$1 NLHE MTT Turbo: Again KK Falls

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know how I could've played differently other than folding??
The opponent is a very loose aggressive player going all in post flop on most hands at times he actually has a hand.
My open is my standard for all opening bets 3BB, after that it was ...well just watch:
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/124SCLWtE

:):)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop 3BB is a somewhat large open size with this stack depth. Obviously not a problem with KK, if people are still going to call, but with other hands in your range you generally want to go a bit smaller like 2,5BB. And then you should also use this sizing with KK. A somewhat small detail, but if you use a suboptimal sizing, its going to cost a bit of EV over and over again, and its one of the easiest things to fix.

Postflop you got your chips in with 81% equity, so what do you want us to say? That you should rub your luckbox harder next time, or that you will never again lose, when you are ahead, or when your opponent play poorly? A hand like this is just something, we need to suck up and then move on. "Put another dollar in" and register for the next one.

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's frustrating to see someone play so poorly and get away with it. With second pair he just jams like a not so very smart person to say it nicely. Also I think I've won more with pocket 5's than with pocket kings. I don't know what this hand is all about but it just looks strong preflop but somehow doesn't deliver.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well played! You got all your chips in the middle as a huge favourite! And lost....which is unfortunate, but does happen.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop 3BB is a somewhat large open size with this stack depth. Obviously not a problem with KK, if people are still going to call, but with other hands in your range you generally want to go a bit smaller like 2,5BB. And then you should also use this sizing with KK. A somewhat small detail, but if you use a suboptimal sizing, its going to cost a bit of EV over and over again, and its one of the easiest things to fix.

Postflop you got your chips in with 81% equity, so what do you want us to say? That you should rub your luckbox harder next time, or that you will never again lose, when you are ahead, or when your opponent play poorly? A hand like this is just something, we need to suck up and then move on. "Put another dollar in" and register for the next one.

This sums up almost everything I would have to say as well - the pfr sizing I'd NOT standard on this stack sizing, i think personally that 2.5x here is still a hair too big - under 60bb effective we should be going 2x or maybe even a few ticks above like 2.1x or 2.2x - reason being is when stacks start becoming shallow smaller raises are still leveraging stack sizes well enough to accomplish what we set out to do. I prefer going 2.1x under 60bb effecttive, 2.5x 60bb-100bb effective, and 3x when I am over 100bb effective. Again, this is easily fixed and not a huge problem.

The second thing I am going to beat you up on is whining when you got all your chips in pretty good here...you got a villan to stack off on the flop with 2nd pair, making a move that is only going to likely get called by better or a combo draw with massive equity. Do you not want your villans to stack off with worse?? You wouldn't even post the this hand had you won it - your being results oriented and crying about a lockbox smacking their overcard - such is poker. If you can't handle the suckouts, maybe this just isn't the game for you.

Make the best decisions you can, get your chips in as good as you can over and over and over again - and long term you will win. Stop worrying about what you cannot control - the outcome once you are all in before river cards, is not up to you.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What we have here is a classic case of "Sklansky Bucks." David Sklansky coined the term 20 year ago in his book, "The Theory of Poker." Basically, it was a means of calculating the expected return of your bet when it was made. This hand is a classic example. There were no mistakes, just a 1 out of 10 ace on the river.

One adds their Sklansky Bucks and knows in the long run, those "bucks" will convert to real dollars.