NLHE MTT Turbo: AQ offset Do I Call

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here I am again 45 player Tourney now down to 14, I am in 9th place 7 get paid. Playing for an hour and then this:

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/624QE5IOP

I don't see how I could fold, I think my opening raise was high enough. A cooler?:):):)

Thank you for posting

This is not a cooler it is 60% for you- a cooler would be AA QQ AK in Villains hand.

This is a great spot to use Equilab and start working with what ranges this player would make this play with and see how much equity you have versus the whole range.

So most players would use the cardschat odds calculator see the 60% and move on but you seem to be more emotionally involved here. So I have 2 points to recommend

1 You state "Playing for an hour and then this"

If min cashing is important to you this is a good spot to make a fold as you will be left with a stack that should get you into the money.
It is okay to play with that mindset- you are not a pro playing nose bleed stakes having to max equity every hand. You do what is good for you so yes you can fold AQ here.

2 You state "I think my opening raise was high enough"

What was your goal when you raised?

By raising this size we only get the V to fold the bottom of their range like bottom 10% which really does not help us that often if we miss the flop. So "enough" to get folds is not the goal for this sizing.

We could be hoping to play a big pot here we have a 22bb stack- so we want the V to jam hands like they did and possibly even AX hands so we raised enough to get them to do that- so that could have been our goal.

The key is to have a very clear idea of what our sizing does exactly in the mind of the villains on our tables.

Hope this helps
:):)

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Repeat Performance

Thanks for the analysis, I did give a little thought to just folding and making into the money, obviously not enough...and in my next tourney, although a CardsChat Freeroll I encountered an attempt at a trap by myself that kinda went south...

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/624QEp7TE
I guess when I flop a set I feel I should be good:):):)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the analysis, I did give a little thought to just folding and making into the money, obviously not enough...and in my next tourney, although a CardsChat Freeroll I encountered an attempt at a trap by myself that kinda went south...

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/624QEp7TE
I guess when I flop a set I feel I should be good:):):)

Thank you for posting.

Sometimes you are just going to lose but could we have narrowed the V's range here enough to warrant a fold?

They way we would do that is analyze the range that we beat that checks this flop but shoves this turn.

So would 86 or 64 43 check back shove?
Would Ad5d 8d7d 5d3d check shove?
What other hands that we beat would check shove?

The other thing to think about is this is a terrible shove by the V a typical -they will think I am bluffing when I have the nuts type of shove.
Which happens in freerolls all the time.

The V also looks at your stack size and thinks they can get a call as well so if you were shorter stacked they might have more bluffs and less value.

Very difficult to fold here luckily you had chips left to play

Hope this helps
:):)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all yes as played you call, and its not a close decision. I am playing on pokerstars right now, so I cant fire up ICMizer, but AQ is far from the bottom of your calling range in this situation. When you play like this with a small raise from SB, and you have this stack size, and the opponent have you well covered, he is printing money by jamming on you. So he should be doing that extremely wide, which to be fair he kind of was.

And for this reason I dont have a raising range in this situation. I fold my worst hands, and the rest I limp to give him a worse risk/reward for making this jam. If he puts in a small raise, then I have hands like AQ, which I will then limp-jam. This gives me fold equity and keep his head down a bit, so he dont raise me, every single time I limp from SB.

So rather than focusing on the result of this hand, you should work on your general SB strategy and understand, when you can have a raising range, and when you cant. You should also work on your mental game, because you are getting upset about some totally standard tournament situations.

It bother you, that you were playing for an hour, and then you failed to cash, because you lost an all-in preflop hand with 21BB. But this is totally normal, and in MTTs with a slow structure you might have been playing for 3-4 hours, when it happen. Also these 45 man SnGs are grinder tournaments. If you play them, you should have at least 3-4 tables running all the time, and a session should consist of at least 10 of them. And then it should really not matter, if you dont cash in one of them, because in most sessions you will cash in 1-2 of the others.

Its not like, this is a situation, where it made any sort of sense to fold your way to the money. A min cash is only 1,43$, which is essentially your money back with some change. An average stack for reaching the final table is 7.500 chips, and an average stack for cashing is a little over 9.000 chips. So with 3.400 chips your only consideration is to win more chips. This was a fine spot to get a dubble up. This time it failed to happen, and then you just register for the next one. Its nothing to get upset about or regret.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I agree with the others. This is an easy call, there's also quite a few worse hands that can call here as well

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here I am again 45 player Tourney now down to 14, I am in 9th place 7 get paid. Playing for an hour and then this:

I don't see how I could fold, I think my opening raise was high enough. A cooler?:):):)
I don't get it. Are you askying if it was a wrong call? You were ahead of your opponent, the call was fine, you just got a bit unlucky.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

On these stack sizes raising pre is fine here if villan is passive - but when it folds to me in the SB I tend to limp alot of strong holdings with the intent of going all in when I get raised.

That being said, this is a snap call for 20ish BB effective. Nothing you can do about the outcome, got it in good and lost. Such is poker.

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both hands you posted here are just coolers. The A Q hand you were ahead and lost the flip, and the trips hand was unfortunate. Even if you didn't try and trap him with the check on the flop, even if you made a bet he would have definitely called at least to see the turn with that straight draw. I don't see a scenario in which you lose less chips here. The fact he played 5 7 as utg 2 after a raise preflop from utg is impossible to predict. I would never have thought he had the straight even after he jammed the turn. Would have thought of a 2 pair at best, more like an A 8 though. Good think you were left with plenty of chips to recover without any issues from that.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree with Jon above - although I seldom limp. Min-raise is more my speed.

And I think I just fold the 33s from EP. They suck and often lose. :)