$1 NLHE MTT: Should I be shoving this PF?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software

I need more practice with a big stack at the FT. Should I just be calling here or shoving? Seems that 3betting was a mistake!

NL Holdem $1+$0.10 (3200.00BB)
SB ($143448)
HERO ($273189)
UTG_1 ($110352)
UTG ($2000)
MP ($26239)
CO ($284303)
BTN ($10469)

Dealt to Hero: K J

UTG_1 Folds, UTG Folds, MP Folds, CO Folds, BTN Folds, SB Raises To $6800, HERO Raises To $19600, SB Raises To $143448 (allin), HERO Folds

SB wins: $41200

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The effective stack was around 45BB, and thats way to much to jam over a small open. I also dont like to call a 4-bet jam from him. So the play here is either to 3-bet and then fold, or just call and look to play a small pot in position. And both plays have merit. Even though you are the chip leader, you do have an incentive to avoid a big confrontation with a middling stack like this. If you dubble him up, now suddenly he is the chip leader, and you are a middling stack. So thats an argument for just calling.

However if he is doing this sort of just over min-raising from the SB with almost any two cards, into the chip leader, then I love punishing that with a lot of 3-bets. So dymanics are important here. What has he done previusly, when it folded to him in SB? Limped or given you a walk? In that case this min-raise smells a bit like a trap, and by 3-betting you walked right into to. But if this is the third or fourth time in a row, he has min-raised you out of position, then you probably just got unlucky and ran into the top of his range.

So my main advice is, that on a final table you need to pay attention to, what people are doing. This is, where the real money is distributed in MTTs, and we dont reach them to often. So now is not the time to run on auto-pilot, watch Youtube or have a bunch of other tables running.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, it all depends on what kind of player is your opponent. All three options are fine here, call, 3-bet or go all in, but I wouldn’t recommend last one unless he is loose, and open raise lots of hands. Without info about opponent, I would just call here with all my range, and see what happens on the flop.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really dislike jamming over the minraise. While it does in theory put him totally into the ICM bin, this is a 1$ MTT, and I see a high risk, he wont fold as much, as he is supposed to. And it would really suck to have him make a hero call with A5o or 66 and get his hold, so that we just lost more than half of our stack trying to bluff him. There are 3 players on this table with less than 10BB, and we have 90BB. If we dont at the bare minimum reach 4. or 3. place from such a great position, thats a massive failure.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The effective stack was around 45BB, and thats way to much to jam over a small open. I also dont like to call a 4-bet jam from him. So the play here is either to 3-bet and then fold, or just call and look to play a small pot in position. And both plays have merit. Even though you are the chip leader, you do have an incentive to avoid a big confrontation with a middling stack like this. If you dubble him up, now suddenly he is the chip leader, and you are a middling stack. So thats an argument for just calling.

However if he is doing this sort of just over min-raising from the SB with almost any two cards, into the chip leader, then I love punishing that with a lot of 3-bets. So dymanics are important here. What has he done previusly, when it folded to him in SB? Limped or given you a walk? In that case this min-raise smells a bit like a trap, and by 3-betting you walked right into to. But if this is the third or fourth time in a row, he has min-raised you out of position, then you probably just got unlucky and ran into the top of his range.

So my main advice is, that on a final table you need to pay attention to, what people are doing. This is, where the real money is distributed in MTTs, and we dont reach them to often. So now is not the time to run on auto-pilot, watch Youtube or have a bunch of other tables running.

Guy was solid throughout the tournament and I walked into the trap! I appreciate your feedback, as always. I was very focused on the FT but I need to get better at trusting my reads and using my HUD data.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I really dislike jamming over the minraise. While it does in theory put him totally into the ICM bin, this is a 1$ MTT, and I see a high risk, he wont fold as much, as he is supposed to. And it would really suck to have him make a hero call with A5o or 66 and get his hold, so that we just lost more than half of our stack trying to bluff him. There are 3 players on this table with less than 10BB, and we have 90BB. If we dont at the bare minimum reach 4. or 3. place from such a great position, thats a massive failure.

Thankfully, I did finish in 4th place so not a total disaster. But I should have finished higher. I made a couple mistakes that I will learn from and do better next time.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Guy was solid throughout the tournament and I walked into the trap! I appreciate your feedback, as always. I was very focused on the FT but I need to get better at trusting my reads and using my HUD data.

If he actually had a monster, then flopping top pair with KJ could have been pretty expensive. So maybe we can say, that 3-betting gave you information? :)